Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb

Just a quick note to recognize Gary's work on upcoming game Haggis.

Haggis is a 2-3 player climbing card game (think Tichu, not mountains) that designer Sean Ross has been working on perfecting for a number of years. Last year I approached Sean to publish the game for Indie Boards and Cards on the recommendation of one of his playtesters. Haggis had everything that a publisher could want in a game submission - clear concise rules and well developed game mechanics that had been rigorously subjected to external playtesting.

Shortly after Sean agreed, he recommendeded that we work with Gary based on his postings in this forum. I happy to say that working with Gary has been a pleasure, and the results of his hard work are extremely professional. Here is just a quick sample, see the game page for more:

Haggis will be the third game released by Indie Boards and Cards (Triumvirate being the first, and Filipino Fruit Market the second). The limited edition first printing will be available for sale on the Indie Boards and Cards web site in March. You can subscribe to the Indie Boards and Cards newsletter now if you'd like to be among the first to be able to get this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
The artwork is beautiful in this game. I may be slightly prejudiced being of very Scottish ancestry (Clan Cameron), but still it is incredible. A big thank you for the eye candy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great looking set of cards. Also, congratulations on your third game! Indie Boards and Cards is definitely expanding nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
The artwork is beautiful in this game. I may be slightly prejudiced being of very Scottish ancestry (Clan Cameron), but still it is incredible. A big thank you for the eye candy.

Thanks for the compliments. Despite my surname, my ancestry is predominately scots/irish, and Sean's scottish ancestry is clearly evident int he ross clan tartan used on the box front. Safe to say we both share your sentiments on the choice of theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way 'clan tartans', in the sense of Highland clans having particular tartans associated with them, are pretty much a myth (see for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestiarium_Scoticum)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure but the game name remembers me a trip in Scontland made some years ago (great) and a very particular breakfast...am I wrong?

BTW: Is this game going to be available in some european reseller/store?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elianto wrote:
I'm not sure but the game name remembers me a trip in Scontland made some years ago (great) and a very particular breakfast...am I wrong?

Haggis is a meat product (by-product?) of a very culturally Scottish origin, best seen joked about in a scene from "So I Married an Axe Murderer," starring Mike Myers.

Also, congrats to Indie I'd love to try this one out sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
Elianto wrote:

Haggis is a meat product (by-product?) of a very culturally Scottish origin,

I've seen haggis as part of a cooked breakfast on many an occasion so Elianto may have encountered it at breakfast. It is usually part of the evening meal - traditionally served with tatties and neeps.

BTW the colour looks way out on that picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elianto wrote:

Is this game going to be available in some european reseller/store?

The limited edition printing will be available direct from the publisher to everywhere in the world.

Final prices haven't been set but I am targeting $12.95 plus $3 Shipping US, $4 to Canada and $6 to the rest of the world.

With a current exchange rate of about .73 Euro to the dollar that works out to about 14 Euros from door to door which I think is quite reasonable.

If the response to the game is as good as I suspect, I will do a much larger print run and get distribution through out Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Arbuckle
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work, Gary! Spare, legible, and interesting. I love it. I'm looking forward to giving it a try with my Tichu-loving family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
By the way 'clan tartans', in the sense of Highland clans having particular tartans associated with them, are pretty much a myth (see for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestiarium_Scoticum)

Looking through the literature it would probably be more accurate to say "traditional tartans were regional based, it wasn't until the mid 19th century that the strong association of an individual tartan to a clan was firmly established. Ironically one of the seminal works (Vesarium Scotium) documenting clan tartans was widely known to be a hoax, yet many of the tartan/clan associations documented in that book have since become officially adopted."

So not a myth, but rather an adoption of a tradition much later then we might have thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
metzgerism wrote:
Also, congrats to Indie I'd love to try this one out sometime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuixJaAia84
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just like to briefly echo Travis' thanks for Gary's efforts here. A more detailed expression of my gratitude, to both Gary and Travis, can be found in a new entry at the end my (admittedly, rather lengthy) designer's notes geeklist. Cheers! (or, SlĂ inte Mhath, if you're Gaelic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnston
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was almost disappointed that the card art didn't have a greater connection to haggis (either the dish or the mythical creature)... but it does look great. ;-)

Haggis is an old school dish, probably from many cultures but in recent history popularized by the Scots (especially as a result of Burn's Nights, traditional dinners in celebration of the 18th century poet Robert Burns). In general it's offal steamed in a stomach lining. Classic Scottish recipes use mutton (lung, heart) cut with oatmeal, suet, and spices, steamed in the stomach lining of the sheep. Since moving to America I've found the US recipes use more beef. As an acronym haggis is popularly defined as "heart, arteries, gizzards, guts, intestines, spleen."

Mmmmmmm, my mouth is watering while writing this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to seeing the finished product. I've enjoyed seeing Gary's art since he first showed up on BGDF a few years back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cusack
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've worked with Gary, he is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great! I'll have to buy a set.

Also, for those who want to try haggis the food, Amazon has a set of three cans (from the Caledonian Kitchen), Amazon Prime eligible, for about $20.

Here. It's the sirloin variety, looks like the lamb is unavailable at the moment.

Now I just need to find some scrapple locally...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Look for my upcoming work on:

Queen's Ransom by Zman Games

The Ares Project by Zman Games

Prolix by Zman Games

Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.