Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The drifting isn't entirely difficult to figure out after sifting through the rules several times. But there are often questions the new sled driver has before starting, such as:
- Do I have to drift at the beginning or end of my movement?
- Can I chose when to drift?
- Is drifting added after my moves, or part of them?
- And more.

These are fortunately answered in the rules, but sometimes it just needs to be put a differently and it'll suddenly be clear. I've put together the following mathematical formulas in the hopes that one of them will click and help out the hapless sled driver:

Formula 1:
Determine your total forward movement, M: (Total of front dog cards) - (brake value)
Determine your drift total, D: Absolute difference between left and right dog. That is no negative numbers.
If D (drift total) is greater than or equal to M (forward movement), then all of your movement must be drift movement equal to M (forward movement), excess drift is ignored.
If M is greater than D then, determine forward, non-drift movement, F: M (forward movement) - D (Drift)

Your movement values are then:
Move straight a number of spots equal to F
Drift left if the left dog is stronger a number of spots equal to D
Drift right if the right dog is stronger a number of spots equal to D

For example:
I have a 3 on the left dog, a 5 on the right dog and a 2 for the brake.
M = (3+5)- (2) = 6
D = [3-5] = 2
F = 6 - 2 = 4

So on my turn, I must move straight forward 4 spaces (F), and drift to the right 2 spaces (D)

If that one doesn't work then try, Formula 2:
1. What is the value of the right dog? R
2. Is it the weekend? Z=1, if not Z=0
2a. If the turn is started prior to the weekend but proceeds and continues into the weekend then z = 3.
2b. If the turn is started during the weekend but proceeds and continues into the work week then z = .5.
3. Subtract your break value (B) from X.
4. How many pets have you fed in the past week? P Note, feeding the same pet only counts as 1, unless it is a Siamese cat or pregnant with more pets, in which case it gets a bonus modifier of 3.
5. What percentage of MSRP did you pay for the game? C
6. What is the value of the left dog? L
7. How many times have you played a game on the top 10? G

Once you have those values let's get started:
M=((L+R)-B)
D=(L-R)
F=M-Abs(D)

If F less than or equal to 0, then drift left a number of squares equal to M. There is no straight movement.

If Z equal to or greater than 1 then enjoy your weekend!

It's as simple as that. And remember, the lead sled dog has the best view, but the trailing one can really slack off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdiddy13 wrote:
It's as simple as that.

Uhhhhhh... huh?

(I don't mean to be unkind, as I'm sure you're trying to be helpful, but I don't find what you've written to be any more concise or easily digested than the original rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Dziuba
United States
Scurry
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done. Thanks for the laugh! You had me going for the first few sentences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Danger wrote:

He still had me going until you posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Nick Danger wrote:

He still had me going until you posted!
Ok, good. Nothing's worse than having to explain a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, Thank you for this post. I was having a bit of a down day and it helped to cheer me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Lamont
Scotland
Dunblane
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdiddy13 wrote:

2a. If the turn is started prior to the weekend but proceeds and continues into the weekend then z = 3.
2b. If the turn is started during the weekend but proceeds and continues into the work week then z = .5.

A small interesting side note - when we first playtested the game we originally had the z number weighted to the percentage of the game played in or out of the weekeng e.g. 17 mins of the game before midnight on friday and 29 mins after midnight would have given a z rating of 2.2356 (which then could be rounded up to 2 decimal place, obviously).
In the end, we found that some players found this slightly cumbersome, and for the ease of appealing to families we changed to the system above.

cheers,
Fraser

Fraser Lamont
Fragor Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Nice!

I find it very interesting how a game will change in subtle ways through its development cycle. It's simple tweaks like these that have made it a favorite with my family (I'm serious about my family enjoying it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
dicemanjnr wrote:
kdiddy13 wrote:

A small interesting side note - when we first playtested the game we originally had the z number weighted to the percentage of the game played in or out of the weekeng e.g. 17 mins of the game before midnight on friday and 29 mins after midnight would have given a z rating of 2.2356 (which then could be rounded up to 2 decimal place, obviously).
In the end, we found that some players found this slightly cumbersome, and for the ease of appealing to families we changed to the system above.

cheers,
Fraser

Fraser Lamont
Fragor Games

I also heard that in playtesting, fish did not originally count as pets for the feeding rule. Is that true?

If so, would it be possible to post the original formula 2 rules?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Lamont
Scotland
Dunblane
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:

I also heard that in playtesting, fish did not originally count as pets for the feeding rule. Is that true?

If so, would it be possible to post the original formula 2 rules?

Thanks.

It's true that fish didn't count towards the feeding rule, but additionally, amphibians only counted as 0.5 each (unless they were pregnant, in which case the modifier made it up to 1.5 each).

Unfortunately, we cant post the original formula 2 rules as they form a large part of our 2010 release's starting rule.

cheers,
Fraser

Fraser Lamont
Fragor Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Unfortunately, we cant post the original formula 2 rules as they form a large part of our 2010 release's starting rule.

Be sure to let us know when we can pre-order!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.