Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Gross
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing mostly euro games. Looking to buy a wargame. Primary players would be me and a 15 yr old son. Might want to play with more than 2 occasionally but not very often. Don't want something too heavy.

Leaning towards Tide of Iron because it can play 2-4 but would buy Memoir 44 if it is a much better games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is much easier to learn and teach than Tide of Iron. If accessibility is a concern, I suggest Memoir '44. However, my chief suggestion is to try both first if at all possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, much as I don't like Mem 44 much, (preferring Battle Cry and C&C:A), tie of Iron hasn't really gone over very well I don't think. Read the comments for it.

BattleLore might be a good choice.

Others:
A House Divided
Washington's War (CDG not out yet but similar to We The People)
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Richard III: The Wars of the Roses (Blocks!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
A wargame?

Hmmm?

I have been playing wargames for 30 years and don't think that Memoir is really a wargame. It is a fine game but too much detail has been abstracted for the sake of simplicity that the simulation value is highly lacking.

Tide of Iron is okay. You might also consider Axis & Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 or Combat Commander: Europe would both be good choices.

Tide of Iron isn't worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're a euro-gamer I'd consider Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 as a start. It represents an actual wargame closer than Memoire '44 does; and as stated, Tide of Iron can be finicky for the actual gameplay involved. The other nice thing about CoH is that you'll learn some widely used wargame ideas such as 'line of sight', 'movement', 'tactical response' and strategic use of terrain. You can also learn these things in M'44 but in a much more limited sense, IMO. From CoH you could easily graduate to such games as Combat Commander: Europe, Hammer of the Scots/Richard III: The Wars of the Roses, Napoleon's Triumph, and beyond (The Burning Blue and Europe Engulfed). In my limited wargaming experience, if it's got nice plastic minis it either is a very limited wargame (not really something you're looking for) or is a different type of game masquerading as a wargame.

I'd also recommend CDG's such as Twilight Struggle, it's decendent 1960: The Making of the President (which has some really nice euro and 'press-your-luck' mechanics) and then onto such monsters as Pursuit of Glory.

Finally, I'd look at Canvas Eagles. As a father and son project you could easily have a great looking game that plays better than just about anything else in my entire game collection. It's addictive (can you tell?), simple to teach new players, and rewards multiple plays with better and better win results. Highly recommended.

Whatever you do, make sure to have fun, don't get too frusterated with the sheer weight of some of the wargame rulebooks. It's takes time, but eventually you'll be able to look at a pure wargame rulebook with a straight face and actually know what the heck is being written about because you've got wargame experience with other games.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
It depends on how much of an intro to wargaming you want. M44 will introduce elements of wargaming and is fast-moving. I find it fun its own right, so IMHO you can't go wrong with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane DAmico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me get this out of the way first. Some will say that Memoir '44 isn't a wargame. No it isn't a deep, tactical, "takes hours to perfect your strategy" wargame.. but, do you move around plastic infantry, tanks and artillery on a world war II battlefield? Yea, you do. Sounds like a wargame to me. I think it's a fantastic first wargame.

Axis and Allies is another good first wargame. Any of the Axis and Allies games have very simple rules. A very different perspective of battle then Mem '44 because you are controlling a much broader army across whole countries, not just single, zoomed in battle scenarios.

And as another suggested, if you are looking for something closer to what many people would call a "traditional" waregame then Conflict of Heroes is a good choice. CoH Awakening the Bear was suggested, but the follow up game, CoH Storms of Steel might be a better choice. From everything I've read they revised some of the rules in the second game and made it a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you're coming from a Euro background then you may find the typical wargame length of play a bit shocking. Many of the games suggested here take an afternoon to play or longer. Memoir '44 is the exception and is really sort of a euro-wargame that plays two matches in a bit over an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You haven't played wargames up to now, and you want to get into them with your teen son. In that case, Memoir '44 is a fine choice. It has hexes, line of sight, ranged combat, terrain effects - a great training ground for the aspiring wargamer. It's also well supported and has plenty of expansions that slowly layer more detail onto the system. I've been playing wargames since the '70's, and I'll vouch for M44 as a great start into the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsgross wrote:
Been playing mostly euro games. Looking to buy a wargame. Primary players would be me and a 15 yr old son. Might want to play with more than 2 occasionally but not very often. Don't want something too heavy.

Leaning towards Tide of Iron because it can play 2-4 but would buy Memoir 44 if it is a much better games.

BTW - M'44 supports 2 to 6 players playing in two teams, so no concern regarding having more than 2 players on occasion. And of course, if you go to playing Overlord with 2 sets, you can play up to 8 people (4 per team) - it's a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is currently my favourite game, so it would be odd for me not to recommend it. Get it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gross
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info. Based on what I've read, I'm going to go ahead and pick up Memoir 44. Then, I will look into the other games that were mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you check out Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel. I sold Memoir 44 as it doesn't hold a candle to COH. Having said that your son may enjoy Memoir as a primer for more meatier games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be too late but I'll also push for Conflict of Heroes. It is easy to learn, yet still is a real wargame in which you employ real tactical principles. And it doesn't involve plastic army men (but does have excellent components).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thales Martins
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Conflict of Heroes, because there is the possibility to play with 4, 2x2, or Axis & Allies, for more players.
If you just want a 1x1 game then I would recommend, Combat Commander, or Command & Colors, but it is not a WWII game. Remembering that those 2 are more dificulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer C&C: Ancients but I think based upon your criteria Memoir 44 is a great choice.

But it really isn't a wargame except in theme and the system is much better suited for Ancients theme than WWII.

Personally, I would get Washington's War if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheep wrote:
It may be too late but I'll also push for Conflict of Heroes. It is easy to learn, yet still is a real wargame in which you employ real tactical principles. And it doesn't involve plastic army men (but does have excellent components).

Why do people always take shots at the use of plastic soldiers in this game? Here is the exact same information provided by the M'44 plastic soldiers and the rules of the game, if you reimagine them as traditional "wargaming" counters...

If the game came with counters like these, instead of plastic soldiers, does it all of a sudden make this a better game, or a "real wargame"? I've played traditional wargames since the 70's, and I frankly think the way this info is communicated in M'44 is far more elegant than had Borg and DOW gone the traditional counter route. Now, truth be told, I'd actually be OK either way, but my point is that the same information is conveyed using either method, and I don't see why use of the more elegant method is frowned upon by some. That is, unless some people are uncomfortable playing a game with plastic army men, lest they and their game not be taken seriously enough by bystanders. Not a problem for me, since I know that either way, I'm just playing a game, but maybe others feel differently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Sheep wrote:

Why do people always take shots at the use of plastic soldiers in this game? Here is the exact same information provided by the M'44 plastic soldiers and the rules of the game, if you reimagine them as traditional "wargaming" counters...

Sorry, it was a cheap shot and I apologize.

Plastic vs. counters/blocks doesn't really affect my enjoyment of a game either. I do have a preference for blocks over plastic after playing both BattleLore and C&C:A extensively but that may have more to do with the unit diversity the blocks allow. But then I couldn't imagine playing War of the Ring without the plastic miniatures. And my positive opinion of counters is mostly confined to Conflict of Heroes' 1" counters combined with a ruleset that doesn't require much stacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

Why do people always take shots at the use of plastic soldiers in this game?

My personal issue with the plastic pieces in general is it takes so freaking long to set up and move the pieces, and they don't have any info on them. If they were little chits, I could put them on the board and be ready to play in no time, and then move them easily without worrying about them falling over. Also the plastic takes up too much room on the hex. It's not a problem most of the time, but the 4-tank groups are annoying and we usually put a marker out and replace it once a tank is destroyed. Another major issue (and this is a much bigger problem in ToI) is they don't have info on them so you have constantly to look at a chart. In M44, there are so few types (in the base game) that it is pretty easy to memorize how they move and fire, but when there are several types of units or you are learning the game, you spend a lot of time looking up information (which is almost always present on chits). For the most part, M44 is not too bad in these areas so I enjoy it, but these are pretty much the reasons why ToI never comes out anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Why do people always take shots at the use of plastic soldiers in this game?

My personal issue with the plastic pieces in general is it takes so freaking long to set up and move the pieces, and they don't have any info on them. If they were little chits, I could put them on the board and be ready to play in no time, and then move them easily without worrying about them falling over. Also the plastic takes up too much room on the hex. It's not a problem most of the time, but the 4-tank groups are annoying and we usually put a marker out and replace it once a tank is destroyed. Another major issue (and this is a much bigger problem in ToI) is they don't have info on them so you have constantly to look at a chart. In M44, there are so few types (in the base game) that it is pretty easy to memorize how they move and fire, but when there are several types of units or you are learning the game, you spend a lot of time looking up information (which is almost always present on chits). For the most part, M44 is not too bad in these areas so I enjoy it, but these are pretty much the reasons why ToI never comes out anymore.

I agree that as unit types multiply, the plastic guy format with associated unit capability charts becomes more and more unwieldy. With M44, as you note, there are only 3 basic types of units, so plastic pieces are manageable. The block with symbol format used in C&C Ancients allows the system to work with more unit types, since more info is conveyed on the sticker (it is essentially a stand-up counter). An advanced M44 with stickered blocks might be a cool idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW - since I noted that I used this expression twice in this thread already, I figured I might as well make fun of myself before someone else does...

Yeah, I'm just another crusty ol' wargamer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
jsgross wrote:

If you are used to Euros, I'm going to guess you like the easy rules and simplicity of the game play (not an insult -- an observation, I play them, also).

In that case, I would say Memoir. If you like that, then work your way up to the other. I think you'll really like Memoir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
A wargame?

Hmmm?

I have been playing wargames for 30 years and don't think that Memoir is really a wargame. It is a fine game but too much detail has been abstracted for the sake of simplicity that the simulation value is highly lacking.

I asked a buddy a few weeks ago if he thought Memoir would be classified as Ameritrash, since it seems to have some of the same things: chrome, theme, and lady luck. Upon much consideration, he said he thought it would be more of a wargame than Ameritrash.

I tend to agree. It isn't as detailed as many of my Avalon Hill and Victory Game standards, but I figure just because One-Page Bulge isn't as complex as The Battle of the Bulge doesn't move it to another category, just like Bulge doesn't suddenly become "not a wargame" because it's not as complex as The Longest Day.

Them's my thoughts. But opinions are like bungholes: everyone has one and they usually stink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'ld get Tide of Iron if you're concerned with 'outgrowing' your chosen game too quickly. Memoir was terrific fun that we really got tired of in less than 10 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.