BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: good 2-3 players, easy to learn, complex to master rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
i'm looking for games that are 2-3 players (if its more its ok, but has to be good 2-3)
Must be easy to teach, but can be quite complex, if the complexity is not in the rules
No Language Dependency.
Bonus if a person with bad sight can play it without too much effort.

One that crosses my mind is Ingenious, but maybe there are better matches.
Thankx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tongiakiis simple and fun. I don't think it's that deep, but the randomness gives it high replay value. Use the two-player variant (look under the Rules forum under the game itself). Virtually no printed text in-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Samurai

König von Siam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks! (with 3)
Taluva
Qwirkle Cubes
Oshi (for 2)
Unnamed Object (3+, but we've played it with 2)
Coloretto
Can't Stop
Blokus
Aquädukt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Condotierre (mixed card and boardgame) - 2-6
2. The Pillars of the Earth - 2-4

Light wargame
Memoir'44 (mixed card and boardgame) - 2-8, [light language dependency]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightbomber wrote:
2. The Pillars of the Earth - 2-4

Language dependency in reading all of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Stone Age are great for 2-3 players, easy to learn, and have no language dependency. They are considered very complex to master but they had some depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
TwentySides wrote:
Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Stone Age are great for 2-3 players, easy to learn, and have no language dependency. They are considered very complex to master but they had some depth.

I own Ticket to Ride Europe and Carcassonne, they indeed work well, but i was trying to push my family a step foward on the ladder of gaming and get a bit more complex.

I havent tried Hansa Teutonica, i still have to read the rules, who knows maybe i already have a good solution..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw in Lost Cities: The Board Game and Small World. Both are games my whole family enjoy. (And easy to get the non gamers in too!)

Maybe even Pandemic, really simple to play, nail biting stuff as your team desperately attempts to save the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would heartily recommend adding The End of the Triumvirate to your list. It can be played with two or three, but is IDEAL with three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to take a look at Traders of Osaka which has all the qualities you are seeking.

*Easy to learn
*Challenging to play well
*Plays best with 2 and with 3 works well
*Components are almost all color-coded with very minimal language
*Can be played in 30 minutes or so
*Plays big for such a small game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tdbs wrote:
TwentySides wrote:

I own Ticket to Ride Europe and Carcassonne, they indeed work well, but i was trying to push my family a step foward on the ladder of gaming and get a bit more complex.

I havent tried Hansa Teutonica, i still have to read the rules, who knows maybe i already have a good solution..

Hansa Teutonica is EXCELLENT with 3!!!! Very simple and easy to learn, but a satisfying complex and evolving game each time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tdbs wrote:
TwentySides wrote:

Stone Age is a step up from Carcassonne. Give it a try and see if it's worth buying.

Then if you want a further step up from Stone Age, Le Havre is a series of simple steps and simple decisions, but the growing number of options builds a lot of depth and complexity as you play. Most of the cards show only symbols and numbers, but some have a bit of writing that one person may need to translate for the group. It is best with 2-3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff slaga
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor and Tobago and Ad Astra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Pente Yay! I figured out the link system!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South of You
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: good 2-3 players, easy to learn, complex to masterH
Stone Age if you have two or more.

Hive if you only have two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Smith
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with towncrier that König von Siam is the description of what you are looking for. In fact, I thought of it when I read the thread title. In King of Siam, each player is manipulating the cubes (cubes represent different factions) on the board in order to have the most cubes in their supply of the faction that has dominated the most regions. The catch is that during the course of the game, each player can only take eight actions represented by eight cards. It's fairly simple to understand what these cards do, but figuring out how to play them to your advantage is not easy.

I also agree with Mrs. Mystery Bob that Hansa Teutonica would fit your criteria. It is complex and rich, but the mechanics are fairly simple to understand.

Edit: to add a letter I was missing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revengeisnotjustice wrote:
... König von Siam is the description of what you are looking for.

Best 2, 3 and 4 player game that I own, as far as being near perfectly scalable. It's quite simple, just beware of the potential tie-breaking conditions as they change depending on the eventual winning condition and the number of players.

I'd also recommend Tigris & Euphrates. It may look or even sound complex, but it really extremely simple; just remember that you're not a colour but instead you are a symbol... keep on drilling that into your brain and you'll do fine. And although this game says '3-4 players' it plays remarkably well with 2-players.

I'd also concure with the recommendation for The End of the Triumvirate. Simple rules, but near infinite gameplay. However, it really shines best with 3 players not 2.

If you're looking for a really simple 2-4 player game where 3 is the optimal number I'd further recommend The Bottle Imp. It's a trick-taking card game but probably the best I've seen of its ilk. There are so many different and layered strategies in this game that my gaming group still uses this as a 3-4 player warm-up (300 pts. - about 10 hands - 45 minutes) before the main course of a 5-6 player games night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maksimov wrote:
towncrier wrote:

thumbsup

AGREE!
Taluva also!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.