4 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Capture of a non-fortress port: what happens to naval units? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Muir
Germany
flag msg tools
If I win a siege against a fortress or key that's also a port, all naval units there are destroyed (placed on the turn track) -- p. 21 of the rule book.

What if I just walk into a non-fortress port -- the English walking into Brest, say? If England is at war w/France, and there's a French fleet in Brest, is it immediately destroyed?

(Also, what if I attack a key or fort and win a field battle? Can a fleet there retreat if the defending army retreats?)

thanks,

Doug M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Nothing happens when your unit enters Brest in your example. However if you place a control marker there, then this rule in 12.2 kicks in:

"If this space is a port that contains naval units, those naval units must immediately retreat to a sea zone adjacent to that port following the instructions found in Step 9 of the Naval Combat Procedure."

And fleets never retreat due to a field battle in their space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
And note that you can't "retreat" to a sea zone containing enemy units.

Presumably if there is no legal retreat, the units are destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
No need to presume:

Step 9 of the Naval Combat Procedure wrote:
[The squadron must retreat to] an adjacent sea zone that is free of enemy naval units. If no such location exists, the naval units are eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.