Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 1830 yesterday - first time for most, second 1830 for me (but have played several 18XX).

At the end, all the D trains were purchased. I decided to make them unlimited, even though it clearly states 6 in the rulebook.

This is because I decided to buy a D train with the "latter-operating" of my two companies, from the "former-operating." There then proceeded a stock round, in which I dumped the now train-less company on another player.

The player in question wound up having another company with a 5 train and a 6 train, which they could split into there with minimal impact.

But it begged the question: would this be legal normally? If they had control of no other company, and all the D trains were gone, how can the company be forced to purchase a train, if no other player is willing to sell? Would it default to a "bankruptcy" state, whereby another player is willing to sell for a ridiculous amount of money (say $10,000)? Or are the D trains actually unlimited?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
According to Francis Tresham the number of D trains was intended to be unlimited (although the rules say otherwise).

See 18xx rules difference list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It rarely comes up in games I've played, but we've always assumed the supply of D trains is unlimited. Someone told me that the old PC game had an unlimited stock, but I never confirmed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
While the supply of diesels in 1830 is effectively unlimited (as noted above), there are other games in which the supply of permanent trains is not expressly limited, but can reduce during game-play. 1844, 1848 and 18FR-RCE are three cases that come to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
While the supply of diesels in 1830 is effectively unlimited (as noted above), there are other games in which the supply of permanent trains is not expressly limited, but can reduce during game-play. 1844, 1848 and 18FR-RCE are three cases that come to mind.

Do you know what would happen in such a case in those games? Or is it not possible in those? I've played some where the trains are limited, but not sufficiently to run into this situation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
blueatheart wrote:
Do you know what would happen in such a case in those games? Or is it not possible in those? I've played some where the trains are limited, but not sufficiently to run into this situation...

1844 has a permanent train progression which is long enough to guarantee enough permanent trains for all companies. It doesn't however necessarily guarantee the permanent trains that players may want in their companies. I haven't done the analysis for 1848, but my impression is that it similarly provides enough to guarantee, but that the range and distribution of types/costs is frequently not what (some) players wanted. 18FR-RCE has infinite diesels, but the number of 5-trains and 6-trains and possibly even 7-trains can and will vary in most games, typically with 2-3 and possibly 4 trains in the 5-train to 7-train range being discarded from the game. The infinite diesels absorb any gap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

I would guess the 8 trains run out every once in a while in 1841. There is an explicit rule stating that mandatory train buying is not in effect any longer after that happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.