John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I get very frustrated when BGG tells me I have games I don't have and will not acknowledge games I do have.

BGG has decided that as some games are virtually the same game, it's only going to have one entry for those games. So although I have Hollywood Blockbuster, 6 Nimmt! and Master's Gallery, BGG tells me I have Dream Factory, Category 5 and Modern Art the Card Game. BGG can I tell you something? I don't have those games.

I know I can change the names in my collection to the right ones, but my display of last ten games played (or random games from my collection) displays games I don't have and it's very annoying.

I have had Hollywood Blockbuster for a year, but I found out today when I went to log a play that I have traded it for Dream Factory without realising it.

It's also a little inconsistent. It does allow me to differentiate between Cosmic Encounter and Cosmic Encounter. It's nice to know I still have both of them.

So please BGG if a game has different name, different artwork and basically is different enough that it should be listed separately, list them seperately. Please let me have the games I own, not ones I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or at the very least allow us to easily specify which one it is in game links etc.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
thepackrat wrote:
Or at the very least allow us to easily specify which one it is in game links etc.

B>

Hmm, on the RPG side there is support for different versions of a product, ie. electronic, bound, etc. and you can select which version you have, this could be expanded to handle this as well....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Blohmé
Sweden
Simlångsdalen
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hear, hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree. I don't know if separate listings are the right approach though. For instance, I own Perudo, not Liar's Dice. Do they need different entries? Nope.

Perhaps what they could do is have something added to the "add a copy of this game to my collection" feature where you can select the name of the game you actually own. That way I know I have Perudo, and you know that you have Hollywood Blockbuster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The BGG programmers are working on a versions system that we will implement on the BGG side that will help differentiate the various versions of the games that are contained within database entries. Until then, you can name the games in your collection with the name of your choice. Go to the collection information on that game's page, and double-click the title. You can select from among the listed alternate names, but you can also enter a title of your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
The BGG programmers are working on a versions system that we will implement on the BGG side that will help differentiate the various versions of the games that are contained within database entries. Until then, you can name the games in your collection with the name of your choice. Go to the collection information on that game's page, and double-click the title. You can select from among the listed alternate names, but you can also enter a title of your choice.

You can, but it isn't very useful for gamelinks.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

I have done that, but I still get the wrong thumbnails with the Widget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JohnBandettini wrote:
skelebone wrote:

I have done that, but I still get the wrong thumbnails with the Widget.

Have you set the thumbnails for your collection to the version you own? I don't use the widget, so I don't have any experience with that one personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
You can already specify which image you want from the gallery to show with your game entry, so I imagine another bit of code that lets you select an alternate name for the entry would be too taxing... he says... ninja

EDIT - Typical. This is the danger of leaving your browser window open and not refreshing before you post a comment... This was covered above! Apologies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanisland wrote:
You can already specify which image you want from the gallery to show with your game entry
How do you do that? I would like to do that for quite a few of my games meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Set the image under the Version details of the game. This is the same space where one can set language/publisher etc for each game specifically.

NB - It won't change the standard image for the game on the game page, but does affect the image displayed in our collection view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Sachan
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the collection information on that game's page, and double-click the title. You can select from among the listed alternate names, but you can also enter a title of your choice.

could someone translate? 'go to the collection information on that game's page'? Where is this? I've been stymied by this too. I own Rumis, not Blokus 3D. And I own Kaliko, not Psyche paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Go to the game's entry: Kaliko
Under User Information, double click on the box containing the title. (Don't click on the title, but on the white space around the title)
You will see a drop-down box allowing you to choose an alternate title. Select Kaliko.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

B>

Hmm, on the RPG side there is support for different versions of a product, ie. electronic, bound, etc. and you can select which version you have, this could be expanded to handle this as well....

Yeah, seperate version/edition entries would be nice!thumbsup

The main entry should be the original game, whether it be from the US or India, from 2009 or 700 BC.

I think the RPG site has this handled quite well!thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Engoduun wrote:
The main entry should be the original game, whether it be from the US or India, from 2009 or 700 BC.

No. There are cases where a game appears in two different editions right from the start, so the definition of 'original' becomes fuzzy. What should happen is that pointing to a title like Tempus lands you on the Tempus family page, where a user can then click further for specific editions. I think that the current concept of 'main entry' should be abstracted behind the user interface: how the games are stored in the DB is not really important to us users, after all. All we care about is the presentation meeple.

It would be nice if the new DB model would also allow for 'extended familiarity' of sorts, as is the case with for example Cuba/Havana, El Grande/El Caballero, Puerto Rico/San Juan, and Funkenschlag/Fabrikmanager; or perhaps even more remotely Civilization/Sid Meier's Civilization—but we'll cross that river once we reach its shores.

Still, it's a delicate and complex piece of work, so I wish the programmers well with this endeavour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Sachan
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sneezy96
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Set the image under the Version details of the game. This is the same space where one can set language/publisher etc for each game specifically.

I'm sorry, but how exactly do I do this??? I don't know where to find the Version details. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
Also, I am just now working on a system that should allow us to track different versions of board games in the database. It should automate just about all of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
I have had Hollywood Blockbuster for a year, but I found out today when I went to log a play that I have traded it for Dream Factory without realising it.

What naming standard led to this change? I thought BGG's preference for primary name was the first edition published in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sneezy96 wrote:
I don't know where to find the Version details. Thanks!

There are at least two places: on your collection list and in the user info block of each game's page.

1. Click these, in order: My Geek, Collection. Columns, Version, Done.
2. Now click a cell in the Version column. You can browse the images or enter an image ID here. Remember to click "Save".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Sneezy96 wrote:
I'm sorry, but how exactly do I do this??? I don't know where to find the Version details. Thanks!

— Add a copy of a game to your collection if you have not already done so.
— In the boxes amongst those where you can fill out your comment, rating, status, and the like, locate the one associated with Version.
— Doubleclick in its interior.
— A new window appears. Fill out an ImageID in the appropriate field, or click on the magnifying glass to select one from the usual selection window.
— Save your settings.
— Done.

The image you selected will appear every time your collection is viewed, including the widget. It will not replace the representative image of the game's page, however, since that is not linked to your collection. One could change it, though, by abusing a particular tag. I forgot the details, and I'm not sure the functionality is still active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This trick and a number of others can be found on this geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Also, I am just now working on a system that should allow us to track different versions of board games in the database. It should automate just about all of this.

thumbsup

Will this eliminate the need for alternate titles? The game entry will be comprised of seperate "versions or editions" just like on geekdo for RPG items, if I interpret this correctly. And I can choose which of these I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

uuuuu does that mean you'll be able to merge back same games that were split into 2 entries like wabash cannonball/chicago express?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.