Subject: Master of the Hunt vs. promos, part 7 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph LaMothe
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We continued our Sea of Blood campaign. This week the party attempts another dungeon - Plains of Red Ice. This is where they placed a new rumor, Hunting the Wyrm from ToI.

I am playing the Master of the Hunt with the Leviathan plot, two bindings broken. I have the Siren and Darkwind LTs, and the hellhound Aura upgrade.
My players have:
Tahlia with Defender and Weapon Mastery +2 black melee dice
Okaluk and Rakash with Spry, +2 black, +2 silver melee dice
Truthseeker Kel with Alex the Wise and Prodigy, +2 black magic dice
Tobin Farslayer with Lucky and Marksman, +2 black ranged dice

The heroes were definitely feeling their increased power this time. Buying those extra power dice made a big difference. I'm also surprised by how often my MotH ability comes up - monsters are quite often left with just 1 wound remaining due to them having an extra. It will be weird moving into silver when normal have more wounds than masters.

No outdoor turns were taken this time; we spent the entire session in the dungeon.

The first dungeon drawn was "Meat Locker", a SoB dungeon level. This one has an invincible hell hound in a cage, that keeps attacking until you feed it some meat from across the level. My group tore through this level - They sent Okaluk with his seven speed right to the meat and back. The heroes get the red runekey just for feeding the hound, so my group mostly ignored the level leader, who is a master manticore with frost. Some characters got frost tokens but the group was on this level for three turns total.

The next level was "Down the Drain" from RtL. This one has a river that the heroes can enter, but monsters can't. The river drains into a pit, and if a hero is swept into the pit they die. No monsters on this map have knockback, sadly. This was another level over in three turns. The leader here was a master skeleton, who didn't manage to make his undying roll.

The final level was the rumor level, Hunting the Wyrm, from ToI. Like most rumor levels, it was a bit bigger with multiple areas. There were lots of shades and wendigos. These monsters with ghost and stealth finally let me stall the heroes a bit and get some kills in. Large groups of shades are tough on this party - three of the four characters can't attack an adjacent shade. But, Kel picked up Cone of Fire and was able to burn away clusters of them, when she hit them. She missed a lot of times. The leader here is a Master Ice Wyrm, who managed to swallow Tahlia whole (yes!) but died before digesting her (no!). The reward for this rumor is that a character gets Ironskin. So now Tahlia has Ironskin, 5 armor(plate mail) and a crystal shield. I despair of ever hurting her again, but at least she won't have Taunt.

This dungeon put us up above 200 conquest, so next week we start the game in silver level. Time to buy some monster upgrades! Total conquest: heroes 93, overlord 133.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Carrozza
Italy
Ravenna
Italy
flag msg tools
Cool description!
And what about some intresting sea battles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaMothe
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So far we've only had the one sea battle, back in session 2 or 3. Right now the heroes are exploring areas on the "mainland."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hayes
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One quick question - when playing the Dungeon levels, do you normally let the Heroes know all the text on the card? Do they find out about the meat starightaway, or through trial and error? We've been playing read it but weren't really sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Honn
msg tools
The rules are that you read the entire card (to tired to look up the page right now but it explicitly states that you should read the entire card). You don't show them the map itself so they wont know about any secret markers, but they know the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hayes
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome, thanks Honn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheHunterBoy wrote:
Cool description!
And what about some intresting sea battles?

The most cursory analysis shows that it is really stupid for the heroes to go to sea before they have upgraded the Revenge, themselves, or preferably both.
Consequently the heroes should probably spend their first 6+ turns on land, more often than not - though as always things depend on how badly they screw up in the first few dungeons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Honn
msg tools
Well, with only one land dungeon near the starting location they are forced to brave the high seas pretty quickly, if only to get to a larger land mass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honn wrote:
Well, with only one land dungeon near the starting location they are forced to brave the high seas pretty quickly, if only to get to a larger land mass :P

You are quite right.

I had misread Gafford as Garnett for the starting location! (thanks)

Still, they need to do that dungeon first, upgrade the Revenge, then head straight to the mainland. Swanning around at sea in an un-upgraded ship is really asking for trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.