Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb

Does anyone else find a hero death to be slightly unclimatic? Playing as the overlord my hero players never seem to be very upset when their hero is killed, since there is really nothing at stake other than for me gaining conquest tokens-

It will be hard to change their mind for a house rule now, but does anyone else feel like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Never played Paranoia ?

Hero death isn't death ; it's no more than, say, the loss of one of your tanks in a tactical wargame. A blow to your final objective but you may score blows too. Like a city's fall or a lieutenant coming back home with a precious parchment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's fine the way it is.

I don't understand the "it's only conquest points". They add up. The experience points fuel the Overlord's upgrades. It makes the campaign levels go faster so the heroes have less time to earn gold and upgrade.

Just ask my heroes. Near the end of the copper level their plan was to hit the secret training and then the copper legendary dungeon. They had plenty of time, or so they thought. Then an untimely and unlucky TPK during an encounter pushed them back to Tamalir and pushed the campaign almost to silver. Now they didn't have time or money to do the secret training for the copper level.

It's only conquest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as KO rather than death if it helps. Their deaths will come when you, as overlord, prevail over the petty heroes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I introduce new players to Descent, I describe it as a board game version of Diablo the video gmae (when is /that/ game coming out FFG?). There's a "town" that we all start in, we're going through dungeons, killing random "spawns" of monsters, finding random treasures. We can go back to town to sell items through "town portals" that are called Glyphs. If you die, you reappear in town, just like in Diablo.

Once I describe that to players, it clicks and they get the mechanics of the game.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't suggest house ruling this one. Hero death as a minor, temporary setback is integral to the balance (such as it is). Changing that would throw the whole game out of whack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
hmmm, i wasn't thinking of anything big, but maybe that the hero looses a turn or something that makes it feel like that it wasn't exactly good that he/she just got knocked out-
Now it's like they get a free turn to go back to town to stock up-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
If you do anything, you should probably base it on the tier. Making death even worse at copper means its even less likely the heros can survive a Tamalir attack in early silver. Doing it at Gold might not be so bad.

That's not saying I think it should be done. I completely and utterly don't. But if you do decide to break the already fragile balance, at least make it happen later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sugadaddy wrote:
hmmm, i wasn't thinking of anything big, but maybe that the hero looses a turn or something that makes it feel like that it wasn't exactly good that he/she just got knocked out-
Now it's like they get a free turn to go back to town to stock up-

Problem is the balance of the entire game is built around that death being easy to recover from. The OL already took you out of the main fight, which you now have to hustle back to. Also he earned CP, which are not a minor thing to give him often. Any more punishment to the heroes for dying and the OL could possibly become too hard to stop.

Not to mention in a game as long as this one already is, you really want to be the player that has to sit there for a round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
Problem is the balance of the entire game is built around that death being easy to recover from. The OL already took you out of the main fight, which you now have to hustle back to. Also he earned CP, which are not a minor thing to give him often. Any more punishment to the heroes for dying and the OL could possibly become too hard to stop.

You could balance it out - each time the heroes kill a monster, all the other monsters skip one turn whilst they recover from the shock of their lost comrade, then the Overlord sacrifices all of his threat from sheer sorrow. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
And if that "non-permanent death" effect still looks strange, consider Wile E. Coyote, whose record number of deaths in one scenario, er, cartoon, is about 10.
BTW there are other similarities : each time he revives he comes back with new equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.