Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Feigl
Austria
Steyr
Upper Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played our first game tonight, showdown 1 with 3 players (death match), only chapter I rules.

We liked that it played fast, didn't seem too complicated (once you decipher the rules), but the result card deck seemed *very* random.

Is this mitigated by later rules? It feels a bit as if everything you do boils down to luck or no luck in drawing a card when firing..

I want to like this game, but if it is as random as it seems after this first play (and after a quick study of the cards' statistics), that might be hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was originally designed for an audience of wargamers, who understand that randomness is important in simulations, and happily juggle probabilities rather than certainties.

Looking at your profile, it appears that you primarily play Eurogames, so I don't know whether you will learn to love it or not. Some do, some don't.

ecraven wrote:
Is this mitigated by later rules?

No, most of us who enjoy the game think it works better this way.

[edit] Just noticed your Hammer of the Scots badge. Gunslinger has no more luck than HotS. Stick with it. Examine the cards, and figure the odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a probability chart for the Result Cards near the back of the rules which you should pay close attention to. And note that acquiring MOve or Run status early in the turn reduces the chance of a wound by about 15% IIRC.

It is true that the random factor can cause you to lose any given Showdown even if you play more or less perfectly. In the long run, success will be determined by skill not luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Feigl
Austria
Steyr
Upper Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a question about run/move status, the rules state:
"if the target played a foot action at the start of his turn or has dropped this turn, he has "Move" Target Status".

does this mean i have to play the foot action as the first card ("start of his turn"), or merely that i have to play *any* foot action some time in my turn?
same question about Run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, don't confuse "randomness" with the fact that the weapons of the time were not accurate at any distance. You had to be close to ensure a hit.

If you are at some distance, or if you don't spend time aiming, or if you you aren't skilled with the weapon, the fact that you have to cock and fire a single-action weapon, or be strong to work a double-action weapon is built into the "randomness."

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that if the target has "revealed" a move or drop action by the segment when you are resolving the shot, then that target has move status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Actually, later rules do add strategy to offset the randomness, e.g. 21.1-3 and 28.1-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the rules say that you had to have played it, whether you revealed it or not. You claim the move statuss and then show the card at the end of the turn to confirm it.

The premise is that all the actions are happening simultaneously, whether revealed or not.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex777 wrote:
There is a probability chart for the Result Cards near the back of the rules which you should pay close attention to. And note that acquiring MOve or Run status early in the turn reduces the chance of a wound by about 15% IIRC.

It is true that the random factor can cause you to lose any given Showdown even if you play more or less perfectly. In the long run, success will be determined by skill not luck.

Agreed. Player's do need to be aware of the probability chart as a great deal of the tension in the game is down to the key question of whether to fire before the other guy gets a shot off or to hold your nerve, build your aim points and have a much better chance of hitting your opponent. But if you wait too long you run the risk of never getting shot off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.