Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: The more i read about this ,the more i want it...but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After devoting 3 or four month to relatively fast games like Neuroshima Hex!,Memoir'44 and Samurai ,I found myself craving for something more epic.Firstly i was put off by the hype surrounding Runewars and to add insult to injury I am not a big fan of the Runebound universe(Being veeery disappointed by Descent and not liking the "cheesy" fantasy artwork ).But i enjoyed Corey's previous works ( especially Starcraft) and the rumor that Bruno Faidutti was involved in the playtesting cemented my interest ( Not to mention the nice plastic miniatures ).

And while i am sold on this one there is one small stupid niggling "But": Yes it is the hero part.I don't have the problem that it is underdeveloped or tacked on.I have a problem that it seems like a pure luckfest which is crucial to winning what it seems very strategical game.I don't mind healthy doses of luck nor pseudo RPG adventures but to me it follows very underwhelming pattern :[Get Quest/Go to the hex in QUESTion/Cross fingers that you will pass the check/Cross fingers that it will be a Dragon Rune/Rinse/Repeat].I haven't actually played the game so i hope i am wrong on this one:So is there actually strategy when playing the hero part?

And another totally unnecessary fanboyish question: How is this game compared to Starcraft cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
if one hero gets a little lucky with his quests, every enemy hero gets a chance to get lucky killing him and stealing his rewards.
there are also season events and tactics cards which can help kill/coerce heroes, if you just cant seem to get a quest done.
You can also get more quests and more heroes easily enough, so with 3 heroes and 3 quests, you can really limit the influence of a little luck

I have played this many times, and never felt I had an impossible quest... just that it might take 1 or two more turns to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Get more heroes to round out your Hero attributes, if your quests don't seem to mesh with the Hero you start with.

Also, note that Heroes do far more than just quest. There are several Tactics cards that can swing things that require a hero in a certain area, and harassing other heroes to steal their stuff can be good, too.

Work the Fate deck - know when the best time to attempt a quest is, and when it may be better to go exploring elsewhere.

Use the Exploration tokens. Yeah, they still have luck involved, but many of the more useful ones require your armies to control them - the Heroes just FIND them.

Overall, in the games I've played, I have found the Heroes to be somewhat luck-based, but not so much that the luck cannot be managed effectively and meshed with a general game strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your fears are unfounded. Some will drive their heroes like pack animals until they find what they need for a Dragon Rune. Some will use their heroes to assist the armies. Some will use them to hunt other heroes. It depends on which ones you get. Sure luck can have a hand there, but if you don't set yourself in a rigid frame of mind as to what you want heroes for and adjust based on what you get, you'll be fine. You can even totally ignore the heroes and not "automatically lose" by any means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Runewars to be superior in every way to Starcraft. Especially the one that counts most: FUN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Starcraft BG. I think it's just a great galactic war type game.

I love Runewars too (though I haven't played it quite as much yet). I don't think the games are very similar at all. While both have a combat card resolutions system, they really don't have much in common. Starcraft is about brutal war, whereas Runewars is a less concerned with direct confrontation. (At least, innately. You WILL have to fight battles to win the game.)

I own both Starcraft and Runewars, and they are sufficiently different that I don't feel foolish for owning both.

I like the Heroes and the way they're integrated into Runewars. I think a lot of players come in with certain expectations, but I find the heroes in the game work well. I'm not sure I would want them to be more complicated. And I think claims that they're too luck based or not involved enough in the game are wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This is so, so true.
Heroes are pretty much a mixed bag. There is the questing aspect, but with tactics cards, heroes can completely sway battle.
For example, there's a couple that let you either take control of all neutral units in an area (even if allied with another player) or have all neutrals retreat. A couple let you build a stronghold for free without having to spend the resources or the order card to do so.
Not to mention the rewards that heroes get also help to influence troop movement and some heroes themselves have abilities to help an army on the warpath. Not to mention that they can move freely throughout the battlefield. A hero can be a reckoning force if used appropriately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freelunchpirate wrote:
And another totally unnecessary fanboyish question: How is this game compared to Starcraft cool

Speaking as a guy who was horribly disappointed with Starcraft, I hope it's nothing like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
(At least, innately. You WILL have to fight battles to win the game.)

I'll have to disagree. It's quite easy to use Tactics/quest cards to supplement your Runes enough to have a relatively easy non-combat win. This is how our first game went down. I used mountains to make a natural funnel that was awkward for the opponents to get into. They took care of themselves trying to be the one to reach my rune-rich lands. All I had to do was stave off fall and win the winter bids for the wining runes. It was glorious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but I don't think that can be done every game, or even most games. You have to have the right mix of Tactics cards to pull something like that off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno.

I guess our games have just been a bit more defensive since we're new to the game; but thats the trend we see. /shrug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players are in your typical game? It may be due to the aggressiveness of the group, too. If one or more players is very aggressive right off the bat (like we tend to be), hunkering down and turtling won't be effective long, especially if the aggressive players are stealing all your food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game yesterday. I was all set to cringe when playing my heroes, hearing so much negativity about them in some of the reviews/forums.

Just the opposite, I thought the heroes were perfectly balanced and opened up several corses to victory. One of the duels we had was epci, ending in us both dying, then, it was another "hero sprint" to see who could get the dropped rewards. I got my hero there first, but my opponent had stolen my Title card from me (the one where 3 rewards=1 rune) just before I got to the pile of rewards. surprise

It's obvious to me, if the hero's were stronger, and could take their place in armies, the game would wind up being all about making a "Hero stack of death". Armies, production, resources, influence, even battles without a Hero in them would be mundane and near useless.

I have no doubt FFG must have tested this game up one side and down the other, and surely the heroes were much more powerful in many earlier builds. And they realized if they did'nt tone them down, and make them a "cog" in the game instead of a mini-army unto themselves, that they minus well call the game "HeroBoundWars".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.