James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: My memory is terrible. Ironic considering I'm a machine devil

The Setup

We agreed at the start of this game to do one thing: Draw our characters randomly and having taken boomer out of the character pool. (I am so sick of people picking Boomer...) We did so and to my utter shock I drew President Roslin. Aghast at my misfortune (I now have Cancer after all...) I stared at my compatriots.

We had successfully drawn a working group: Baltar, Roslin, Helo, Adama and Apollo. Having discussed whether or not to trade out Baltar given his redundant role we decided not to and pushed on.

To the Loyalty cards!

And so they were ordered and dispatched out to the players until all the colour drained from the face of Rob, or Admiral Adama as you may also know him. He turned over his card to reveal the sympathiser ... Right. Well that isn't correct! Deigned the organiser of components - As he retrieved the loyalty cards (including my Not a cylon) he reassembled the deck and passed them out again.

This time I'm a Cylon. I quickly tidy my card away and make a reference to the rather bizarre lamp in the background of the Not a Cylon card ... I watch the others suspiciously for clues. Aaron (aka Apollo) picks up his loyalty card and makes a notable scoff - and saying that it is indeed a bizarre lamp in the background.

They're sold that I'm not a Cylon but I'm quick to accuse those who didn't check their loyalty cards as part of my parlour trick. I'm handed my Qurom cards and the game commences.

Sowing the Seeds

So I'm the President of the Twelve Colonies... In control of the Quorum card deck and largely trusted by my underlings. I sling accusations here and there but mostly joke about being a Cylon. Double-bluff indeed. We have a fairly quiet start with XOs making their way around the table as I draw and play Quorum cards to increase the pitiful human's chances to survive.

Irritatingly I nail a few of these rolls, but I'm playing the long game here. After all, I'm the president and first opportunity I get to label someone a Cylon I'm hitting them with a brig - The less certain I am the better of course .

Twice in the opening 1/4 of the game did I have the chance to check the Loyalty cards of others and twice I discovered a human - But decided to leave them without accusations. After all, I had a long way to go to survive Baltar's Detection after the second lot of cards come in.

Then disaster. Apollo gets a chance to check either the Admiral's or the President's loyalty cards. But damn it I've already checked the Admiral! Apollo reaches over and takes my loyalty card from me.

Examining it briefly he hands it back to me ... "He's Human."

Too shocked to say much I quietly retrieve my loyalty card and again stash it behind me. What luck! Apollo is my fellow Cylon and how perfect this is! They will have no strong pilots left and their president is a Cylon!

"I find it funny how often we start these games with no Cylons..." I remark.

"It's so true, I think it would be a lot harder if we did start with them though! Maybe we should rig it so we get at least one?" Some petty human replies.

"I don't think we need to, It'll average out in the end and we'll get both Cylons at the beginning." I state and the game continues.

On to Distance 4!

The Discovery

As we successfully jumped a second time I decided it was time to act. The group had decided that Baltar was a Cylon and had appropriately brigged him. Grinning (inside) I watched as the Turn order worked out perfectly ... I needed to ensure that Baltar didn't use his check on me but how?

He draws tactics!

"XO me and I'll pardon you and brig Rob [Adama]" I offer "I'm determined he's a Cylon since the draw!"

Baltar looks at me, and throws the XO down. "Do it."

As I stare at my good fortune, I pick up my Quorum cards.

"As promised..." I place down an Arrest order in front of the Admiral. Then I place an Arrest order down in front of Helo.

"I'll have to get you out next turn" I grin and tell the Admiral it's his turn.

As the humans all dwell inside the jail they struggle to get out and fail to do so repeatedly. Two full times we circled the table holding them in the brig before Apollo revealed damaging Galactica in the process. Whilst I don't think he should have ever revealed I continued to hold them in the brig solo whilst he worked the crises in our favour and of course delivering a Nuclear blow to Galactica's stockpiles.

Eventually though the Humans escaped confinement and brigged me, I revealed and took my deployment Super crisis. The turns inside the brig had been bad for the Crew, numerous Civilian ships were destroyed and almost the entire viper squad was in the damaged reserves box.

Perhaps even worse, when they had fortunately found a jump in the crisis cards I had selected a Tylium planet and refused to risk a raptor.

Now at a Distance of only 5 and working to repair the damaged Galactica her crew I deployed my massive deployment super crisis and knocked their jump distance back a crucial two points and in only a matter of turns they gave in to hunger, thirst and the cold embrace of the one true God.

Epilogue

This is probably my favourite game yet and the only one where I've been a Cylon from the beginning. I have until now strongly underrated Roslin but I found her to be a great character to play as. We had a small discussion whilst playing about whether or not she had to discard two cards and if she did not have them could not activate a location. We deemed that this was the intention (Unlike picking options on a Crisis where you can always pick A or B).

I was pleased in general with how the game progressed, I didn't want the game to end with a "We can't get out of the Brig, we lose" so when Apollo revealed I was disappointed but understood his motivations. It made for an interesting and tense game. I liked keeping Boomer out of the game but I did meet with objections - People (i.e. the guy who always picks her) thinks it's ridiculous to rule her out just because one player thinks she's overpowered and overplayed.

Honestly I'd do it again, I think she has a huge advantage over everyone and no real drawbacks. She has a great once a game, a great every-turn and only a minor annoyance of a drawback. Oppositely Roslin has a poor once a game, a great (possibly the best once a turn) and quite likely the worst of all the character faults.

Balance is a funny thing... I almost wish we played more often with 6 or 4 so I could enforce the official no sympathiser rules to get rid of her! Also, are there any recommendations to help make Saul Tigh less of a fail choice even in the base-game?

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did writing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JamesR87 wrote:
We had a small discussion whilst playing about whether or not she had to discard two cards and if she did not have them could not activate a location. We deemed that this was the intention (Unlike picking options on a Crisis where you can always pick A or B).

You were right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
JamesR87 wrote:
We had a small discussion whilst playing about whether or not she had to discard two cards and if she did not have them could not activate a location. We deemed that this was the intention (Unlike picking options on a Crisis where you can always pick A or B).

You were right.

And thus further illustrates to my friend who thinks she's more overpowered than boomer - Precisely why he's wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesR87 wrote:
Eventually though the Humans escaped confinement and brigged me, I revealed and took my deployment Super crisis.

I thought if you were in the brig when you revealed you didn't get a super crisis card. At least that's the way we've always played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
JamesR87 wrote:
Eventually though the Humans escaped confinement and brigged me, I revealed and took my deployment Super crisis.

I thought if you were in the brig when you revealed you didn't get a super crisis card. At least that's the way we've always played it.

Revealing in the brig prevents you from using your reveal ability but it does not keep you from getting a super crisis. In the Pegasus expansion you do not get a super crisis if you are executed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
In the Pegasus expansion you do not get a super crisis if you are executed.

Yes, but in Pegasus you can draw as many super-crisis cards as you like (albeit only one per turn) before you leave the resurrection ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
JamesR87 wrote:

Then you've seriously been screwing your Cylons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
JamesR87 wrote:
Having discussed whether or not to trade out Baltar given his redundant role we decided not to and pushed on.

I don't understand. How is Baltar's role redundant? Sure, he's not President, but I don't think Political and Military Leaders are made redundant simply by virtue of not being the one to start with the respective power role, and I can't see what else could possibly make you see him as redundant - in fact, since none of your other four characters draw any Engineering at all, having him around seems like a very good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
in fact, since none of your other four characters draw any Engineering at all, having him around seems like a very good thing.

Well that's one answer, to pick a pure support character who draws predominantly repair cards and another is to pick a second true pilot since one is rarely enough.

If you start the game with only one Pilot (Helo barely counts, drawing 1 Piloting card) then you're asking a) For him to be a Cylon and B) To get a lot of Cylon Attack Crises.

Which is precisely what happened on both counts.

If the resources hadn't gone first, the Population definitely would have as they relied on Brute Force and Galactica's Turrets to destroy incoming Raiders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
JamesR87 wrote:
Well that's one answer, to pick a pure support character who draws predominantly repair cards and another is to pick a second true pilot since one is rarely enough.

If you start the game with only one Pilot (Helo barely counts, drawing 1 Piloting card) then you're asking a) For him to be a Cylon and B) To get a lot of Cylon Attack Crises.

Which is precisely what happened on both counts.

If the resources hadn't gone first, the Population definitely would have as they relied on Brute Force and Galactica's Turrets to destroy incoming Raiders.

Eh, in a five-player game I think one Pilot plus Helo is fine, especially if that Pilot is not Boomer. Using Executive Orders to double-tap Command is highly effective against Raiders, and cheaper to pull off than spending Maximum Firepowers. And Baltar has plenty of Repair for one character, since his Delusional Intuition allows him to get 2 Engineering per turn as necessary; the only character with better Engineering draw than that is Tyrol, whose negative ability is more harmful, whose ongoing ability is more situational, and whose OPG is far weaker.

If anything, I would say that the proper character to throw out in this situation would be not Baltar but Helo, to be replaced by another Pilot for both a solid two full Pilots and two separate characters with Engineering draw (so that Toaster-Baltar doesn't leave the humans forced to use the Research Lab). Though, really, I don't think any character really needs to be replaced here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we will have to agree to disagree, it might very well be my distaste for dual-Loyalty carders weighing in on the facts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Baltar is redundant either - he's not my favorite by any means, but if your President is a toaster, it's valuable to have a backup politician to help you keep passing the skill checks. Really, unless you break the rules and are missing a group (pilot/mil/pol) I don't see any selection as being redundant. Baltar's skill draw makes him fill in for anyone who becomes a Cylon, as he can even draw a piloting card - can't fly but he can help the defending unmanned vipers.

That said, if you don't care for the character choice (or the second loyalty card) I think that's totally fair. I'm not a fan of Boomer myself, but I find myself in the minority as far as that goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.