Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy Combat Commander, and it is one of our favourite wargames. What makes it great is that you have to cope with a degree of the unpredictable, making planning all that more important.

Sometimes, however, your troop's behaviour is a little unusual, and you have to wonder what those men were thinking.

The first time my wife and I played this scenario, I played the Brits and the battle went something like this:

Cpl. Singh: By Jove, I think we're in the midst of a smoke barrage.

Lt. Lyndhurst: Nonsense Old Boy. That's just the smoke from us puffing away on these fine briars. There's nothing quite like a fine pipe.

Singh: Quite right. Then I shall just continue waxing my moustaches into as fine of points as possible.

Lyndhurst: Capital idea. Would you like a spot of tea?

Singh: Why yes I think I would. I say, the noise of those artillery barrages and that heavy machine gun are a bit of a nuisance.

Lyndhurst: Why, I've a notion the Italians are attacking us.

Singh: Well then, perhaps we ought to take up positions.

Lyndhurst: Tut, tut Old Man: I merely said I've a notion that the Italians are attacking.

Singh: Quite right. Mind you, the small arms fire has created enough rents in our officers' tent that I can see soldiers coming up the hill firing at us. They do look rather Italian. Perhaps we should return fire.

Lyndhurst: Why Singh you do talk Tommy Rot. Return fire? Now that would hardly be sporting now would it. Besides this hill of sand is as impregnable as Fortress Singapore. It will never be overrun.

Singh: No, of course not.

Lyndhurst: It does seem these blasted territorials are leaving their positions.

Singh: It gives all appearances of being a bit of a rout.

Lyndhurst: Well. perhaps things are getting a bit sticky. I guess there's nothing for it then.

Singh and Lyndhurst: For King and country!

[After a number of hard fought attempts to retake the hill, the British finally surrendered.]

Playing this a second time, I played the Italians and my wife played the Brits, and it was a totally different story. The Italians did alot, but little of it turned out right.

Lt. Visconti: Radovic, I'm taking the light machine gun and the main force to disract the Brits, while you move up on their south-east. I've ordered an artillery barrage which should soften them up. Intelligence reports that its tea time so we should be able to sneak up on the Brits. Over.

Cpl Radovic: I'm in position. Over.

Visconti: I'm pinned down out here! The Brits are firing at us with a heavy machine gun. What kind of a stupido said they would be having tea. Over.

Radovic: Don't worry, I'll lay down a sypressing fire followed up by the almighty Brixta mortar. That'll lay them down. Over.

Radovic: Uh . . . the mortar doesn't seem to be working anymore. It kind of missed and then wouldn't work. Over.

Radovic: Sir? . . . Sir?

Sgt. Marcello: I'm no sir, I work for a living. I'm laying down a smoke barrage so you better move up to the southeast corner. I'll be there with my enginners. Over.

Radovic: The Brits have rallied after our artillery barrage. I'm a little confused about what to do. Where's the Lieutenant? Over

Marcello: I'm right behind you, but this smoke seems to have me rather confused too. Over.

Radovic: A breeze just blew away the smoke. It's not so confused now. There's a British squad manning a heavy machine gun right in front of us. Over.

Marcello: Okay, I'm throwing a satchel charge into that foxhole, so you lay down some fire. Over.

Radovic: We've taken out the squad! and that's one big beautiful heavy machine gun just sitting there. Over.

Marcello: Take that position. Over.

Radovic: I thought you were going to take it. Over.

Marcello: Too late! The Brits took the machine gun back and are firing at us. It's a good thing we have our own heavy machine gun with weapons team coming in to re-enforce us up in the northwest corner of the map, while we are here in the southeast. Move in the rest of the squads. We're going to have to do this the hard way. Over.

Radovic: It seems my men have stumbled into some barb wire. The rest of them are firing on orders though. Over.

Marcello: Okay, the machine gun nest is empty! Take it Radovic! Over.

Radovic: Uh . . . seems like there's a lone man in the nest and he's firing away at our unit in the barb wire. Over.

Marcello: Alright, my engineers just took out that lunatic, but the machine gun is ruined. Oh no! here come the British! They've taken out my engineers. Over.

Radovic: Hmmmmmm . . . The sun is setting. Maybe we should call it a day. Over.

Marcello: Despite having not capturing even so much as a foxhole, I'm going to have to agree. Let's go home. Over.

Both matches were great with some intense fighting, amidst the blunders that occassionaly make those little cardboard counters behave in a very human way. After having played all the Scenarios in Combat Commander Europe and Mediterranean, it's now time to open up Battle Pack #1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - #24 does seem very prone to that sort of weird event/card-draw play. Our play of it saw Time be drawn as a response to the very first card play! So, smoke came up very soon.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ccarlet1, it sounds as though you MAY think that weapons remain in the hex when the unit carrying them is eliminated. They actually go to the eliminated box. If you already know this and I have misinterpreted your post, please forgive me.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did have it wrong. I had read the rule about voluntarily eliminating a weapon at any time as meaning it could remain on the hex or not. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the write up!! Very funny stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.