Subject: Never send a priest to do a dwarfs job.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive just completed a couple of dungeon run games,

first time the priest set off, and almost immediately bumped into the drake.... not good! Looking at her skill, it didnt seem wise to retreat, and after afew wounds we were sorted - one dead drake and a treasue I couldnt use (the bow). moving on, it became clear maybe i should have ran, as i immediately bump into the ogre - just as tough, and harder to escape! forced to fight on, the priest went down in a blaze, though it would be hard to call it glorious!

Looking back, it might have made more sense to escape the Drake, though with such a low skill, even that seems pretty dangerous. 1 in 3 chance of a free attack seems just as deadly as duking it out, and when its 1 in 6 as with the ogre, then I kinda felt i had to grit my teeth and hope for a miracle

The dwarf then took up the gauntlet - and ran into the dreaded drake! Since it didnt have any treasure, and the dwarfs skill was decent, we took one unsuccessful swipe at it and then made a successful dash for it. A goblin and an orc gave us an enchanted shield and heroic armour, so from there we were doing OK, until the traps went off! We were pincushioned by both needle traps and the arrow trap, but was able to pay some of that off by defeating a skeleton, a spider and a ghouls with no damage to us and had a nice hammer and some gold to show for it.

Having cashed in 3 encounters for a magic (in case of lich being the boss), I then had to decide whether to take on the drake to round up our successful encounters to 6 and gain another bonus. Feeling pretty tough, I finished him off without too much trouble, but now I had
3 damage - should I heal it or add a bit more magic in case of undead troubles..? In the end i went for magic, but wouldnt you know it, the boss was the dragon. No bonus for humanoid, no reduction for undead - the worst possible choice now i was all magicked up I reckoned.

Still, a hammer, armour, a shield.... thats a lot of kit, but for 4 rounds we fought each other to a standstill. I managed to start creeping on some damage (up to 4, and only took 1 myself, so we were evens, until an unexpected gust of fire added 3 damage to poor dwarf, taking him to 7 in total!

The dragon seized his moment and attacked, rolling for 2 more hits. I had 6 dice to roll, needing 6s, so in all likelihood it was going to be another roasting - until the Dwarf Gods looked favourably upon us -three 6s out of 6 dice! enough to deflect one of the wounds and dish out the 2 left to finish off the dragon!

Final score 1900 points

Its certainly a neat little system - possibly could do with a few more monsters and 'things' going on. Possibly soemthing like having
Trolls regenerating on rolls of 1, or if not wounded in a round, or other effects triggered by the attack rolls and such. As it is, the difference between some of the monsters can be a bit subtle. Of course, you dont want to overcomplicate the thing, but maybe some special mechanics restricted for the bosses

That all said, within the simplicity there's a decent enough range of choices to make, and it was a nicely close run thing at the end. My only real quibble was the poor priests seeming lack of choice in the fight or flight stakes!

I'd advise a couple of gamekeeping tips - I didnt cut up all my wound counters - kept some as 2 and some as 3 - seemed to make it slightly easier to manage the wounds, bit that may jsut be me

Also, I got a set of different colour dice for armour rolls and rolled them at the same time as the dragons attack roll. That sped up the bookkeeping of the armour results slightly.

Now, lets see how this elf gets on.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the elf didnt do too badly, until one fatal error....

Started off getting a goblin, who gave away some goggles. Which didnt stop a block trap falling on my bonce in the very next room! Then I immediately got a poison needle trap - failure to disarm would have been the death of me, but luckily, I just pulled through and was able to heal one of those pesky wounds. A weedy (1 life) familiar fluttered down and then it was off for a bash at some monsters - spider and rat came along and were dispatched pretty easily, with a trueshot bow and slaying sword being found. I levelled up magic again, and wandered off into the path of a skeleton - another easy victory. Then I made my fatal mistake - I took a turn whereby only a T junction would fit, and ended up discarding 3 tiles before one came up - gah!

With nowhere else to go, I had to face the boss - the dragon again. Without any real armour, I was lost, and the elf only managed a couple of hits before roasting was complete - the Dragon was particularly happy to get a Familiar for dessert this time round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can imagine the look on your face when the good luck of finding a familiar was replaced with the bad luck of rolling a 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.