Subject: Operation Cobra: Air Pack variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Weaver
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
This scenario starts out with an Allied P40 Warhawk already in the air. The Allied player must issue orders to it or it flies off of the board. Air sortie cards are not used in this scenario.

I played the Axis while my son took the first moving side with the airplane.

He opened by flying the P40 next to my center-section infantry in cover in the hedgerow, pinning them in place. He also had one of his infantry units take cover in the hedges. I played a Right Probe and fired both units in Hebecrevon eliminating two figures of infantry. For his next turn he played the powerful Armor Assault my infantry taking out half of the unit and forcing the others to fall back. I hit back again out of Hebecrevon eliminating the rest of the unit and taking the first point.

When it came my turn again I played Medics and Mechanics. I rolled for the unit that had just been savaged by his tanks. I rolled three figures but only needed two. I ordered them to advance and hit back at the tanks removing two of them from the board. Not wanting to be out done, his tanks opened up on my units in cover near the Lozon River, killing three. My next card was Firefight. I had a serious lack of section cards, but at least I was blessed with usable Tactics cards. No units taken out, but I forced some of his tanks to pull back. Infantry filled up the ground vacated by the tanks on his Move Out card. He advanced 3 units on my left to continue to press my units away from the Luzon and one unit on my right to close on St. Gilles.

I played Right Attack next, eliminating another of his infantry units. He countered with a Pincer Movement that took out one of my infantry units on the left and forced another retreat from the river. I next played a Center Attack that let me bring my elite Panzers into the hedgerows and opened up their field of fire. My infantry in the center opened up killing two of his figures. He then Counter Attacked resulting in no casualties, but did cost me real estate.

Finally I had the right cards in my hand to play the Air Power card I had been dealt. I played AP as Air Sortie in conjunction with Recon in Force. I used the Storch for the first time on the left in an attempt to rescue a very vulnerable infantry unit, all alone and in the open. In the center I brought my tanks out of the hedges to straddle the left/center line and to provide some cover for that lone infantry figure. On the right, my tanks of Hebecrevon opened fire on his last infantry unit leaving but a single figure. I was giving up ground but ahead in points.

I didn’t know it, but my son had run out of good cards. He played Dig In in an effort to protect his last figure. I played another RIF card that I had just drawn allowing me to save my infantry on the left, take cover in St. Gilles in the center, and take out his dug in infantry on the right. Axis 3, Allies 1 or 2. He played Infantry Assault for no affect. He took ground but no units. I answered with an Attack Center. I opened up on some exposed infantry on my left and gained my fourth victory point. At this point he got mad and left to go and watch that sponge guy. I’d have to finish solo.

I looked at his hand and saw his frustration. He had 5 Left cards and no left units. His 6th card was Direct from HQ. I brought up his armor that had retreated some time ago and shift one unit from the center over to the left where he would have on opportunity to use it. Two of his other units took out two figures from one unit and forced another to retreat. I was running out of room pretty quickly now.

He had popped back to the game, between shows I guess, to see what was up. I recapped for him what was going on it lifted his spirits. He played Barrage. We wanted to target my elite tanks. I tried to talk him out of it, not because I wanted to protect my tanks, but to point out a weaker unit. He insisted. He took out two tanks and forced a retreat of one hex.

Time to play Their Finest Hour. I didn’t get to move much, but it got me into St. Gilles. I gave the deck a good shuffle while he played a right probe that did nothing. Lacking artillery, I played Artillery Bombard so I could get my tanks back in action. No hits, but his tanks did need to retreat. And what does he play next? Their Finest Hour. He rolled one of his tank units into Marigny, taking the VP.

Somewhere along my note taking got real sloppy because I was in St. Gilles but must have been force out by a retreat. It must have been late.snore His final play was a center recon that he used to roll a tank into St. Gilles for the win. Final score: Allies 5, Axis 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report! Your report really makes me want to try out the air rules. I have owned the Air Pack for a while now but have not tried the air rules yet. Maybe next time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report Jim, I MUST get the game out again!!! Thanks for writing it and bumping my initiative to get out the air pack too.

DeePee wrote:
Thanks for the session report! Your report really makes me want to try out the air rules. I have owned the Air Pack for a while now but have not tried the air rules yet. Maybe next time...

You and me both! Had it since it came out and only tried it one time. Then, I found out, we played it wrong too...whistle Sure would like to give it a good try again.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report!
We just played Cobra both ways w/o Air Pack
(original rules) and found it favored the
US - 5-2 and 5-3; even w/ lucky German rolling.

Think we played it correctly.
The US advantage in units and cards was
too difficult to overcome for us...
Maybe Air Pack balances it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.