Subject: Quad = Stalemate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran into a situation today where the lone surviving human searched in the lair and found only the talisman and the quad. He was able to survive the ensuing combat against two of the werewolves. Since there were a total of three werewolves and him, on his next turn he used the quad to go to a hex that had zero wolf points and declared that he had achieved a stalemate because he could spend eternity going back and forth between two such hexes. As we understand the rules, the quad negates the calm point penalty of the hexes. We gave up and declared it a stalemate which was most unsatisfying after two hours of play time. Is this a flaw in the game or did we misplay something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wolves can use their points to draw cards. One of those cards adds wolves to tiles for sniffing. Thus, the wolves will get a chance to find him when they use that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Those cards had already been used. It would have taken a long time to go through the rest of the deck and get a reshuffle and it wouldn't have been any fun for anyone by that time. Especially if the sniff had then failed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's what the human player wanted to do, I would call it a human loss, not a draw. You have the possibility of finding him, and killing him eventually. He does not have the possibility of doing anything but stalling until you actually fight.

If you were going to drag it out like that, you'd just make it a point to fight him at night when you're at the advantage.

The most likely result of that fight would be the human death, so I would call that plan a loss for the human, and not a draw.

Since the human player is more likely to lose by doing that, they're better off running for it for the win.

Since the bad human play is to do what he did, it's not a flaw in the game, but a flaw in thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the possibility that you still had your tree blockade left. If so, you could have placed it between the two tiles. He'd have to waste his axe (if he had it) to remove it, making your fight odds even better.

If he didn't have the axe, he would now have to go around the tree, and probably get some wolf icons in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I unfortunately did not have the tree blockade left and he couldn't run for the exit because he hadn't found the map. The only alternative was to play through a long boring stretch in order to get the 3-wolf card which would give me a 50-50 chance at finding him during the second night. That didn't seem like a good use of time so we called it a draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if there were a fuel limit on the quad. If, for instance, there were a fixed number of turns it could be used (1D6 + 2?) it would at least guarantee that the game would end one way or another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agashamirv wrote:
The wolves can use their points to draw cards. One of those cards adds wolves to tiles for sniffing. Thus, the wolves will get a chance to find him when they use that card.

I just mentioned this to the player who had the quad and he pointed out that he could amass enough determination points to cancel that card faster than I, as the werewolf, could get through the deck of pack cards so he could still force a stalemate. I'm playing this again tonight and I think I'm adding a house rule to limit the fuel for the quad, in case this happens again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His plan wouldn't work. He has a limit of 10 determination points. since oyu're doing all the card draw you can pile up the 'frighten' cards. Use them all at once and he'll either have to cancel them, or lose all his determineation and run around scared. Once you've removed his determination, he can't stop your sniff.

You still have the advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Servando Carballar
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Don,

I agree with Scott completely. The pacing of the game with humans "passing" is very quick and there no too much "Pack cards" to get trough the deck. I think that this is a lost cause for the hiker.
You can play as many pack cards togheter and each one iincrease the chance of the werewolf to win. And you have 3 werewolves!!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
He could easily last until morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hiker would have lost unless it was extremely close to daybreak.
The werewolf could have simply picked up a lot pack cards and let loose on the hiker all at once. Even something like a simple 'lose 2 calm' card played a few times will drain the hiker's determination before playing a wolf pack card or two to attack him. And if the werewolf has a father tree pack card, he could make the hiker lose the quad and then it's all over for the smug bugger devil
I play as the werewolf alot, can you tell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.