Puerto Rico» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question regarding captain and sale of goods on ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Milton
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
We bought the game about two years ago but just started playing about 2 weeks ago. I know that is pathetic. Our group is still stuck on Settlers, Carcassone and Empire Builder. PR is a hard game to learn at first but easy to play once you learn it. It took almost 4 hours the first time(4 of us trying to learn at the same time) and now only takes about an hour to play. Have played about 10 times in those two weeks.

A big argument occured in last nights game about the captain. When reading the rules we still aren't sure what is right. Here is the scenario. Two ships are empty and a 5 good ship has 2 sugar on it. I take the captain and have 6 sugar goods . I want to place my sugar on the ships. I know I need to fill the ship with sugar on it already but it won't all fit. Am I allowed to place the 3 sugar on the 5 good ship to fill the ship and then place the other 3 on a different empty ship or is my turn over after placing the three sugars on the one ship since I have filled it and you can only place one good at a time. Then everyone else gets their turn to place goods on the ships and then it is my turn again. We need help because the rules aren't completely clear. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, goods may not be loaded on a ship if they are on another ship. Plus, you must choose the ship where you can load the most goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeri Honberger
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You can place three sugar on the boat with sugar, or place another good on the empty boat. There cannot be 2 boats with the same good (except a personal wharf).

2) Then the person to your left places one kind of good, and so around the table.

3) When it gets back to you, you can place a good only if there is a room on a ship with a good you have or an empty one remains. (If you have a wharf, you can ship the rest of your sugar or any other single kind of good you'd like.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies to jearles. I had a rule incorrect. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Milton
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I understand that you must choose the larger ship. That isn't the case here. From the prior time captain was played, it left two empty ships and one ship(5 good ship) with 2 sugar on it. Now after the governor has been passed, the captian is played again. I only have 6 sugar. I can't put them on the empty ships because the 5 cargo ship has two sugar already. I must place the three on that ship. Can I continue and start a new ship of sugar with the remaining three or do I have to wait till everyone else goes before placing the sugar on another ship if one is still empty. Or is it never possible to have two ships with the same good on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokasaphasia wrote:
jearles wrote:
Plus, you must choose the ship where you can load the most goods.

This is not correct at all.

Quote:
When a player loads goods of a kind, he must load as many of that kind as he can. A player cannot hold back goods when there is space on a ship carrying the kind of goods he has. If a player has a kind of goods that can be loaded on several empty ships, he must choose the ship where he can load the most goods, leaving none behind, if possible.

You get to choose the order in which you load, but when you do choose a good you must load as many as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only put your three sugars on the ship that already has it loaded. You can't place your other sugars at all during that captain's phase (assuming you don't have buildings that give you extra privileges) because you cannot have two ships with the same type of goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Neumann
United States
Auburn
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Jeri wrote above:

1) ... There cannot be 2 boats with the same good (except a personal wharf).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin jung
United States
Palatine
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is never possiable to have 2 ships with the same goods on it. If you buy a warf and have it activated then you can ship the remaining sugar when the captian comes around to you again. without the warf you must wait until the next captian phase. The full ship does not sail until the end of the captian pahse so it stops you from using any of the empty ships to ship sugar until the next captian phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roofcake wrote:
Or is it never possible to have two ships with the same good on it.

It is not possible, unless you have wharf. Wharf allows you to load goods that are already on another ship on your "imaginary" ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeri Honberger
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:

Only if you are shipping on an empty ship, and there is more than one available; you must chose one that lets you ship the most goods. For example, you can't pick a smaller empty ship to hold a good back for trading later.

But you can choose to ship to a partially loaded ship to block another player from shipping. If that results in me having a good to trade later, it's OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I was in error. I've been playing wrong for a very long time apparently!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrammaGamer wrote:
jearles wrote:

Only if you are shipping on an empty ship, and there is more than one available; you must chose one that lets you ship the most goods. For example, you can't pick a smaller empty ship to hold a good back for trading later.

But you can choose to ship to a partially loaded ship to block another player from shipping. If that results in me having a good to trade later, it's OK.

Agreed... I apologize for quoting a partial rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GrammaGamer wrote:
jearles wrote:

Whoa. You have free choice among all goods types you possess that can legally be shipped. Once you have chosen the good you will be shipping, you must choose a ship which allows you to ship the most of that good possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Milton
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thank you. It is very clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Whoa. You have free choice among all goods types you possess that can legally be shipped. Once you have chosen the good you will be shipping, you must choose a ship which allows you to ship the most of that good possible.

Yes... I stated that above.

jearles wrote:
brokasaphasia wrote:
jearles wrote:

This is not correct at all.

Quote:
When a player loads goods of a kind, he must load as many of that kind as he can. A player cannot hold back goods when there is space on a ship carrying the kind of goods he has. If a player has a kind of goods that can be loaded on several empty ships, he must choose the ship where he can load the most goods, leaving none behind, if possible.

You get to choose the order in which you load, but when you do choose a good you must load as many as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
jearles wrote:
roofcake wrote:
Or is it never possible to have two ships with the same good on it.

It is not possible, unless you have wharf. Wharf allows you to load goods that are already on another ship on your "imaginary" ship.

Just to be clear...
And if you had a wharf in the given scenario, you could ship all 6 sugar on the wharf and put none on the existing 5-ship with 2 sugar already on it.

During the captain phase you ship goods using the following rules:

If this is not the first round, and you had to pass last round, you must pass again this round.
If there are no goods left on your player board, you must pass.
if there are goods on your player board, choose one type of good,
-- if you have a wharf and have not used it yet this phase, you may ship all of that good on your wharf.
-- if a ship containing that good exists and it has open spots for goods, you may ship as much of the good as fits on that ship up to the amount of that good you have.
-- if no ship containing that good exists and there are one or more empty ships you must choose one of the empty ships to ship the good. You must use the ship that will not result in left over goods if possible. For example, if the 5, 6, and 7 hold ships are empty and you have 6 of a good you cannot choose the 5 ship for that good. You must choose between the 6 or 7 ship. Given the same 3 ships, if you have 8 of a good, you must pick the 7 ship.
-- if you have not shipped at this point and still have goods of another type try again using one of the other untried goods types. If none of your goods types fulfills any of the above conditions, you must pass.

Of course, you don't need to think about it that rigidly. And this says nothing about why your pick corn before or after sugar. If just says what happens once you've decided what you want to ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.