Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Rules

Subject: Overlord Deck Cycling Limit and Fatigue during Temple visits. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M B
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Ok, I think I've scoured every available resource and cannot find answers to the following questions. Maybe I've over looked something - any information would be helpful.

1) When healing in a Temple during a dungeon encounter, do heros get their fatigue back? The rules appear to be silent on this so we have been playing that they don't - but it just doesn't seem right.

2) When the Overlord cycles through his deck twice during the same dungeon level the heros are immediately kicked out of the dungeon and sent back to Tamilir. Does this include the special area dungeons? Those levels seem huge for such a restriction. We played that it does apply and the heros were kicked out after just spawning dragon number two for the copper special (much to the chagrin of the overlord because they grabbed the money/gems then got kicked out of the dungeon before having to fight the dragon). Again, we played that way but it just didn't seem right - especially when the OL plays the card allowing him to draw 3 cards per turn. Same question for rumor levels.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No, they do not. Temple healing during a Restock *only* restores health equal to the temple's rating. If there's no mention of restoring Fatigue, than it doesn't restore Fatigue.

2) Hard to say. Technically, there's no exceptions to the 2x a level FAQ "ruling". However, if you look at the reasons WHY the ruling is there, it's to keep twink heroes from abusing the system and allowing the OL to rack up conquest and end the game early not allowing him to properly buy upgrades. If your heroes are moving along and not just hanging out in town, but playing the game the way it was /meant/ to be played, then I wouldn't worry about enforcing it during some of the larger levels.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, thinking about the 2x-level rule, I really wish it would have been written that the OL could decide to eject the heroes or not...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with both answers above. I have not enforced the auto-eject for cycling on longer special levels. It doesn't seem right as long as the heroes are working within the spirit of the game and trying to complete the level.

Remember, it's a game. Have fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback. I will definately bring this up during our next session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that this rule also exists to protect some heroes from their own dumbness: for those who are bone-headed to the point that they have crossed the word "fleeing" from their vocabulary, it is a vital rule to allow them to nevertheless enjoy the campaign.

Sometimes certain levels are too tough for copper heroes, and if they don't flee or aren't ejected, the OL could rack up so much Conquest that the campaign would go straight from copper to gold! Then everyone in the campaign would think how strange the game is and that it isn't balanced at all, when in fact the heroes just played badly.

And indeed:

Primitiveman wrote:
We played that it does apply and the heros were kicked out after just spawning dragon number two for the copper special (much to the chagrin of the overlord because they grabbed the money/gems then got kicked out of the dungeon before having to fight the dragon).

In this case it protected the heroes!

When the OL cycles twice in a level (even only once in case the deck is almost depleted at the beginning of the level), the heroes usually did something wrong: either the level was too hard and they should have fled before, or they progressed way too cautiously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to hijack the thread, but question 1) brings up another issue. Isn't it strange that getting healed at the temple doesn't remove any other tokens (poison, fire, etc)? We had one level where a hero had a couple fire tokens on him, went to the temple, got healed, went to the market, did some shopping, came back to the dungeon and he was still on fire -- he kept missing those roles to extinguish himself. It got me picturing this bizarre scenario of him walking around the shop, engulfed in flames and casually browsing the clearance aisle. When he finally made a purchase I could see the merchant asking him, "So, you want a bucket of water or something with that?" "Nah, I'm all right," came the quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but question 1) brings up another issue. Isn't it strange that getting healed at the temple doesn't remove any other tokens (poison, fire, etc)? We had one level where a hero had a couple fire tokens on him, went to the temple, got healed, went to the market, did some shopping, came back to the dungeon and he was still on fire -- he kept missing those roles to extinguish himself. It got me picturing this bizarre scenario of him walking around the shop, engulfed in flames and casually browsing the clearance aisle. When he finally made a purchase I could see the merchant asking him, "So, you want a bucket of water or something with that?" "Nah, I'm all right," came the quick reply.

What's also weird is that a hero can be webbed adjacent to a glyph, use the glyph to return to town the next turn (no MP required, so it's legal), and get healed up at the temple (again, no MP). However, if he doesn't get the rolls to lose the web token, he'll be unable to return to the dungeon because THAT does cost an MP. How does that work? Is his cocooned body getting wheelbarrowed around by the town guard while he runs his errands?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Yeah, again - these aspects of the game just don't feel right - even given the fantasy setting and required fantasy logic. I was thinking I saw something somewhere about heros getting fatigue back and certain status effects removed upon leaving dungeons and encounters, but as far as I can find now it seems that fatigue is only restored after the completion of an encounter or dungeon. I couldn't find anything about other effects being removed even after encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's in the FAQ. Give me a second to dig it up... Ah, here it is:

Quote:

Q: What happens to lingering effects (Bleed, Burn, Curse, Poison, etc.) when an encounter ends?

A: At the end of an encounter or dungeon (but not a dungeon level) all lingering effect tokens are removed from all heroes with the following exceptions: Poison and Curse tokens stay. (Note, however, that Red Scorpion’s healing power means that she will heal all her Poison tokens and then continue to heal until she is at her maximum wounds.)

pg 12 of the latest FAQ

So, between encounters/dungeons, effect markers go away. But what is odd is if you go to town while on fire, you run around at the market "Ahh Ahhh! I'm on fire!!!" and everyone just ignores you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primitiveman wrote:
Yeah, again - these aspects of the game just don't feel right - even given the fantasy setting and required fantasy logic.

A line from a song comes to mind-

If you're wondering how Joel eats and breathes
and other science facts
repeat to yourself "It's just a show
I should really just relax"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:
We had one level where a hero had a couple fire tokens on him, went to the temple, got healed, went to the market, did some shopping, came back to the dungeon and he was still on fire

Come on, those little bits really make the game fun. Sure it's strange, but we have a great time when those weird random events happen. Wait until you have someone with frost and burn tokens at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:

Just as a reminder, "poison" tokens must be removed when you are healed before any health restoration actually takes place, that includes even in a temple. So that token is removed.

As for the others, lol yeah it's pretty wierd that your flaming hero is running around town burning to death while shopping wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
About webs : I don't see the problem. A glyph is a teleportation device. Star Trek heroes can be beamed while tightly tied. When they exit, they'll need a bit of time to brush off those webs.

About fire : perhaps it's restrictive to think burning damage as actual fire ; perhaps they're just deep burns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.