24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Are minis painting mistake reversible ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have no knowlegde of miniature painting beforehand and would like to give it a try, however as my collection do not consist of extra's "experimentable" minis such as LNOE figures and M44, I would like to know if any mistakes painting the minis could be reverse and how? Painting over a mistake would create lumps no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
U Majuran
United Kingdom
Doncaster
S. Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tasty or your money back
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic minis are very difficult to reverse paintjobs on except by painting over which could potentially obscure detail. Metal minis can be stripped of paint (though the technique would potentially eat a plastic mini, esp those that use certain plastics).

If you want to give painting a go, it may be more advisable to buy one or 2 models that you like the look of (plenty of model ranges to choose from, and there are ranges out there which would complement LNOE games) and try painting em up. If something goes awry, you're not reminded of it every time you open up your favourite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ric
United Kingdom
Hove
Brighton and Hove
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other plastic paint strippers available too. Phoenix Paints in the UK produces a good one called Superstrip: http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/superstrip.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
As people have said, you should be painting in thin coats. So long as you do, mistake and even full paint-jobs can be painted over.

Mistakes with excessive paint can't be painted over and need to be stripped.

Metals can be easily stripped, plastics require specific types of product to avoid damaging the mini.

The best thing for paint stripping is a cleaning product called Detol here in the UK. I don't know what the equivalent is elsewhere with any reliability. It works fine on plastics and metals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan
Netherlands
Sint-Oedenrode
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
If you don't have any spare minis, you could buy a small Reaper or any other Collectable mini games piece. You can use that to experiment without risking your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Small mistakes paint over really easily.

Larger mistakes are more problematic. Some can be painted over by reapplying a base coat (I use white mostly). Other need the paint removed from the miniature completely.

My paint stripper of choice is a solution of caustic soda, it is much cheaper than "proper" paint strippers and it works as well or better. However, be very careful with this stuff. It will blind you, it will burn your skin. Gloves and goggles and care are required.

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just paint over it, theres nothing irreversible. Theres several layers of paint on top of each other almost always, so thats not a problem. So far I have never had to strip the paint off of my minis.

Its not hard and you quickly develop more skills. Just go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Lyndhurst
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painting over is obviously the preferred method cause its a lot less work but the best stripper I've used for plastic minis is Simple Green. It's a non-toxic cleanser and its sold at Wal-Mart (check the automotive cleaning aisle if its not in the regular cleaning aisle).

Just soak the mini in the Simple Green undiluted for about 24 hours. scrub it with a toothbrush and it should all come off. For the real tough stuff, you may require a second soaking.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will not be able to remove spray on primer. That stuff bonds to plastic and is very difficult to remove
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cerith Morgan-Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
The best thing for paint stripping is a cleaning product called Detol here in the UK. I don't know what the equivalent is elsewhere with any reliability. It works fine on plastics and metals.

Does it have to be official Dettol? My girlfried bought a Dettol like substance because it was cheaper and it didn't have any effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion of insanity wrote:
Slev wrote:

Does it have to be official Dettol? My girlfried bought a Dettol like substance because it was cheaper and it didn't have any effect.

I don't know what the relevant active ingredients are, so I've no clue what else you can use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cerith Morgan-Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I shall have to try genuine Dettol rather than a Poundland substitute then. I assume it's just the liquid in a plastic bottle rather than a spray etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion of insanity wrote:
Thanks.

I shall have to try genuine Dettol rather than a Poundland substitute then. I assume it's just the liquid in a plastic bottle rather than a spray etc?

That's the stuff. There's a good guide on this web site:
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cerith Morgan-Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great. Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hairfoot O'Grady
msg tools
I have one particular figure that's been repainted twice. The key for me was soaking it in acetone. Nail polish remover will do, but hospital acetone is best.

That's a lead alloy mini, mind you. Acetone will destroy a plastic one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Scannell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good tip for fixing minis mistakes...

Have a clean brush handy as you paint. If you make a small screwup as you paint (going outside the lines), you can immediately dip the clean brush in your water pot and then "mop up" the mistake. You may not completely clean up the errant paint, but you can minimize the damage to the point where a simple touchup will hide the mistake completely.

Pros apparently keep the "eraser brush" tucked into their ring finger so they can flick it into position in less than a second after making the mistake. I'm not that dextrous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Goezinnen
Netherlands
Putten
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A cheap cleaner you can use is carbrake cleaner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
I don't know what the relevant active ingredients are, so I've no clue what else you can use.

Dettol is primarily pine oil I think.
I've heard it works quite well on many kinds of paint but haven't tried it myself.

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Van Pelt
United States
Greenwood
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best practice is to paint the mini correctly the first time. I have gamed for 34 years and have never stripped a miniature. I can't remember ever carring enough about a mini to repaint one either. I do touch up plastic rifles occasionally.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djay16 wrote:
I have no knowlegde of miniature painting beforehand and would like to give it a try, however as my collection do not consist of extra's "experimentable" minis such as LNOE figures and M44, I would like to know if any mistakes painting the minis could be reverse and how? Painting over a mistake would create lumps no?
I'm just starting to paint minis myself, so I've been collecting tips for novices as well.

From your post it sounds like you plan on painting plastic minis, so everything below assumes that. (It also assumes you live in the US; sorry if that's not true.)

Before you paint, wash your minis in regular dish soap to remove any mold-release agent.

For primer, I've had great luck using Krylon Fusion for plastic. So far I've used it successfully on LNOE, Grind, and Descent minis. Black primer is more forgiving if you miss a spot, but white makes a better undercoat for bright colors.

"Magic wash" is cheap to make and works great: Mix equal parts water and "Pledge with Future Shine" acrylic floor finish (it used to be just be called "Future") to make the base. Some people use more water than acrylic. To make your wash, use just a drop of paint mixed into about a tablespoon of this.

I've experimented with the woodstain "dip" method and found it tricky and messy. It really altered my underlying colors in ways I wasn't expecting. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone like me who is just learning the ropes.

Simple Green has been repeatedly recommended to me as a plastic-safe stripper. (I haven't had to try this yet.)

If you're worried about screwing up and want a little practice first, here's the cheap way to give it a shot:

From Dollar Tree buy a pack of plastic toy soldiers or whatever they have. Then from Walmart, buy a can of Krylon Fusion, four or five bottles of Apple Barrel acrylic paints in colors you like, and a pack of small brushes (don't get the cheapest ones; go up one step). All of this will run you about $10, and it's enough to jump right in and try your hand without worrying that you're going to ruin a game piece.

Aside from just laying on paint with the brush, your two main techniques are dry brushing (for highlights) and washing (for shadows). Once you've got the hang of those, you're probably ready to try painting your game pieces.

I've found that painting minis isn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I started off by practicing on some LNOE zombies. After those, I painted these, (the second set of minis I've ever painted in my life):

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Dettol is primarily pine oil I think.

Correct, and it's the oil that gets the paint off.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have no artistic skill at all. Yet I found dry brushing and using washes (ink) the easiest part. It's not nearly as daunting as you may think as all the skill, in the moulds, has already been done for you. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillermo Hernandez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inks are quick, but they have nasty results. Its very difficult to control paint like that and the surface tension of the paint and medium will pull the paint up from the deep crevicies and create a 'ring'.

Two things anyone can do to improve their painting:

1. Wet-pallet
2. Thinned paints

To make a wet-pallet, take a wide, small, shallow container (3"x4" x 1/2" deep), lay down a paper towel two to three layers thick, poor in water to soak the paper towels and then lay WAX paper ontop.
Mix you paintes with water on the wet pallet, roughtly 1-to-1 ratio for most everything.

Covering a mistake with thick paint right out of the bottle is hard to do. Covering a mistake with thinned paints is easier since its not a harsh.

I could go on and on about painting advice, advice that mitigates the mistake you've mentioned above, but this is a world that goes deep, deep, deep.

If you're interested more in improving painting; this is bar-none the single best single source website out there:

MASSIVE VOODOO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Browse through the Mini painters guild forum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djay16 wrote:

All metal figures can be repainted, easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.