Michael M.
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regretfully, I haven't played 'Scape in a few years and my collection is collecting dust. I checked out Ebay and some of the earlier expansion sets - particularly Wave 2 and Wave 3 - are selling at a nice premium. The Lava and Tundra sets are also fetching nice prices.

My question is this: What are your thoughts on the future collectability of Heroscape? With MS3 hitting shelves, do you think that now is the optimal time to sell? Or is the new D&D facelift just the beginning of a new legacy, in which the early HS expansions won't be reprinted and sell for a mint a few years down the road?

All insight/conjecture is welcome and appreciated.

(For the record, I have a horrible track record in this arena, thinking that selling my MtG Unlimited Time Walk and Timetwister back in the day for $60 a pop was a great idea.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Best time to sell was about a year ago. With the current re-releases of the early waves and the release of the "exclusives" except for the Lava set,flag bearers etc the prices have dropped dramatically. I had been contemplating selling my stuff at one point due to a need for some $$ but when I looked at the prices most had plummeted.
HS is a good enough game I decided to keep it than sell it for peanuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm - if you are going to sell - I would do it now for some of it.

there are hints that the ice set is coming back again. VW always seems to fetch a good price.

I'd go with some Wave 2 / 3 too - it's been a while since they were printed with no rumours of a re-print yet.

MS3 has 'probably' kindled some interest in classic scape !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that Heroscape is not intended to be a collectible game in any way. While particular pieces may be unavailable for a time, there is no intention for anything to deliberately go out of print permanently (unless the game, itself, ever gets discontinued).

You'll note, for example, that Wave 10 includes reprints of some previously "exclusive" figures (The Onyx Vipers) and some former convention promos (Nerak, Sir Hawthorne).

Given this precedent, I wouldn't be surprise if the flag bearers even reappear someday.

It seems likely that the release of previous waves will not be at the same rapid clip as they appeared the first time around, but I wouldn't expect them to become predictably more valuable as time goers by, because nearly everything will show up again. Perhaps the biggest exception to that is the Marvel Heroscape, which doesn't appear to have been a market success. On the other hand, the fact it wasn't a success probably would depress any collectible value down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Volcarren Wasteland is the biggest question. Because it was a Toys R Us exclusive, and TRU discontinued selling HS in all their stores, nobody knows if VW will ever reappear but most agree it's unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
Volcarren Wasteland is the biggest question. Because it was a Toys R Us exclusive, and TRU discontinued selling HS in all their stores, nobody knows if VW will ever reappear but most agree it's unlikely.

Although the squad that was in that set has already reappeared as a repaint (rock creatures instead of lava creatures) in Wave 10, so I'm not sure that elements of the set might not appear again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
tmredden wrote:

Although the squad that was in that set has already reappeared as a repaint (rock creatures instead of lava creatures) in Wave 10, so I'm not sure that elements of the set might not appear again.

I hadn't thought of that, you're right! Besides, all the VW terrain is the same stuff/different color, so I'd bet WotC has control of that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best time to sell I reckon was about 6months ago. But that could change depending on which waves get reprinted (if any) this year. (fingers crossed wave 4)

Have a look in the Gallery at Heroscapers.com and you will see some Lava terrain in some recent photos showcasing new Wave 11 figures... one of which is a fire elemental.

So I see Lava Terrain as a distinct possibility in the future...

I'm also happy to buy up on your Wave 2 and 3 stuff

Cheers,
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to make the world's largest HS map so i'd take everything you've got if we can work it out.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mendenhall
United States
Unspecified
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't do it!

You'll just regret it forever.

To this day, I weep that I gave away my first edition copy of SHOGUN from the Gamemaster series.

AAAAAAGUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGhhhhhhhhhhh. wimper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.