Dave
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,
I was one of the lucky winners of the Thoughthammer Valentine's Day drawing, so now I find myself considering what I should buy with this gift certificate.

I'm looking for something to help expand my collection. My primary gaming partner is my girlfriend, so I want something we can both play and enjoy. Twilight Struggle has been on my wishlist for quite some time now, and I think we would both enjoy it based on what I know of how it plays and the theme. However, I know we both enjoy Dominion (we only have the base set). So, my question is whether I should get Twilight Struggle or a Dominion expansion (thinking Seaside) as my next purchase.

Realistically I feel that I will have both at some point, but it's hard to say when. I'm concerned with whether or not we'll both like Twilight Struggle (or at least, I'm concerned about my girlfriend liking it... I tend to like most games I play). She likes most of the games in my collection, but ultimately some more than others. The complexity of games like Agricola and Le Havre frustrates her at times, but she mostly enjoys those games when all is said and done. How does the complexity of Twilight Struggle compare to those games?

I'd be happy to provide more information, but perhaps someone who plays Twilight Struggle with their SO can shed some light on the topic (and of course, anyone else who wants to help out).

Your responses are much appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that recommendations besides these two games are more than welcome. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J e f f T o m a k
United States
Missouri City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle isn't necessarily complicated - but it does have a rather large number of rules to remember, and it takes quite a while to play if you're both unacquainted with it (plan for a solid 2 to 3 hours for your first play, but it gets quicker as you consult the manual less and less). That may not be a deal breaker for your girlfriend, but an overly long initial session has certainly perma-shelved a few of my games that I've introduced to my girlie. If she knows this going into it, though, that might mitigate things.

Seaside, though, is a great expansion - I'd pick that one right up, as it adds some fairly interesting elements to the game.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, the sure bet would be the Dominion expansion. It adds new life/replayability to an already great game. I only have Seaside so far, and I love the new Duration mechanic and the much more appealing art. This game and the expansion are favorites of me and my wife.

As a previous person said, TS is long and more involved than Domion. I love TS too, but you are right to pause before assuming your GF will like it. She may, but from what you said I have some doubts. Now, if she loves history, geopolitics, etc, the theme would tip it in her favor of course.

The designer of TS also has some shorter games out (and coming out soon) that you might consider as alternatives:
1960: The Making of the President
Campaign Manager 2008
Founding Fathers

As far as more recommendations, I would need more info about what you and your GF like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion expansions are CCGs in game box camouflage.

Go with Twilight Struggle, it is a great experience! Can anyone say TENSION! It is also better to learn together. Experienced players have a distinct advantage.

Whatever, you decide enjoy the purchase!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
Hey that zombies sign is from Austin.

Cool! My brother lives near Austin, I had no idea Texans had such a sense of humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
"Yeah I killed women and children, killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another and I'm here to kill you Little Bill"
badge
"It's a Sicilian message. It means Luci Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Twilight Struggle. Seaside is a great expansion but if you can only buy one, I would go with a the new gaming experience over an expanded gaming experience. However, I am probably a little biased as I have already decided that Twilight Struggle will be my next purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great. But I would go for the Twilight Struggle. GMT has probably published a large print run on this, but like all GMT games, they do go out of stock and getting them back in print can sometimes be a long wait. Dominion (plus expansions) will more than likely be printed on quite a regular basis and be available for some time. It will also more than likely hit the sale shelves more often than Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthew
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely go for Twilight Struggle. I played it for the first time last night and it was a wonderful experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, awesome. Thanks for all of the advice, everyone!

It's funny though, because I'm still not convinced any one is a better buy than the other. I guess I'll just get both, since I'm terrible at making decisions.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle is clearly the better game, but the real question is, will your girlfriend play it? Have you gotten any feedback from her?

Twilight Struggle is more of an area control game than a war game, and I would pitch it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumpty wrote:
Twilight Struggle is clearly the better game, but the real question is, will your girlfriend play it? Have you gotten any feedback from her?

Twilight Struggle is more of an area control game than a war game, and I would pitch it that way.

She loves Small World, so I think there's definitely area-control appeal. The theme interests her as well, though she's aware that it's thought of as a war game in some circles... Which makes her hesitant.

I think we'll both enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My wife loves Dominion, and will never in a million bajillion years play Twilight Struggle. That said, I now HATE Dominion. After 30-40 players, it just stopped being fun. I feel like the choices are meaninglessly rote and pre-programmed. Conversely, Twilight Struggle feels like a three-four hour long epic tug-of-war--it is absolutely ruthless and brutal in the best way, and every single choice you make is painful and critical and affects the game state in nuanced and subtle ways. In fifty years of play, I don't think I will plumb the depths of Twilight Struggle. In five months of play, I feel like I did so with Dominion, and frankly I refuse to buy any expansions. A game should not need an expansion to refresh my interest in it. There is a reason I no longer play CCG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was in your position I would go for Twilight Struggle but that's cos I rate it a 9 and Dominion a 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
Thiessi wrote:
Definitely go for Twilight Struggle. I played it for the first time last night and it was a wonderful experience.

Really? I thought I'd ruined that game for you for ever. REMATCH TOMORROW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff slaga
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
go with Jambo and u will never look back. easy to learn but nice decisions required.

of course Twilight Struggle is one of the best games out there. As others have stated...Campaign Manager 2008 is a lighter version of systems that are incorporated into Twilight Struggle and highly rec'd by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has sparked a buying spree... I'm waiting for the stock to change at Thoughthammer and then I'm probably going to pick up more than just Twilight Struggle and Dominion: Seaside.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughtful input. I really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Swerda
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for what it's worth, my wife and I play BOTH Dominion and TS. We play Dominion (we have all 3 expansions, so take note) when we want a quick game before bed. We play TS when we want something more involved and have the time to play at least into the mid war. Though we have only once played a full game in one sitting -- we almost always use the excellent excel play aid to track the game progress and continue some other night.

My wife will play war games -- she liked Tide of Iron actually -- but the reason that we don't own it is that it took too damn long to set up. We do like Memoir 44 however, and play that quite a bit now. But the setup is where her patience will really wear thin. If more time is spent screwing around with the game, and less actually playing, then the game goes out the door for her. I actually agree, thankfully for me, but note that. Both Dominion and TS are quick setups. She's also a history buff, and SUPER competitive (and I'm both as well). I think you probably need both of these to really like TS. If your GF is not, I'd go with Dominion. It's a nice little game as long as you don't let yourself burn out on it.

You could also consider Lost Cities. Girls love that game for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Levine
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Dominion, but my girlfriend and I both play TS and it is great. It's a longer game, but it's not as complicated as one would think and I would certainly not call it a wargame. It's a fantastic experience and truly a tense game.

But please don't leave us in the dark. You seem to have made up your mind to get both, but be sure to tell us which one you (and your wife) like more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle was actually one of the first 2 games I ever played from this site(first being settlers of Catan). I now have over 150 games and it is still one of my favorites.

As long as you don't mind playing a 2-3 hour game, there isn't much downtime, the game has a ton of flavor, and it is definitely not too complex. just take it slow, read the rulebook slowly, and give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I just placed my order. I found out Thought Hammer will have TS in stock within the week (or they should anyway), so I went ahead with it before I could have any second thoughts.

As is usually the case when I'm considering purchasing specific games, usually people begin suggesting other things I should look into (something that I am very grateful for). However, this usually means spending more money, and this case was no exception.

I decided to get TS over Seaside mostly due to the availability. I can see dominion and its expansions being available for a very long time, and my girlfriend and I both agree that the base set isn't boring (not in the slightest) yet. So we're going to hold off on that.

I wanted to get some other appealing two-player games as well, and something else that I've been wanting for a while now. Here's what I'm getting:

1 x Twilight Struggle Deluxe Edition
1 x Mr. Jack
1 x Lost Cities
1 x Caylus

I'm pretty pumped. I'll let you all know how we enjoy these games when we get around to playing them. Also, this pretty much means that I shouldn't buy any new games for a while, so please, no more suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B T
United States
Washington
District of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
What did you two end up thinking of your four purchases? Looking at nearly the same selection now for 2 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.