Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Metz solo and had this situation develop. King Tiger was hit by a Pershing for -3 morale on the American turn. In the return fire by the Tiger, Morale Boost was drawn as the firer battle card and the Tiger managed to score -2 morale on the Pershing in the end.

Q1: Is this considered the same combat (I would say yes) for the prohibition of only one morale boost per combat? While it didn't happen in this instance, can two morale boosts occur in the same exchange of fire between two units once as the firer and once as the defender?

Q2: How does morale boost affect the morale loss differential? Does morale boost cancel 2 points of the -3 the Tiger suffered earlier (same combat)? Or does it go on as a separate +2 token? To phrase another way, did the Tiger win or lose this particular exchange?

Of course, I'm hoping for lost...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Kroegel
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The morale boosts are factered into the results of the battle. The side that suffers the most net negative wins the battle. Morale boosts can turn the tide of a losing situation.

The answer to your first question is yes, it is the same combat.

The answer to your second question is that the morale boost cancels the negatives inflicted and so hence the Tiger wins the combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the respons Chuck, that's how I figured it worked even though that tiger is pushing me back cry

Great game! The variety and interaction of the cards is terrific. The level of support your team is providing here at BGG is top notch too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played that scenario last night. That Tiger is a beast, but so are those Waffen SS units, especially when dug in and fire first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally took care of the Tiger with bombers and lots of artillery support to finish it off. But it is a tough one. I still lost by running out of time to get to the city.

Don't forget on the Waffen SS that they don't auto dig in in solo Metz scenario. Chuck had clarified that on another thread. Once they move, they lose their dug in status. That makes them a little easier to dispatch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed that. Do they start the scenario dug in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That they do, the King Tiger also starts dug in. All the German units start that way in Metz. But unless the US rushes units up to engage right away, the 2 SS units and the Tiger will move forward and break their dug in status on the first non-player turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed that in the scenario rules too. In fact, I still can't find it. Is it in a FAQ somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Kroegel
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You will find the rule that states that non player units start the game dug in on page 9 under 7.1, Solo Scenario under the section "Starting Unit Cards and Markers.

On page 9-10 under "Non-Player Unit Card Deck", you will find that reinforcing non player units are also placed dug in.

Thanks and enjoy the game!

Chuck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuck K,

I apologize for my continuing stupidity. I don't have the rules with me that came with my copy of the game, so I downloaded the version 1.3 rules from BGG. The paragraph you mention, 'Starting Unit Cards and Markers' makes no mention of non player units starting the game dug in. Are the rules I downloaded the most current?

I did find the text you mentioned in the 'non-player unit card deck' paragraph on page 10 about reinforements coming onto the playing field dug in. It does make sense if reinforcements are dug in then so too should be the starting units.

Thanks for a great game! I am already looking forward to future expansions and scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
kinga1965 wrote:
Chuck K,

I apologize for my continuing stupidity. I don't have the rules with me that came with my copy of the game, so I downloaded the version 1.3 rules from BGG. The paragraph you mention, 'Starting Unit Cards and Markers' makes no mention of non player units starting the game dug in. Are the rules I downloaded the most current?

It looks like 1.3 rules removed the line of starting non-player units being dug-in from the start.

My physical rulebook that came with the game states under 7.1:

"Starting unit cards and markers: Place the Non-player starting unit cards on their indication map tiles. Starting unit cards begin with dug-in markers. ...."

The latest 1.3 rules:

"Starting unit cards and markers: Place the Non-player starting unit cards on their indication map tiles. Choose the player's starting units from the Unit Deck, spending the initial prestige as indicated in the unit deck box ..."

The sentence about starting dug-in is no longer in the latest rulebook. Is this intentional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
A question about Combat and Morale Boost.

If I play a combat card that says the unit gains 2 morale. Or the terget unit loses 2 morale.

Does this mean permanently for the rest of the game? Or is it only for that current combat phase? Or both combat phases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.