Subject: A few simple house rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike R
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arkham Horror is one of my favorite games. I own all the expansions and have been playing for quite some time now, both solo and with friends. I thought I'd share a few simple house rules that we've been using.

1) Encounter at starting location
My favorite house rule. At the start of the game, before drawing the first mythos card, each investigator has an encounter at their starting location. This makes the starting locations more meaningful, and also lets us see more stable location encounters. Both good things in my book.

2) Simultaneous movement
Instead of having the investigators move one at a time, we just have everyone move all at once. Two investigators may trade if their paths cross. This makes the game a little easier, which is not what I'm usually looking for in a house rule, but moving one at a time just seems really illogical. Because of this rule, we never bother with the first player token. If a card ever refers to the first player, we just roll a die to decide who is affected.

3) No 'Other' other world encounters
When having an encounter in another world, keep drawing cards until you get one that has an encounter specific to the world you're in. This makes the other worlds a little more distinctive. Sure, sometimes you have to rifle through several cards to find one you can use, but it doesn't take that long. Note that one of the other worlds (Another Dimension, I believe) doesn't have any specific encounters, so you'll have to use an 'Other' encounter in this one case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2) could present problems that actually make the game harder, i.e. how does the bruiser who would move before the closer clear that monster out of the way first if they both move simultaneously.

But 1) & 3) sound good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miika Miinin
Finland
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
Check my Avatar OverText!
badge
Check my UberBadge OverText!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice ideas! I'll be using these next time AH hits the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good rules, and nice name!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
2) could present problems that actually make the game harder, i.e. how does the bruiser who would move before the closer clear that monster out of the way first if they both move simultaneously.

I agree with this. The timing of the turn order can sometimes be very important to follow during movement. Also, turn order can be important to follow when having encounters (e.g. if a gate/monster appears, or if a gate is sealed) and the "first player" is sometimes referenced on cards. So I wouldn't abandon turn order. But I do like #2 in theory, and it makes sense that everyone's turns are happening more or less simultaneously. I would still keep the turn order in place, though, so if more than one character moves to where there's a monster, it is fought first by the player earlier in turn order.

I'm not sure about idea #1. It seems good from a thematic standpoint, but I'm not crazy about starting the game with the added randomness that encounters can involve. The game can be random enough, and I'd rather begin from a point of choosing what to do and where to go.

A similar type of house rule I use when playing solo games is to combine each player's Upkeep and Movement phases. So character 1 has their Upkeep and Movement, then character 2 has their Upkeep and Movement, etc. When I'm controlling 3-5 characters for a solo game, it can be a bit tedious to look through every character's Upkeep stuff separately, and then do their Movement separately, and I like to be able to focus more on each character's turn by combining those phases. (This also helps to be able to remember when a character has to roll for a Bank Loan, Curse, etc.) Yes, there may be a very slight advantage to characters later in turn order getting to adjust their sliders based on whether or not they have to finish off a monster that another character didn't kill earlier in that turn, or whatever, but it rarely has an effect in that sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike R
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:

That's a good point, I'd forgotten about that. So this house rule does make things more difficult in those cases. The bruiser has to go and clear an area of monsters a turn before the gate closer walks through. That makes me like the rule even more.

Grudunza wrote:
A similar type of house rule I use when playing solo games is to combine each player's Upkeep and Movement phases.

That's not a bad idea, we do something sort of similar now. We do upkeep actions like rolling for loans, etc. at the beginning, but everyone can adjust their skill sliders during movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoliDeoGloria wrote:
1) Encounter at starting location
My favorite house rule. At the start of the game, before drawing the first mythos card, each investigator has an encounter at their starting location. This makes the starting locations more meaningful, and also lets us see more stable location encounters. Both good things in my book.

I did this too, until one game had two Investigators go to another world for an Encounter and then return, and BOTH got Lost in Time and Space before the game even started. No one wanted this rule after that.

Quote:
2) Simultaneous movement
Instead of having the investigators move one at a time, we just have everyone move all at once. Two investigators may trade if their paths cross. This makes the game a little easier, which is not what I'm usually looking for in a house rule, but moving one at a time just seems really illogical. Because of this rule, we never bother with the first player token. If a card ever refers to the first player, we just roll a die to decide who is affected.

Whatever works, I suppose. But you're kinda robbing the game of those times when weak Player 1 can't move until beefier Player 2 kills the Dhole in the Street outside Player 1's Location. And there are far more cards naming the First Player now--what about Quachil Uttaus' slumber ability?--that you should get in the habit of at least passing the little chit around, even if you ignore it during the Movement Phase.

Quote:
3) No 'Other' other world encounters
When having an encounter in another world, keep drawing cards until you get one that has an encounter specific to the world you're in. This makes the other worlds a little more distinctive. Sure, sometimes you have to rifle through several cards to find one you can use, but it doesn't take that long. Note that one of the other worlds (Another Dimension, I believe) doesn't have any specific encounters, so you'll have to use an 'Other' encounter in this one case.

I did this for a while too! Then I began to notice that I was seeing a lot of the same specific Encounters over and over, and it occurred to me that I wasn't seeing ANY of the "Other" Encounters. That was an entire third of all possible Encounters I was missing! So it's a little "damned if you do, damned if you don't", I guess. (How Arkham!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Thomas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding:
"...I began to notice that I was seeing a lot of the same specific Encounters over and over, and it occurred to me that I wasn't seeing ANY of the "Other" Encounters. That was an entire third of all possible Encounters I was missing! So it's a little "damned if you do, damned if you don't", I guess. (How Arkham!)"

What if one applied hous rule #3 No 'Other' other world encounters to only one of the two other world zones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike R
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JuggernautJ wrote:
What if one applied hous rule #3 No 'Other' other world encounters to only one of the two other world zones?

That's a good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.