Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Axelsson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

I really like the look of this game, and as a long time warhammerish player I find the time and will to paint come along more and more rarely.

I want to play out of the box both with people familiar with miniature wargaming and people who is'nt. Should I go for the Damocles box or the Red Blok + Oni army boxes? I understand that in an army box I get sufficient rules to use whats in the box. Witch is for me?

Any help is welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard, Johnathan!

First of all, be sure to take a look at some of the other posts here in this forum. There are a lot of posts giving some details about play and types of armies here.

After that, you can go to the official AT-43 forums at http://en-forum.at-43.com/index.php. Just be patient and thick-skinned: I've heard it's taking a while to get approval for your login names, and some of the early adopters there are not very welcoming of newcomers. While you're there, download the excellent army builder, Easy AT-43, at http://rcommunity.nazgulworld.com/index.php?page=dl - it's the file called Open R-Community Tools installer.

As for your specific questions about the Damocles box or the Army boxes, I would recommend getting the Army boxes because:
a) you get the necessary number of Army Points (2000) to play scenarios,
b) the army boxes have a good starting variety of troops (infantry and armor),
c) the Damocles box only provides a barebones amount of troops for Therian and UNA, but it does have a selection of useful terrain.

UNA is lacking in several units which are necessary (Steel Trooper attachments, Fire Toads), with no new production in sight.

Now, while the Army Boxes are a good start, you'll need to augment your army with other units quickly. Because of this, the Red Blok Army box can easily be rounded out because attachment and unit boxes are still widely available. The Karmans, while not having an Army box yet, are also plentiful. ONI is playable, but because it is still fairly new, lacks some of the infantry options.

One other thing you should definitely purchase is the Main Rulebook and the Army Books. You can download the meat of the rules here: http://www.at-43.com/pdf_EN/AT43/AT-43_rules.pdf

Finally, Universal Head has put together some magnificent helpsheets, tokens, and cards for use. Download them at http://www.headlesshollow.com/freebies_games.html#at43.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started out and went the army box route (Cog and Red Blok). You will likely find the games very AFV heavy with the starting armies (I certainly did). I ended up dropping another $100 or so to flesh out the two armies a bit, and now I'm fairly happy with what I have.

I would also suggest picking up the rule books (both the main one and whatever armies you get). You can play without them, but I'm glad I purchased them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
Hi Jonathan,

I am more or less in the same situation as you.
As we are both living in Sweden (but me in Göteborg):
May i ask where you ordered (or intend to) order the Damocles set ?

Here in Göteborg is the cheapest i saw around 850 kr !!

Have you found something cheaper ?

cheers,

/Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Axelsson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all of you!
I asked at the official forum too and got only nice, friendly replies, no worry there.

@ Peter: gamemaniacs has the damocles box at a cheaper price. But I intend to check at my lgs first, otherwise I'll get the armyboxes from rackham, because there is a 2 weeks delay time at gamemaniacs for these boxes, not the damocles though. (Had heard some bad things about GM's delivery times you see..)

Please PM me for msn, and we can continue our quest for AT-43 gaming there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Alexander Heijnen
Norway
Halden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good choice to start playing AT-43! The damocles box can be purchased really cheap at Lorpshop.de. Though if you don't wanna play UNA or Therians I won't buy it. Basicly all you need to play are the Armyboxes and the RuleBook and Army books. Though you might want to flesh out your armies as the game seems more balanced at the 3000 points mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
heh!
Exactly where i ordered my copy of the Damocles box =)
30 € seems pretty cheap!

Any tips where the army boxes are tend to be cheaper ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Alexander Heijnen
Norway
Halden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The army boxes don't get any cheaper then about 60 euros or so. They still offer good value for money. The Damocles box a little less so. If you want a functioning 2000 or 3000 pts army you still need to buy a lot of units and search the internet for stores that aren't sold out on the units you want to have.

The UNA army box is scheduled to come out in 4 months tho. So might also be nice to wait a little on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Axelsson
Sweden
Eksjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! I just got a sweet deal on the Damocles box at my FLGS, and thought: What the heck, I'll take two! And the tokens! So tomorrow they should be in my hands and I can start to plan for my next move to make two warring armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Alexander Heijnen
Norway
Halden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two lists to get you started:

http://www.at-43addict.com/therians/therian-2000-point-start...
http://www.at-43addict.com/una/una-2000-point-starter-list/

But I greatly advice you to make an own list with your own preferences with Open R Community Tools and buy what you miss.

For Example My Preferred 2000 pts List is a Morningstar List with all officers being medics:

Fire Toad and Bad Dog piloted by Sergeant A. Borz
Defender Cobra (sergeant)
14 Star Troopers (lieutenant, 2 medics, 2 flamers)
12 Steel Troopers (col. stark, 2 medics, 2 missile launchers)
Steel TacArms (sergeant, laser designation)

I still need to buy a Sergeant Borz mini tho. Proxying just doesn't cut it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.