Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend play poker at his place often, so he also uses the fold-up poker table for gaming. I know some people have just taken a large piece of plywood and covered it with felt and matting and just lay that on their dining table, if you want a low cost solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a california house table. It's great for small to medium sized 4-5 player games, but it gets tight on bigger games. I would suggest a bigger table if you want to do more boardgaming. This works for the size room I had.

A couple of action shots:

Cramped playing D&D and traveller:

I'm working on building a bigger table exlusively for boardgaming and RPG's that I can store away when done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a homemade poker table that I use for gaming. It does not have a rail or cupholders, just a velveteen surface. It's racetrack oval shaped and 42" x 84" long. It works great for cards and games. Large games like TI3, RRT and Civ are no problem, and seats 10 for poker. I made it for around $75. Doesn't look as good as a commercially made table, but it certainly isn't an embarrassment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thelonious77 wrote:
MW,

What size California House is that? 48? 54?

Would you go with a larger octagon? Or a rectangular table?

Thanks!

I "think" it's 48". If you have the funds and room, I would definitely go with the larger octagon that fits 8...or the rectangle. I guess it just depends on your space and what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traveller?! Marry me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Thelonious77 wrote:
MW,

What size California House is that? 48? 54?

Would you go with a larger octagon? Or a rectangular table?

Thanks!

I "think" it's 48". If you have the funds and room, I would definitely go with the larger octagon that fits 8...or the rectangle. I guess it just depends on your space and what you want.

I have a 52" poker table, and I think it is too big. For most games, I feel like I have to stand up to reach for items on the board. I would think that the 48" is the perfect size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I built my own table with my dad:

It's 4 feet by 6 feet. The middle piece is 3 feet by 5 feet (though less tablespace since the corners are cute). The padded rails are awesome. If I were to make another table, I would forgo the wooden track though. It wastes a lot of space. For games where each player has their own player board, it sucks to have to keep it all eight or so inches away from the edge of the table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
We use a poker table like the one Chapel pictured above. It works well most of the time. also most poker tables have a top that flips over and is flat. You lose the drink holders but game a little extra space.

I would also suggest getting some larger folding tables. The plastic ones the sell at Home Depot are pretty good, and cheap. You can put 2 together to form a very large table. You can keep them in a closet until you need them, but they work great for 2 player wargames or anything that has a map that will not fit on the poker table.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd advise at the least checking out Geek Chic tables. They are hands down the best looking and designed game tables I have ever seen.

They may be WAY out of your price range, but maybe not, if you are thinking of getting a custom-made table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best advice: build your own. There are tons of websites with plans and specs. My favorite is currently down (www.scottkeen.com/forum/), but there are many others. Even a piece of plywood with a layer of foam, an appropriate cloth surface, no rail, and a couple of sturdy folding legs will be an upgrade over a dining room table, plus you can make it any size/shape you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sikes
United States
Easley
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was interested in bumper pool.I would get either a rectangular table or a hexagonal one which would be much better space wise in my house.

Is one better than the other for bumper pool? Also are the rectangular ones better made? Thanks--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.