Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys!

We were playing some advanced games of TtA this weekend and some doubts came up, so I'd be very thankful if someone can help us

1) Hoy many culture points are age II and III technologies at the end of the game? In the basic game rules, age I techs worth 2 points each but I couldn't find anything for I and II in the advanced/full game. Should it be 4 and 6 points for II and III respectively?

2) When colonizing, only bonuses related to colonizing apply, and tactics bonus is applied when colonizing only if you sacrifice the army, right?

3) About the urban limit indicated by the government, which statement is correct, supposing I have Despostism (max 2)?
3.a) I can have 1 lab of age A and 1 lab of age I => 2 labs in total, that's my maximum
3.b) I can have 2 labs of every age. For instace, 2 labs of age A, 2 labs of age I, etc.
3.c) Theaters and Labs are different types of urban buildings so I can have the maximum number of them of each type. This is, 2 theaters and 2 temples.

I'm sure I'm leaving some more but can't rememeber now.

Many thanks in advance!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martti Lauri
Estonia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

1) In Advanced (and in Full) Game you don't get points for technologies anymore. Culture points are generated by the buildings. (I think there was an Impact in Age3 which awarded culture points based on technology cards aswell, but it would only apply if it gets seeded into Future Events (Full Game) or gets drawn before the game (Advanced Game)).

2) Yes. Bonuses from Wonders, technologies, bonus-cards and sacrificed military units (also add military tactics bonus if you sacrificed units which make full army)

3) Correct ones are 3.a and 3.c. You can have total of 2 urbans buildings of one type. Small text on the upper right corner and same icon on the card background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cartesius_esp wrote:
1) Hoy many culture points are age II and III technologies at the end of the game? In the basic game rules, age I techs worth 2 points each but I couldn't find anything for I and II in the advanced/full game. Should it be 4 and 6 points for II and III respectively?

2) When colonizing, only bonuses related to colonizing apply, and tactics bonus is applied when colonizing only if you sacrifice the army, right?

3) About the urban limit indicated by the government, which statement is correct, supposing I have Despostism (max 2)?
3.a) I can have 1 lab of age A and 1 lab of age I => 2 labs in total, that's my maximum
3.b) I can have 2 labs of every age. For instace, 2 labs of age A, 2 labs of age I, etc.
3.c) Theaters and Labs are different types of urban buildings so I can have the maximum number of them of each type. This is, 2 theaters and 2 temples.

1) Zero. The points value is only in the simple game.

2) Yes.

3) (c) Two of each type of urban building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Don't know, I only play the Full Game, and there you don't get anything for Technologies.

2) Right. Unit strength + Colonization Bonuses (+ Army bonuses).

3) 3a and 3c are true. So you can (for example) have two Age I Temples, one Age A Lab and one Age I Lab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cruz
Portugal
Arcozelo - Vila Nova de Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paka wrote:

2) Yes. Bonuses from Wonders, technologies, bonus-cards and sacrificed military units (also add military tactics bonus if you sacrificed units which make full army)

I don't think bonuses from wonders and technologies are included in the bid you can make because that it's part of your civilization strength not you units strength. Only if that bonus is aplied to units and / or it is refered that it's colonization bonus.
So, is military units sacrificed (plus the bonus from Leaders/Wonders/Technologies aplied to units) plus Tactics if you sacrifice the entire army plus Leaders/Wonders/Technologies (if has specified bonus for colonizing) plus bonus cards.
Please confirm if my point of view is correct or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dugy wrote:
Paka wrote:

I don't think bonuses from wonders and technologies are included in the bid you can make because that it's part of your civilization strength not you units strength. Only if that bonus is aplied to units and / or it is refered that it's colonization bonus.
So, is military units sacrificed (plus the bonus from Leaders/Wonders/Technologies aplied to units) plus Tactics if you sacrifice the entire army plus Leaders/Wonders/Technologies (if has specified bonus for colonizing) plus bonus cards.
Please confirm if my point of view is correct or not.

Right, but I think that's what he was saying as well. To be even more specific: the Colossus is the only Wonder, Cartography/Navigation/Satellites are the only techs, and James Cook is the only leader whose bonuses could apply to colonization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cruz
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will M wrote:

Right, but I think that's what he was saying as well.

Thanks for the confirmation. That was just what I tought, just want to make it more clear.

Will M wrote:

To be even more specific: the Colossus is the only Wonder, Cartography/Navigation/Satellites are the only techs, and James Cook is the only leader whose bonuses could apply to colonization.

Great that you have pointed out the specific wonders/techs/leaders with colonization bonuses.
I didn't recall all the examples. Thanks for pointing them out. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will M wrote:
To be even more specific: the Colossus is the only Wonder, Cartography/Navigation/Satellites are the only techs, and James Cook is the only leader whose bonuses could apply to colonization.

Actually, Genghis Khan's bonus applies to colonization too, because he increases the strength of your mounted units by 1, so when you sacrifice a knight it counts as 3 towards your bid, not 2. I think Napoleon's bonus would also apply to colonization, if you wanted to sacrifice a whole army for a colony that late in the going.

Alexander's bonus, on the other hand, does not apply to colonization, because he doesn't increase the strength of your units. He just raises your civ's strength rating by one per unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's bonus does not apply. It increases your civ strength, not the strength of the army or the units themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barry
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cartesius_esp wrote:
Hi guys!
1) Hoy many culture points are age II and III technologies at the end of the game?

In the Advanced game, you draw four random Age III events (at the start) to determine what will score points (over and above whatever you have accumulated before the end of Age II). One of these might be an Impact which gives 4 culture per Age III tech (or Age II techs for the Advanced game); but there's a pretty good chance that it won't come out. Otherwise, technology cards as such do not score any culture at the end of the game.

The Full game is much richer and different again, of course, once you (and your fellow players) have played an Advanced game or two. Aside from the abovementioned Age III scoring event, the "First Space Flight" Wonder (if you complete it) will also give one point per level of each of your technology cards. (But of course this is not an end of game scoring event - has to happen during someone's turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
First of all, thank you so much for your quick answers!!

1) Wow! What a surprise!! :O I was convinced they would give points! This makes me wonder about this other question:

1.1) Does the rest of extra culture points of the basic game apply in the advanced/full games? I mean, strength, happy faces, etc. Or none of them?

I have some more new:

4) Military units are also workers, correct?

5) How do you count "content worker"? You count the total number of happy faces and then substract the number of unhappy faces?

6)When you change government using all civil actions and paying the highest lowest amount of scince, you still produce that turn, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cruz
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cartesius_esp wrote:

1.1) Does the rest of extra culture points of the basic game apply in the advanced/full games? I mean, strength, happy faces, etc. Or none of them?

Perhaps. In advanced some events from age 3 will be revealed (like goals) and in the full game, the final scoring is age 3 events in the present and future events spaces that will be revealed at the end of the game
As stated in the response for the technologies, there could be events that gives you bonus for strength, etc.

cartesius_esp wrote:

I have some more new:

4) Military units are also workers, correct?

5) How do you count "content worker"? You count the total number of happy faces and then substract the number of unhappy faces?

6)When you change government using all civil actions and paying the highest amount of scince, you still produce that turn, correct?

4) Right. Can be disband (to worker poll) and used later as a mine if you wish. All yellow tokens allocated represent what you civilization's people are doing.

5) Content workers are counted by the line from last yellow token in you population bank through you happiness indicator (from right to left). If you happiness indicator is to the right of the line from your last yellow token in the bank, you have some discontent worker that need a distraction

6) Correct. But if you change your government by a revolution you still produce that turn. The only thing that will make you skip the production and maintenance phase is if you can't cover unhappy faces with workers from the worker pool (making them discontent) you will face an uprising.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Many thanks! About 6) I really meant "lowest" amount of scince, this is, Revolution as you well mentioned

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt DeHayes
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does the rest of extra culture points of the basic game apply in the advanced/full games? I mean, strength, happy faces, etc. Or none of them?

None of the one-time scoring methods in the simple game apply to the advanced game. Each game is different. At the beginning of the advanced game you randomly draw four of the Age III events from the civil deck. These are placed face-up before the game begins and explain to everyone which one-time bonuses will be applied at the end of that game. So, at the end of the game, you add any applicable bonuses from these cards to the appropriate players' current culture points. The leader is then the winner of the game.

Quote:
How do you count "content worker"? You count the total number of happy faces and then substract the number of unhappy faces?

You have to check for discontent workers whenever there's an empty space in your population bank directly above a happy face. You don't have a problem if your colored cube is to the left of or on this happy face. If your colored cube is to the right of this happy face, the yellow token directly above the happy face, when purchased from the population bank, must be placed on that happy face. This yellow token is considered to be a discontent worker.

(In some rare circumstances for the advanced game, your yellow bank may decrease. In such a case, you would then move any unused worker to any happy face that would normally have a discontent worker on it.)

Discontent workers still count as being in the unused worker pool so you can still turn them into farms, mines, urban buildings and military units but be careful! If during your maintenance phase you have a happy face which has an empty population spot above it and that happy face is to the left of your colored cube, you have an uprising on your hands. Your civilization does not produce food, resources, science or culture for as long as this continues.

So, to answer your question: A content worker is any yellow token on your mat that is not on a happy face or in the population bank.

Whew! This seems to be a difficult concept for me to express in words but should be easier to understand if you look at the board. I hope this explanation helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Napoleon's bonus does not apply. It increases your civ strength, not the strength of the army or the units themselves.

Okay, I see that on the back of the rulebook now. You wouldn't know that from the text on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you would. The card specifically says the tactics bonus is "added to your civilization's strength".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Yes, you would. The card specifically says the tactics bonus is "added to your civilization's strength".

Alas. Well, that's what I get for going on recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks again for your help, mates!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.