Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm missing the Continental chain marker from a recent thrift store find of a 1963 3M Acquire, but I could paint one of these to meet the need:

The earliest versions of Phlounder used the same tile featuring a pressed fleur de lis on one side.

Who can help?

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be a guy on Ebay selling pretty much any part you needed for any version of Acquire. He is the guy who created "Lloyd's Rules of Acquire". The last time I checked, he seemed to have quit Ebay for whatever reason, but he may be back. Take a look. I bought some wooden tiles from him for $1 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it looks like he is back in business. He seems to have raised his price, though ($2.25).

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

I suggest sending him a message to see if he has one. It is extremely likely he does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
also see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/5?ha...

(the link is from the stats section for those with parts for trade)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be aware that 99.999999999999% of people not specifying "wooden tiles" will have plastic tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Just be aware that 99.999999999999% of people not specifying "wooden tiles" will have plastic tiles.

This seems about right. As a consideration, should I spend over four dollars buying a single tile (when the rest of the game set me back 99 cents) or should I sell the tiles on line for two bucks and corner the market in replacement tiles?

What I might do is fabricate a completely new set of chain markers using Scrabble tiles or some-such. It's not like the going on fifty year old game is mint anyways.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wooden tile edition of Acquire sells for roughly $100 on Ebay. $4 for a critical tile is pocket change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
The wooden tile edition of Acquire sells for roughly $100 on Ebay. $4 for a critical tile is pocket change.

Point well-taken! I have messaged the ebay seller to determine if he has the exact tile that I am missing - I would certainly pay gladly for that specific tile as it spares me the time and expense of painting a single tile aquamarine, torquoise, or whatever that color happens to be.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
dcorban wrote:

This seems about right. As a consideration, should I spend over four dollars buying a single tile (when the rest of the game set me back 99 cents) or should I sell the tiles on line for two bucks and corner the market in replacement tiles?

What I might do is fabricate a completely new set of chain markers using Scrabble tiles or some-such. It's not like the going on fifty year old game is mint anyways.

Gg

Another thing to bear in mind is that even though the back of the tile (the embossed fleur-de-lite) looks the same on all tiles, different printings used different fonts for the tile location, and printed the characters on different areas of the tile. (It looks like they would stamp a whole set of tiles at once, so all the designations were on the same spot on the tiles in any given set.) Still playable, but looks odd when all the other tiles are face-up. I bought a replacement tile from that guy because one tile in my set wasn't embossed (it had a flat back, which is kind of like a marked card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! My wooden tile copy also had one tile which was flat on the back.

When I play, I place the tiles on the board face-down. There is no need to see the tile numbers, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
When I play, I place the tiles on the board face-down. There is no need to see the tile numbers, anyway.

as long as no one mistakenly places the face down tile on the wrong space and then wouldn't be noticed until someone tries to place the correct tile on that space.

I actually played once where even laying them face up one ended up in the wrong spot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played many times with editions that use face-up tiles, and I have never double-checked anyone's tile play. I suspect that other players are the same way, trusting the active player's play. Although, I do know a couple players who would gladly volunteer to be the tile police.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I have played many times with editions that use face-up tiles, and I have never double-checked anyone's tile play. I suspect that other players are the same way, trusting the active player's play. Although, I do know a couple players who would gladly volunteer to be the tile police.

Just to be clear... it's not a matter of trust, as someone would have to be stupid to do so deliberately. In some 3M editions it's actually hard to tell some of the tiles apart unless you see them side by side as well. Catching accidental mistakes early is important. Almost every game I've seen folks (including myself) make honest mistakes that are caught. Even Carcassonne games that we play every session (girlfriend loves hunters/gatherers) someone at least once misses a little road or something that makes the placement they want to do not legal.

Do note that with the 1999 AH big box placing tiles upside down.

I don't even understand why anyone would play the game placing the tiles face down? Aesthetics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
We always place the tiles face-up, so such mistakes are much less likely, which is the reason having one tile with a different font and printed out of place looks bad (refering to my above comments.) Which is the reason why I keep both tiles. When that one is played it gets swapped out for the tile without the fleur-de-lite embossment and looks correct face-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
I don't even understand why anyone would play the game placing the tiles face down?

What a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled across this thread again. I just wanted to say that after dozens of plays, there has still not been a single instance of someone playing a tile in the wrong spot.

I don't understand the possibility of confusion, since all of the tiles always have the number first, followed by the letter. Once this is known, there should be no trouble.

And the face-down wooden tiles still look damn sweet on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I stumbled across this thread again. I just wanted to say that after dozens of plays, there has still not been a single instance of someone playing a tile in the wrong spot.

We play with some old people. I would say it happens in more than 10% of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they can't read unique number-letter combinations, then the final outcome is probably a crap shoot anyway, so it doesn't matter if they place something in the wrong spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It must be nice to know people who never make a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.