Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Step up from Samurai rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sutanto Joji
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all, I'm currently looking for a step up game from Samurai. I played it at my office, usually at lunch break and after hours. Currently, I'm kinda burnt with samurai (40+ plays in a month), so I'm looking at alternatives.. Previously, I've been playing fairy tale for 50+ times..

I'm kinda confused now between these choices, please help..
Tigris & Euphrates
Power Grid: Factory Manager

additionally, how those two compares with At the Gates of Loyang

thank you all
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joehn wrote:
Hi all, I'm currently looking for a step up game from Samurai. I played it at my office, usually at lunch break and after hours. Currently, I'm kinda burnt with samurai (40+ plays in a month), so I'm looking at alternatives.. Previously, I've been playing fairy tale for 50+ times..

I'm kinda confused now between these choices, please help..
Tigris & Euphrates
Power Grid: Factory Manager

additionally, how those two compares with At the Gates of Loyang

thank you all

Tigris & Euphrates >> Factory Manager, in my opinion. If you liked Samurai, T&E is DEFINITELY a step up, and an enjoyable one at that.

Just an opinion... I haven't played Loyang yet, so can't comment.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sutanto Joji
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
is it really enjoyable? One main thing is, i really appreciate replayability.. Because, my samurai has been played many times. Will it stands the test of time? Will it get stale?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joehn wrote:
is it really enjoyable? One main thing is, i really appreciate replayability.. Because, my samurai has been played many times. Will it stands the test of time? Will it get stale?

T&E? Stale? Heh heh... you're about to enter the rabbit hole.

Samurai is a light game... T&E is much heavier. However, it's not burdensome in that heaviness. You'll be challenged to think and plan much more in T&E.

T&E is like an onion... it's layered... it's depth is revealed with each play. As the years pass, my respect for Reiner Knizia wanes -- but THIS game... this game is his masterpiece.

This, in my most humble opinion.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a replayable game, T&E is probably the way to go. Note that it is longer than Samurai though.

Samurai is a fairly "clean" design with a random draw of tiles. China is a different type of game, but it has a random draw of cards, is a very clean and elegant design, and plays quickly. For 3-5 players.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sutanto Joji
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
is T&E playable in 60 minutes then? We usually will repeat playing, like Samurai, we finally can crunch the game just about 30 minutes including set up and tear down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joehn wrote:
is T&E playable in 60 minutes then? We usually will repeat playing, like Samurai, we finally can crunch the game just about 30 minutes including set up and tear down.

You never mentioned how many play... that would be a very important bit of information here.

If you play with three, T&E -- once everyone has the rules down -- would be able to finish in 60 minutes, I'm thinking. It would take effort to limit the amount of downtime between turns, as it can be a deep game.

I'm thinking it's pushing it, but it can be done. I would almost bet that you would enjoy it, even if a little rushed, as I would rather play a fast game of T&E than none at all.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McFadden
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure that Power Grid - Factory Manager or The Gates of Loyang will fit your time constraints. Gates of Loyang lists as being a 2 hour game - I have only played once with it taking about that long. Power Grid - Factory Manager can also be a long game. While it is listed as a 60 min. game, i would suggest that it could be prone to serious AP with certain players.

I personally agree that T&E is a masterpiece but I also think you would be hard pressed to get a game in under an hour consistently. Try it here on the bgg first to get a feel for it ... Maybe even play with the people who you play with at lunch & see what everyone thinks.

Some other games you might consider would be:

Ingenious ... I haven't played but have heard very good things about this. Also by Reiner Knizia. The listing in BGG suggests that it is a 45 min game.

Torres ... Our gaming group has been playing this often in the last few weeks and it is a marvellously tense and exciting game. I think you can finish this game within an hour, especially after you understand all the action cards you have available.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sutanto Joji
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
well, it varies..
i usually have 3-6 people group.. mainly divided into 2 groups. But usually, there's 2/3/4 that play.

I guess, we just have to try to find out..

anyway, no opinion from Factory manager?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I find Factory Manager too lengthy for one hour. Tigris is quickly set up. Still, you'll have to play "Speed T&E" to fit a three player game in under an hour... but I think you can STILL DO IT and STILL HAVE FUN.

You'll get a feel for the game and you'll have a deeper appreciation for it when you CAN take your time.

But it's a stretch, still. Give it a shot and see what happens. Your first session should be spent just going over the rules and getting familiar with the mechanics, as opposed to playing an actual game.

An alternative is to print a two-player board variant (which is good) from the files section. That would speed things up a bit, but give three a shot first (it's better with three or four).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sizzling_roller wrote:

Torres ... Our gaming group has been playing this often in the last few weeks and it is a marvellously tense and exciting game. I think you can finish this game within an hour, especially after you understand all the action cards you have available.


Great game and a I think a really good fit for what you're looking for . . . Easily accessible To beginners yet deep enough for serious gamers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.