World at War: The Untold Stories» Forums » General

Subject: The East Germans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Price
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Recently re-reading Zaloga's book "Red Thrust" (a fictional account of a 1990 WarPac invasion of W.Germany) and he comments on distinctions between the EG Army (NVA) and the Soviets stationed in Germany. The Germans apparently look down on the average Soviet soldier as simple, ignorant, lacking motivation and lacking proper equipment maintenance procedures. Man for man the Germans are implied to be a potentially better fighting force than their Soviet comrades.

I wonder if this deserves a "Designated Formation" chit?

What they lack in modern equipment, they make up for in other ways perhaps.

Steven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lohse
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess would be that there will be a designated unit chit for each of the WP countries, although how often they will be used is another question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
The equipment of the east german army was in warsaw pact terms very modern. The equipment was on par with the soviets, except tanks and some special weapons. First line units used the BMP-1, also a modernized version called BMP-1P with the missiles from the BMP-2, a small batch of BMP-2, SA-13, BTR-70, SA-8b, a growing number of T-72 and since 1985 a modernized version of the T-55 with addon armor and an better fire direction systems (for some T-55 with AT-10 Stabber missiles). There were no BTR-152s in first rate units (2 PanzerD and 4 MRD) and second rate units (5 reserve MRD) as infantry fighting vehicles in 1985.

But the east germans were also trained with soviet tactics.

So I propose no to use to many "designated formations" chits. The east germans should have a higher morale (7) than normal soviet troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.