• [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too! The new gates sound interesting, as do the relationship cards. Looks like a new take on the small box expansion for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like where they're going with it - Small box expansions can often be nice-to-haves rather than must haves purely because they make little functional difference to the games.

This however ... This is a whole load of new mechanics in one tiny box.

Gief and gief now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of initial thoughts/hopes:

- After their absence in Innsmouth, I'm very happy to have new common and unique items (and spells, I guess). Common item and unique item stacks can never be too big though it will mean I probably have to rebuild my card holder again.
- I like the idea of Relationship cards a lot. Anything that helps direct the role-playing part of the game but stays within the rules without being too much to remember is very welcome. This seems to have a lot of potential as relationships might be beneficial or really not (imagine the possibilities of investigators who hate each other's guts).
- It sounds like the Dark Pact deck is dedicated to the Lurker (sort of like the Blights are dedicated to the King in Yellow). Not sure if I prefer that or not, but if it is part of the game, hopefully it won't suffer dilution as much as some other small box elements.
- I hope the new other world encounters will have some encounters for the Dunwich and Kingsport worlds. Those are really thinned out when mixed with all the expansions together. I doubt we'll get new cards for the small board locations though--probably just Arkham proper--though for those of us who are completists, even one new card for each of the other locations would be a treat.
- I for one never like to throw out components (in Race for the Galaxy, I just modded all my Gambling Worlds so they could all stay in the game)...so I'll probably just mix in the new gates with the old ones unless you can't for some reason (so there will be some "boring" gates to go with the new "interesting" ones).
- Does anyone have an interpretation for the Double gate of Lost Carcosa/Another Time? Choose-your-own-gate gate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I love the new gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurker at the Threshold was my first Lovecraft story. Sounds good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds SWEET! Thanks for the heads-up! I missed the listing for this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
rwinder wrote:

- Does anyone have an interpretation for the Double gate of Lost Carcosa/Another Time? Choose-your-own-gate gate?

Well, there was a mention of some gates moving... so it's possible that those gates move when either of those symbols comes up. Being over on the side instead of at the bottom would seem to indicate that those function with some particular difference, which might mean the movement thing. I like the choose-your-own gate idea, though.

Inasmuch as the Relationship Cards can help introduce some more character interaction into the game, that would be terrific. As it is now, trading items and killing a monster to clear a path for someone else are about the only character-based interactive elements in the game.

I've only been so-so about all of the small box expansions, and actually traded away the two I had picked up... just seemed like too much extra stuff without a lot of real essential content... but this one sounds like a keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh....I really wasn't expecting another expansion. Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can add it to a wishlist near you: Arkham Horror: The Lurker at the Threshold Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rwinder wrote:
Does anyone have an interpretation for the Double gate of Lost Carcosa/Another Time? Choose-your-own-gate gate?

Maybe you have to explore both Other Worlds before you can attempt to close the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ryanhanson wrote:
rwinder wrote:
Does anyone have an interpretation for the Double gate of Lost Carcosa/Another Time? Choose-your-own-gate gate?

Maybe you have to explore both Other Worlds before you can attempt to close the gate.

Oh, now that would be a challenge. But if they do that, more explored tokens might need to eb included in this expansion. Explroe the one side, place an explored token. Then explroe the other side and finally get an opportunity to close it. That would be great if two different players could collect the explored tokens as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Inasmuch as the Relationship Cards can help introduce some more character interaction into the game, that would be terrific. As it is now, trading items and killing a monster to clear a path for someone else are about the only character-based interactive elements in the game.

I would be most amused to discover that some of the relationship cards interact with the back stories from Innsmouth. Doesn't seem likely, but it'd be neat if they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Me neither, I thought they had "maxed" the game out with dilution, etc. Not saying I won't buy this the week it comes out, but will there be an end to AH expansions?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Me neither, I thought they had "maxed" the game out with dilution, etc. Not saying I won't buy this the week it comes out, but will there be an end to AH expansions?

-shnar

I suspect that as long as we keep buyin' 'em, they'll keep makin' 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Grudunza wrote:
shnar wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

-shnar

I suspect that as long as we keep buyin' 'em, they'll keep makin' 'em.

I suspect the small boxes will go on forever, I think (and hope) Innsmouth was the last of the big box expansions. I am finally getting around to a new kitchen table and basing the minimum size on being able to get all the Arkham expansions on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I'll have to renovate my foamcore arrangement.

Fortunately, I'll get to see whether or not my anti-dilution variant will truly accommodate future expansions as I had promised!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news. I had been hoping for a new small box. I have noticed that they have alternated up to now - so what comes next??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! . . . .Yes yes yes yes yes! Yes!! YES!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Can you tell I've been hoping for a new small-box expansion?)

I can't wait! This'll be the first expansion to come out since I got addicted to Arkham Horror (in June/July-ish)

I was afraid they'd only release "big-box" expansions....actually, I was afraid the game had 'run its course' or something- guess it hasn't!

(thought maybe FF had cast it aside in favor of the Cthulhu card game)

But wasn't "Lurker at the Threshold" a Derleth book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I read that right, there's going to be over 100 new location cards? I wonder if they're going to include location cards for the other expansions?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit this is the most intriguing expansion for Arkham Horror in a long time. I'll be keen to pick this one up sooner rather than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Did I read that right, there's going to be over 100 new location cards? I wonder if they're going to include location cards for the other expansions?

-shnar

No, there will be 100 big cards. This includes mythos, other worlds and regular encounters.

Sounds like a great expansion. Can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not that sure. Gates were okay already....Simple but efficient, some gates were tougher already based on modifier and other world location.??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
rwinder wrote:
- I for one never like to throw out components (in Race for the Galaxy, I just modded all my Gambling Worlds so they could all stay in the game)...so I'll probably just mix in the new gates with the old ones unless you can't for some reason (so there will be some "boring" gates to go with the new "interesting" ones).

Does seem like a bit of a 'waste' of the old gates, but if you mix them all together you're removing another method of losing (no remaining gate markers so Ancient One awakens if a gate opens).

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Does seem like a bit of a 'waste' of the old gates, but if you mix them all together you're removing another method of losing (no remaining gate markers so Ancient One awakens if a gate opens).

This is really off-topic but has anyone REALLY lost this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.