Dominion: Intrigue» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ironworks Rule Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am wondering how do hybrid cards work with Ironworks. Supposedly I use Ironworks to gain a action-victory card like Great Hall. Do I get both the +1 action (since Great Hall is an action card) and +1 card (since it is also a victory card) or do I have to choose 1 benefit out of the 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soojin wrote:
Supposedly I use Ironworks to gain a action-victory card like Great Hall. Do I get both the +1 action (since Great Hall is an action card) and +1 card (since it is also a victory card)

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
And, naturally, the same rule applies if you use it on Island, or even on Nobles/Harem after playing a couple of Bridges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilbo Baggins
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I need some (newbie) clarification about the Ironworks card I cannot find elsewhere:

Do I actualy get to search my supply pile for any card or do I just draw the top card?

Thank in advance for answering this question!

B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm afraid your question is fairly unclear and it is difficult to understand what it is exactly you are asking.

I think you might have misunderstood how the card works.
Iron works reads
Quote:
Gain a card costing up to 4 Treasure.

If it is an...

Action card, +1 Action
Treasure card, +1 Treasure
Victory card, +1 card

When you are instructed to "gain a card" and it is not specified where from it is always from those available in the supply (which specifically refers to those available to be purchased) such as silver, estates or any of the kingdom cards. This means to take a card of your choice, that meets the prerequisites set (in this case costs 4 or less), from the supply and put it in your discad pile.

Additionally you say
Quote:
Do I actualy get to search my supply pile for any card or do I just draw the top card?

In Dominion there is no such thing as a supply pile that belongs to a player. The supply piles only refer to the cards available to be purchased by all players. I think you might be referring to your draw deck/discard pile in which case the answer is no. However if you choose to gain a victory card such as an estate you would then follow that up by immediately drawing 1 card from the top of your draw deck as the card instructs you to do..

The card you gain comes from the piles which are available for purchase and afterwards the benefit is applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vid Dles
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
glKW6c8i4anfeOwAUOOa wrote:

First, let's get some definitions straight:

A Supply Pile is one of the piles of cards that are available for purchase (Golds, Silvers, Coppers, Victory Cards, the ten Kingdom Cards, and Curses).

A Draw Pile is the pile of cards that an individual player draws from out of their own deck.

A Discard Pile is the pile that an individual player put their cards into at the end of their turn.

Everyone has access to the same Supply Piles, whereas everyone has their own Draw and Discard Piles.

To answer your question:

Ironworks first says, "Gain a card costing up to 4." To gain a card, you take a card from a Supply Pile and place it into your Discard Pile. In this case, it would have to cost 4 or less--so a Silver, an Estate, a Copper, or any Kingdom Card that costs 4 or less will be taken out of its Supply Pile and placed into your Discard Pile.

Then, Ironworks says, "If it is an... Action card, +1 Action; Treasure card, +1 Coin; Victory card, +1 card." Any time an Action Card says "+1 Card" (or +2, etc.), a card is drawn from the top of your Draw Pile and placed into your hand. So, if you played an Ironworks, you could choose to gain an Estate--and take an Estate out of its Supply Pile and place it into your Discard Pile--and then, because the card you gained with the Ironworks was a Victory Card, you get +1 card--so you would draw the first card in your Draw Pile and place it into your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilbo Baggins
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thank you both for the clarification!
I misinterpreted where the “gained” card was coming from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
glKW6c8i4anfeOwAUOOa wrote:
Thank you both for the clarification!
I misinterpreted where the “gained” card was coming from.

For future reference, it is worth being aware that certain words have defined meanings - the rules for Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue both include the defined meanings for terms used on many Action cards, and other expansions add defintions of terms specific to that expansion. Whenever one of these words is used on an Action card, it always has that meaning (unless the card text explicitly says otherwise).

For example,
Dominion:Intrigue Rules (p4) wrote:
"Gain” – when a player gains a card, he takes the gained card (usually from the Supply) and puts it in his Discard pile (unless the card says specifically to put it elsewhere). The player does not get to use the ability of the card when he gains it.

So when Ironworks says "gain a card" that uses the defined meaning of "gain", which includes the fact that the card comes from the Supply (also a defined term) and goes onto your Discard pile (another defined term).

This is certainly true of the English language version - I would hope that the translations into other language have maintained this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.