Subject: Zombie Alley!!!! Quick Solo Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 1-player [+] zombies [+] solo [+] [View All]
Luke Brown
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
This is a quick-play solo Space-Invaders like variant for Zombies!!!. I've played about 10-15 games so far and the average time is 15-30 minutes per game. This is still a work in progress somewhat so I'd love to hear any feedback/suggestions/tweaks. I should also mention that the game involves dice rolling somewhat heavily. Well, here is the game:

Theme/Backgroud:
After surviving the Zombie infestation you are driven down an alley. The only escape is a locked door at the end of the alley. You could pick the lock but it takes time, which you don't have as the zombie hordes are advancing. Fight off the zombie menace to give you enough time to pick the lock and escape.

Components:
From Zombies!!! 2nd Edition

8 Map tiles (the more spaces they have [like the town square or helipad] the better)

Zombies!!! Tokens

1 Shotgun guy (this is you obviously)

1 d8

1 d4

3-4 d6

Possibly a bullet token from Zombies!!!

Possibly 3 of some other counter (I use the hearts from Zombies!!!)

Some stackable counters, as in checkers, poker chips, backgammon chips, pennies, etc...

Setup:

Tile Setup:
Set up the tiles in a tower, 2 on the x-axis and 4 on the y-axis, like this:
|_||_|
|_||_|
|_||_|
|_||_|

Every Space is a legal space, so each tile has nine legal spaces (like the helipad).

here is another representation of the board Where X is the legal spaces. And S is the Shotgun guy's zone. And Z is the starting Zombies. (Y is not used for the game):
000 123 456 - Columns
12 |XXX|XXX|
11 |XXX|XXX|
10 |ZZZ|ZZZ|
09 |XXX|XXX|
08 |XXX|XXX|
07 |XXX|XXX|
06 |XXX|XXX|
05 |XXX|XXX|
04 |XXX|XXX|
03 |XXX|XXX|
02 |SSS|SSS|
01 |YYY|YYY|
|
Lines

Shotgun guy starts arbitrarily on line 02 and moves left or right on this line only. 6 zombies are placed on line 10 (1 on line 10/ column 1, 1 on line 10/column 2, 1 on 10/column 3, etc..)
Shotgun guy (you) starts with 6 bullets.

Goal:
Seal off each column by piling bodies of Zombies, which gives you enough time to pick the lock and escape.

Rules:
1. Move Zombies

Roll 1d6 and 1d4

d6 determines what column of zombies moves. d4 determines how many spaces.
So if you roll a 5(d6) and a 3(d4), all zombies in column 5 move three spaces down (toward the player)
a) A wounded Zombie moves 1/2 the movement rounded up
b} To overcome obstacles (climbing over bodies) an extra movement step is required
c) A blocked Zombie will move left or right if able
d) Only one Zombie per space is allowed
e) If a Zombie enters the Shotgun guy's Zone (line 2) you lose
f) Spawn a Zombie in line 12 for whatever column moved. EG: If I moved the Zombie in column 5, i put a zombie in line 12 of column 5. This Zomb moves an all subsequent column 5 moves.
g) Zombies move as far as able

2. Shotgun Guy Actions
2 actions are permitted per turn, these can be done in any order

a. Move
move any number of spaces left or right on line 2
b. Attack
Every attack uses 1 bullet, regardless of success or failure

There are 2 values taken into consideration when attacking
1. Range: You can only hit Zombies up to 7 spaces away. To hit a zombie 7 spaces away you must roll an 8 on a d8. To hit one 6 spaces away: a 7 or 8; 5 spaces away: 6,7, or 8; 4 spaces away: 5, 6, 7, or 8. The closer the zombies get, the easier they are to kill.
2. Critical hit: Hitting a zombie isn't necessarily a kill. You must roll a d6 to determine if your shot killed the zombie or not. 3-6 is a head shot and the Zombie is dead. 1-2 is a bad shot and the zombie is wounded but still alive. Any subsequent hit on a wounded Zombie is a critical hit and the die need not be rolled.
3. If you manage to kill a zombie place a marker on the space that you killed it. These markers represent the piled bodies of zombies. If you manage to kill 3 zombies on 1 space you effectively "seal" that space and zombies cannot climb the wall of bodies. in other words: Zombies can climb over 1 body or 2 bodies (costing either 1 or 2 extra movement points) but they cannot climb over three bodies. If you manage to block every column off so zombies can't get through you have enough time to pick the lock and win the game.

c. Search the room
roll a d6
1. 1-4: you find 3 bullets (you can carry 12 max)
2. 5-6: you find a bottle of whiskey (3 max, I use hearts to represent these)

d. Drink the Whiskey
Discard a whiskey token and step forward 1 space, make an attack, then step back 1 space. This is one action and does not take any movement. All attack rules are followed, basically makes your range +1.

Errata:
I want to create a "clock" for after you seal off 4 or 5 columns. In the games where I was able to do that, it took an excruciating amount of time to what until the last column was rolled and I could pick off the last zombie. I think in this amount of time i could have "picked the lock" so I want to represent this in the game. Maybe after 4 or 5 columns are sealed I start a spindown counter or something?

That's basically it. Forgive me if this is confusing, it's extremely intuitive to play. Fast and furious, and also quite nail bitting at times. I'd love to hear any questions, suggestions, or comments. Let me know if you don't get my rules/explanations.

*update* 2/16
Alternate Game/wincon ideas:

(These are largely untested. Just some ideas to maybe incorporate/ hash-out)

1. You lost your lock pick set so you must destroy every single zombie in the pool to win. (In the original version, I was just putting the Zombies back into the pool. In this one don't.)
a) You could play a more strategic or longer game with body piling rules
b) No body piling rules! Nothing to slow them down except your bullets!

2. Different Weapons
a) Shotgun - always a critical hit, but range is reduced to d4
b) Sniper Rifle - Range increased to d10, always a critical hit, possibly takes 2 actions to fire.
c) Grenade - range d4, always critical. Destroys everything in adjacent spaces, that includes bodies.
d) Speed tablet - perform 3 actions during a given turn (taking the drugs is not an action itself)

3. Super Zombies/ bosses
a)take more hits to kill
b)can climb over bodies with not movement loss
c)possible able to destroy walls

4. Co-Operative
a) Either You each have your own board and you play back to back, with the ability to move inbetween boards.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
/----p1|p2----\

b) Or you could set up the boards side by side and play on the same line.

|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Frizzell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, looks pretty cool. I'll try this out soon. The rules are pretty self-explanatory. Good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job. Had me thinking about that party in Resident Evil when the Umbrella mercs are fighting their way down the alley. With some tweaks, I wonder if we can accomplish that? Hmmmm.

Thanks for the variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff, Luke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler L.

Iowa
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Nice mini-game variant! I like it! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Frizzell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it, and I loved it. Then only problem I had was the fact that I didn't have any of the right dice. I had to modify the rules a little to use a D20 for the D4 and D8. I lost, but I assume that because I didn't have the right dice

I really like the idea of weapons and bosses. I only wish the game was a little faster, is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Brown
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
thanks for giving it a shot, I'm glad you liked it. To make it faster maybe adjust the wall of bodies count to 2 or even 1 instead of 3? Or if you're sadistic, roll a d6 for zombie movement. This was my original rule and the game can end very quickly (you die)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Frizzell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm retarted. I was doing 5 zombies per pile. So, I guess the actual rules would be better than making my own up... Just realized I wasn't doing the extra movement for zombies climbing piles of bodies either...

Thanks for pointing that out, I'm gonna retry after Wednesday (gonna pick up some new dice at my comic book shop while I'm there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.