England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
With the inevitable of knocking pieces off the board, I'm wondering why the designers didn't incorporate a border of some kind around the play area to at least help lessen the chances of flying pieces.

Even if the walls were half the height of the thinnest (are they all the same thickness?) discs it would make for some interesting situations with ricochet/rebound techniques, and still allow players to be able to make shots from the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I read that they playtested some walls, but couldn't find anything that didn't get in the way while flicking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roboros
Canada
Guelph
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I found it was preferable for shots to sail off the board (simulating combat misses) rather than be bounced in. However, I'd suggest knocking together a frame to achieve this if you prefer as your cost would certainly be less than adding it to the production of the game.

Also, no frame means no obstruction when taking shots from the edge. And no bouncing fireballs, either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a Crokinole-style moat....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
With the inevitable of knocking pieces off the board, I'm wondering why the designers didn't incorporate a border of some kind around the play area to at least help lessen the chances of flying pieces.

Even if the walls were half the height of the thinnest (are they all the same thickness?) discs it would make for some interesting situations with ricochet/rebound techniques, and still allow players to be able to make shots from the edge.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the ideas.. we did try several different walls or perimeters, but couldn't find something that worked well and was easy to produce too. Ricochets can be a big part of the game with the obstacles because they are wood as well, but we didn't get consistent and strong ricochets with just cardboard. Anyway, we'd always be interested to see what the community comes up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Without even playing the game, as of now. I wonder if any of the following would be suitable:

1. A picture frame minus glass.
The Picture frame would need to be sized so that the board simply dropped into the recess, rather than have any edges fastened/obscured underneath.

2. Poster Hangers. Just cut the desired lengths, and mitre the ends to make tidy corners.

3. A section, or length of plastic wall. Maybe a piece as wide as the largest board with a fingerplate to press onto. Doing this would keep the wall in place, but make it easily moveable.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the game, which I have yet to play, and pieces off the table are best put back on the edge...

Rob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think walls would be a bad idea. As is, obstacles are key to tactics involved. Walls would allow you to circumvent them too easily.

Although, I am considering rubber bands around the obstacles to give them a little more play. As is, they move slightly in the holes, practically stopping dead anything that hits them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from my inexperienced perspective, the reason I picture a Crokinole-style moat and wall is that it generally lets you keep the discs off the floor without letting them return to play. Hmm, maybe just a cheap Crokinole/American Carrom board to act as the table....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alywin Fruge
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having considered this a lot (can't wait for this game to hit the street!), I think I'm going to come down on the side of "I don't think walls are a good idea".

In looking at the size and shape of the rooms being included in the base game (surely hoping to see expansions!) I think any kind of perimeter walls would offer a lot advantage to your flicks. Because there is no penalty for hitting your own pieces, I'd imagine that going for multihits by going for the power shot and getting your piece to ricochet off walls and obstacles is an advantage you would probably employ quite frequently (especially early on when the board is more populated)...dareIsay even abuse?

Like putting inflatable bumpers to fill-in the gutter when you are bowling with little kids, I think walls would decrease the overall difficulty because you'd probably see a decrease in the percentage of precision shots being attempted as compared to power shots. And, as such, I think you run the risk of losing some moments of tenseness when your precision shot percentage drops during a game.

Now, if you are playing with young ones or bad flickers, I like walls as a kind of handicap and I might even work up some myself that will allow me to remove them when it's my turn but drop them in when it's my less-skilled opponent's turn...but otherwise, I speculate that it might be too tempting for players to employ less precise power flicks more frequently.

Personally, I'm thinking a nice addition would be to just work with the "gutter". I'm toying with the idea of developing and printing out some "penalty pits" on paper to make a mat that underlays the game board. I think really overpowered flicks that leave your piece (or pieces) well off the board (heck, even off the table) can be abused just as easily as a power flick that ricochet's everywhere off a wall, so I'm trying to imagine some house rules that account for normal necessary off-the-board flicks as well as those that end up well off the board to make people really really consider their "leave" when flicking.

I'm thinking the off-the-board mat would have three printed zones:
1) a small penalty for ending up 3-4 inches off the board
2) no penalty for landing in the middle area (say, 4-8 inch range)...want to give you chance to go without penalty when a power shot is needed
3) a BENEFIT for ending up in the farthest zone on the mat (8-12 inches) ...I'm thinking this is when you might purposefully go for a risky off-the-board leave to get a desperately-needed boost of some sort
4) but if you end up off the mat (onto the table or floor) you get a moderate to large penalty

Now I just gotta think of some ideas for the penalties and benefit. I'm thinking it would be cool to somehow tailor them to each of the boss monsters. Only wrinkle is they need to work for both the heroes and the monsters even if the actual penalty/benefit is different based on your team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea! The penalty can be as simple as dealing damage to yourself, and the benefit can be extra damage on the target. Sounds like a fun, thematic variant! You get hurt if you sloppily charge the opponent, trying to deal as much damage as possible; however, if you plow in hard enough, you deal extra damage. You'd probably want to alter it (or ignore it) for missiles and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of using legos to build a wall a little ways away from the board just to keep the pieces from going off the table. I don't mind the pieces going off the board, but hated having to chase them down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alywin Fruge
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
Nice idea! The penalty can be as simple as dealing damage to yourself, and the benefit can be extra damage on the target. Sounds like a fun, thematic variant! You get hurt if you sloppily charge the opponent, trying to deal as much damage as possible; however, if you plow in hard enough, you deal extra damage. You'd probably want to alter it (or ignore it) for missiles and the like.

Yeah...for the heroes at least, I had a similar thought: take a point of damage for going off the mat and onto the table (2 points if you hit the floor!!!). Feels nice and thematic that if you go for a strike powerful enough that you go out of bounds, you should take a point of damage to reflect some kind of massive exertion or, as you said, maybe reflect a strong but sloppy charge.

The fun part will be thinking up good benefits for making a good shot that leaves you in the "benefit" zone. I suspect I'll need to see more from the game once it's out to come up with the most flavorful stuff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.