J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BGG has tons and tons of features. Every time I visit the site I notice some new little widget or tool that I hadn't noticed before.

I'm curious to hear what your favorite tool or feature is, especially the ones you'd "discovered" after being a member for awhile and wished you'd been using from the start. For example I recently noticed the "record a play" feature and I'm glad I noticed that now rather than months from now when I'd say "What a cool feature! I wish I'd seen that before so I could have been taking notes all along!"

So what of it? What's your favorite but possibly over looked feature?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What BBG feature do you wish you would have discovered/been using from the start?

The DONATION feature!

EDIT: link added
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What BBG feature do you wish you would have discovered/been using from the start?
The version feature for games owned. No idea if it's new or not, but I lurves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The QuickBar!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Games played stats by all BGGers
and
User comments about a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
The QuickBar!!!

Interesting, because of you pointing it out I just noticed it at the top right. How do you use it? Do you make pages for various tasks and then "bookmark" collections under each number?

tesuji wrote:
and

What do you mean by "games played stats"? Is there a master list that compiles that information somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite feature is the users who will reliably inform you that it's BGG not BBG. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfitzpatrick wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
The QuickBar!!!

Interesting, because of you pointing it out I just noticed it at the top right. How do you use it?

Simply click on a plus sign and enter a title in the subject box that opens. It will store a link to the page currently in front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
jfitzpatrick wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
The QuickBar!!!

Interesting, because of you pointing it out I just noticed it at the top right. How do you use it?

Simply click on a plus sign and enter a title in the subject box that opens. It will store a link to the page currently in front.

I didn't make that clear... it's pretty straight forward as far as an interface goes, I was more curious how other people are actually using it... i.e. do people make bookmark page for favorite games, items that are hidden deep in menus an a pain to get to, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tags. Invaluable to categorize my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to sort images by decolletage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously... the ability to view other BGG user's past contributions.

There are a bunch of smart people contributing to this website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
The ability to sort images by decolletage.

I thought that was already taken care of by the thumb/boner processing BGG has outsourced to its pool of nerdlings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Seriously... the ability to view other BGG user's past contributions.

There are a bunch of smart people contributing to this website.

Are you talking beyond clicking on their user id, then the contributions tab or gallery tabs, and then rooting around in there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing beyond viewing previous contributions.

A lot of good content is quickly pushed off the front page of BGG by new contributions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfitzpatrick wrote:
I was more curious how other people are actually using it

I have a selection of links to games, I want to visit frequently, links to threads I want to return to. Helpful guides that tells me how to do certain things, I always forget. And as a collection of links to other sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Trevelyan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I found the QuickBar JUST before reading this post! I'm so glad I don't have to go through multiple pages to get to the NZ forum anymore!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
and

Definitely agree about the comments. I find that browsing the comments can be far more helpful than reading the reviews. Sometimes you'll find mini-reviews in the comments and a lot of review threads are loaded with fanboys raving about things that most people reading the review wouldn't care about, like small rule errors in the review.

Comments are relatively hidden compared to reviews, so I think a lot of users don't find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
subscriptions.

Once in a while I check my subscriptions on these pages. Currently 6 unread subscriptions. And 20+ posts I've yet to read

Geekbuddy is a neat feature. It helped me pick my first games.

I geekbuddied some of the monster players and looked at the games they liked. Paired with geekbuddy analysis and user comments I found some great games.

Oh and welcome to the site. surprised a new user talks about good ol' bgg instead of geekdo btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the start would be the find users esp by zip code. I would have been gaming probably 6 months before I finally stumbled upon the local gaming club.

Lately would be subscribing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
jfitzpatrick wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
The QuickBar!!!

Interesting, because of you pointing it out I just noticed it at the top right. How do you use it? Do you make pages for various tasks and then "bookmark" collections under each number?

tesuji wrote:
and

What do you mean by "games played stats"? Is there a master list that compiles that information somewhere?

Misc > Stats > Games Played by Game

Or direct link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame?sortby=distinctuse...

Be sure to sort by "unique users" (click the column heading link)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

I geekbuddied some of the monster players and looked at the games they liked. Paired with geekbuddy analysis and user comments I found some great games.

Yes, this is most helpful. When I am looking for games to buy or to trade for, I check to see what my GeekBuddies think of them. Go to the game's page and scroll down just past "Geek Lists" to the "Statistics" area and click on "Geek Buddy Analysis." It is much faster than going through the "Personal Comments" section (although that can also be quite helpful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP and Werewolf.

I came for the boardgames, but stayed for the best little online communities on the web.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
subscriptions.

Once in a while I check my subscriptions on these pages. Currently 6 unread subscriptions. And 20+ posts I've yet to read

Oh and welcome to the site. surprised a new user talks about good ol' bgg instead of geekdo btw.

Explain the magic of the GeekBuddy feature to me? I haven't buddied anybody so apparently it doesn't work for me. Does it compare your likes against their likes?

I have no idea what you were talking about with "geekdo" until I googled it! Apparently I found this site through the old school BGG portal. So even though I'm new it'll always be BGG to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekBuddy Analysis is a great way to view comments about a certain game. On a game's page scroll down to the statistics box and in there will be GeekBuddy Analysis. It brings up the personal comments of that game from everyone you've Geekbuddied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.