Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card #77 (Ask Not What...) played by the end of turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Say, USSR plays card #77 (Ask Not What...: US Player may discard up to entire hand (including Scoring cards) and draw replacements from the deck. The number of cards discarded must be decided prior to drawing any replacements.) by the end of the turn. There is one phase more to go i.e. three cards will be played - two by US and one by USRR. US player discards three of his remaining cards, drawing three new cards from the deck. What if all of them are scoring cards? Will he - or she - be forced to play them all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The US player would lose the game in this instance. If you draw all scoring cards and do not have enough phases left to play them, you lose.

This is one of the risks of using "Ask Not" late in the turn. A small risk, but potentially disastrous as your example illustrates.

EDIT:

From the collected rulings:

Quote:
"Ask Not" can lead to the US player holding a Scoring card (if only Scoring cards are drawn). This is allowed (an exception to 10.1.5) and results in a US loss at the end of the turn, as usual for holding scoring cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The US player will lose the game since he has 3 scoring cards on his hand and only 2 more rounds to play cards.

That situation almost happened to me. I draw 2 scoring cards. I kept 1 card in my hand that saved me to lose the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Tricky.

So many things to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.