Popular Tags: [View All]
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the summer of 1982 I placed an ad in THE AVALON HILL GAME COMPANY'S magazine looking for an opponent. The ad cost twenty five cents. I live in a town of 10,000 about 30 miles south of Columbus, Ohio. Per chance ... Another subscriber lived 3 miles away in the same small town. Just out of college and living at my parents home, I invited the person over for a burger and some gaming. The parents were grilling out side and we were gaming inside.

I played the French side in the game of Battle of Italy ... not knowing that the other guy was deep into French history and a Franco-phile. We shared our gaming stories, school stories and life histories. We were about 3 years apart in school.

Well that was 1982 - today is 2010 ... We just got done playing Memoir'44 for a few times.

We have gone to conventions together, become part of the orignial founders of the Columbus Area Boardgaming Society (CABS) had some incredible gaming and have become life long friends. Just waiting to have a great celebration when we hit 30 years !!!

SO ... for 25 cents, I have been gaming with the same guy for 28 years ... Less than one cent a year ... Talk about geting your moneys worth !!!

------------------------

PS ... That first meeting was the first and only time we have ever played a game with the French in it and that I played the French side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing games with and against the lady who is now my wife since 1975. We have been married for nearly 27 of those 35 years. While she does not go for war games (cry), she does like the Euros I have taught her and many other board and word games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the ring cost more that twenty five cents though !!!

Congrats ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In two weeks, I will go to my buddy Tim's house and play this month's wargame with him (and others - we have a group meet-up scheduled). This will mark 35 years of wargaming with Tim. We started with the Avalon Hill classics (Gettysburg, Battle of the Bulge, Midway, etc.), and have been going strong ever since!

Last week, I played Afrika Korps with one of my newer wargaming partners, Dan. He and I have only been wargaming for a mere 18 years now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laserdog wrote:
Well that was 1982 - today is 2010 ... We just got done playing Memoir'44 for a few times.

Kinda thought you might say:

Quote:
Well that was 1982 - today is 2010 ... We just got done playing the Longest Day game we began that first week, and I understand a black man has been elected President.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
55+ years: My older sister (by 9 years) got me started in the early 1950s. We only play occasionally now, but we're not done yet.

35 years: I started teaching games to my oldest daughter in the mid 1970s. We still play games at every opportunity.

30 years: I met my wife in 1979, and we've played cards and light boardgames ever since.

25 years: My regular gaming buddy djarv and I started in the early 1980s. Originally it was strictly wargames, which we still enjoy, but we play a bit of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Decker
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Jay. I distinctly remember a few games of Richthofen's War and Afrika Korps back in 1979.

However, if you're looking for "continuous" gaming partners, I don't believe a game of ASL every other year really counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I can't match the length of some of these, our group of four have been playing regularly since 1990, same four people. Very lucky that none of us have moved in 20 years. At that time, we had no kids.. collectovely today we have 12 kids. Gaming through life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the mid 80s I was in the Territorial Army (British part-time forces) in a medical unit and a new nurse called Isabel joined. We got on very well and she said that I would get on well with her husband, Rob, as he was interested in military history too.

Rob was not a gamer in those days. He is now. Must be over 25 years now. zombie

We have become very firm friends, and have travelled to conventions together, and our families have vacationed together. Our gaming is not as frequent as it has been but it will never stop, and shows signs of getting more frequent again as our children grow up.

He is "subbuteo" on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
55+ years: My older sister (by 9 years) got me started in the early 1950s. We only play occasionally now, but we're not done yet.

35 years: I started teaching games to my oldest daughter in the mid 1970s. We still play games at every opportunity.

30 years: I met my wife in 1979, and we've played cards and light boardgames ever since.

25 years: My regular gaming buddy djarv and I started in the early 1980s. Originally it was strictly wargames, which we still enjoy, but we play a bit of everything.

Terrific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james collins
United States
rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not with wargames but with sport games. My friend Mike and I have been playing for about 30 years various baseball and football games (Strat, APBA, Statis Pro). Its a toss up when your best friend and hated rival are the same person, and I wouldn't change a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
I've been playing with a friend since 1969, started in college.. and our gaming group of 4 have been together since the mid 70's.

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I joined Leicester Wargames Society late summer 1980.
Still gaming with the same group of friends every Tuesday night for the past 30 years.
Started as wargamer and drifted into D&D and boardgames.

The laughs, the tears (mostly caused by laughing), the highs, the lows and above all the friendship. Priceless.

On another note I`ve been playing Subbuteo Table Soccer for 40 years this Christmas!. Had my first set as a seven year old just before Christmas 1970.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been gaming with my buddy JJ since we were kids in the early 70's so that's about 39-40 years.

Our last game session was a couple of weeks ago playing Conquest of the Empire II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses ...

If I had put this into the general gaming forum instead of wargaming do you think the responses would have been similar ???

--------------------------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Laserdog wrote:
Thanks for the responses ...

If I had put this into the general gaming forum instead of wargaming do you think the responses would have been similar ???

--------------------------------------------------

No - except for family members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.