Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No soul had ventured into Dragonfire Castle for nigh on 15 years. Then one fateful day, Sir Rohan, perhaps having heard tales of the untold riches within its walls, but having heard less of the deadly nature of the keep on Wyrm's Crag, entered the Castle at daybreak to try to make his fortune.

The first room he entered was a dead end. A search found no secret doors, so he back-tracked to the Tower, to try a different route, which turned out to be a chamber of darkness. After stumbling around searching for an exit, he found one, but then a portcullis slammed down behind him, cutting off his route back out.

Even a brave adventurer would by now have realised that the gods were not favouring a treasure seeker this day, but Sir Rohan had no choice but to move on. What next? A rotating room, cutting off his escape once again! What foul traps this Castle possesed. Another Chamber of darkness was safely negotiated, and the foul Orcs and Goblins were obviously fearful of Sir Rohan's sword, as they fled as soon as they saw him.

It was well past midday now. He had a collected a fine looking ruby bracelet and a mysterious amulet on the way, but Rohan now sensed he was close to the treasure room - and was that a dragon snore he could hear? Perhaps it was just the other side of this door.......

The door was jammed. No amount of effort seemed to be able to shift it, then suddenly there was a creak, then a 'flash' as a trap went off and......what was this? He was in another room. The amulet was glowing, and now it's glow was fading. Was this one of those fabled amulets of teleportation? Well, Sir Rohan was alive, but the day was also fading fast. An exit must be found. Through this door perhaps? Another flash as another trap was set off. The amulet performed it's magic once again, translating Sir Rohan's body eastwards, but this time beyond the castle walls, 20 feet below ground, into solid rock!

Of course.no one would ever know the fate of poor Sir Rohan, except the castle itself, as it claimed yet another victim.........

Background. Yes, I think it really is about 15 years since i last played this game. I've recently returned to the boardgame hobby, just overwhelmed by the number and variety of boardgames in circulation these days, and I've become a geek and a regular visitor to BGG (with the inevitable purchase of lots of games costing lots of money!).

One of my purchases at Christmas was Runebound, and I haven't played it yet, bit will be doing so soon. It was late on Saturday night and I was still awake, but not prepared to begin a game of Runebound that might last 3 hours - I fancied a quick game of something so thought I'd get Dungeonquest out and re-acquaint myself. It was great fun. I know that it is difficult to 'win' in DQ. My own rule in solo DQ is that the hero cannot start to leave the dungeon until after midday. I haven't left the dungeon with treasure many times at all - but those times when you do are memorable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice solo session, not just because you actually found some use for an amulet! That specific one can be quite the two-edged sword.

I'm sure you'll have fun with Runebound too, but no doubt you will, like many others of us, never be able to really leave that feeling of "I just gotta get out this once from Dragonfire Castle…"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.