Subject: on Kites and Darts and Aperiodic Tilings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a mathematician and I found reading the back story fascinating as I am very familiar with the tiling that was stumbled across. It is one of the two Penrose tessellations named the Kite and Dart Tiling.

It is mathematically very interesting because with simple rules for placing the tiles creates a pattern that repeats itself but not periodically. Most tilings with a small number of shapes you can pick up the pattern move it and put it down and it will look like it hasn't moved, with aperiodic tilings something will change if you pick it and shift the pattern.In other words, even though bits of the pattern repeat, those bits are always coming together in different ways with no simple pattern to describe how this happens.

I am glad that someone has popularised this very intersting mathematical peculiarity, and I encourage the publishers to include a small amount of information about Penrose (the man who invented this tiling, the impossible triangle and many other interesting mathematical objects) in future editions of the game.

For those that want more information about this tiling, or just want explained in a way that doesn't suck look here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_tiling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.