Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C. B. Green
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Basically on a whim, I registered for Orccon this weekend. I'd never been to a con or played in a tourney before. So starting slow, I registered for one event, the Lost Cities bracket.

And I made it to the finals! My very first hand, I racked up a 80+ point total thanks to a nice run in the red/volcano expedition, then played conservatively to get past my first round opponent. 2nd round was a come-from-behind, as I had a solid final hand to edge past my opponent (who I admit was distracted, since he was supposed to be showing up for the El Grande event happening right then). Third round was the same story, as my opponent played strongly until the final hand, when she had an overall negative that pushed me into the finals, and I had a good run on white/Himlayas. My score for the three hands in the semifinals was 180+, which I was pleased with.

But a sweet lady from Idaho kicked my butt in the finals. We were 10 points apart after the first hand. Second hand, I was dealt two white investments and the white 10. I got the third white investment on the 4th or 5th draw, and played all three to try to put the tourney away. It didn't happen. I saw one white card the whole rest of the game, the 3. So the -28 on what was to be my triumphal expedition ultimately torpedoed me.

It was a risk, but I'm proud to have taken it, and if I had to do it over, I'd have made the same play. My opponent was good, and opportunities for decisive three-investment runs don't come along every day.

So hey, second place my first time out, and a nice-looking red ribbon. I'll take it. Plus I got to try out Tobago, took a picture of my son (8 year-old Pandemic fan) with Matt Leacock, and learned how to play Arkham Horror with a few other newbies. It was a great first con experience, and making the finals in Lost Cities was absolutely the icing on the cake. You bet I'll be back. Look out, Idaho lady. I'll get ya next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats. You probably don't want to plop down those 3 handshakes until a few more whites fall your way. Live-and-learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.