Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke Skywalker: "I think those new droids are going to work out fine."
My gamer buddy Greg bought RoboRally as a Valentine’s Day gift for his gamer wife Jennifer. My gamer wife Heather and I were lucky to help them open the box and play. Greg and Jennifer had both played it before. It was a first time for Heather and me and also for our friend Darren who joined us.

Han Solo: "Here's where the fun begins!"
It was already late when we started RoboRally after some other games and some breaks to watch Olympic events, so Greg set up an easy scenario for us using the "Spin Zone" board and three flags to reach.

Stormtrooper: "Look, sir: Droids."
Heather read us the bot personalities and we choose our bots. Jennifer and Greg choose their favorites, Squash Bot and Twonky, respectively. Heather went for the contented Spin Bot. I grabbed Hammer Bot since I’m a drummer. Darren gladly scooped up Twitch.

General Dodonna: "The approach will not be easy. You are required to maneuver ... to this point. The target area is only two meters wide."
After a quick overview of the rules we were ready to begin.

Governor Tarkin: "This had better work."
Having understood the concept, but not being completely familiar with the range of Action Cards that were available, I assumed that the first action for many of the bots would be to move forward one space. With the bots all starting in a line, I assumed this would be followed by many bots turning either left or right and firing their lasers at one another. Because my Hammer Bot was on the end of the line and since I wanted to avoid being in the fray, I decided to "Back Up" and then attempt to scoot around the outside of the board.

Luke: "This R2 unit has a bad motivator. Look!"
Since the largest movement card that I was dealt on the first turn was a "Move 1" card, ...

C-3PO: "Where are you going?"
...I was surprised that Squash Bot and Twonky, the experienced bots, immediately leapt forward 2 and 3 spots, respectively.

Han Solo: "I know what I'm doin'."
At the end of the first turn and five actions each, Squash Bot (Jennifer) and Twonky (Greg) were well on their way to the first flag; ...

Han Solo: "It'll take a few moments to get the coordinates from the navi-computer."
...Spin Bot (Heather) and Twitch (Darren) were learning the ropes as they struggled forward; ...

Luke: "It looks like I'm going nowhere."
...and my Hammer Bot (Bob) was deftly and uselessly hiding in the corner.

Obi-Wan: "The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly."
In the next couple turns, the leaders Squash Bot and Twonky got caught up in the conveyor belts with less than ideal card options; ...

C-3PO: "We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life."
...Spin Bot made a programming error and got stuck in one of the board’s laser beams; ...

Han Solo: "And hope they don't have blasters."
...nearly everyone started taking random laser damage; ...

Gold Five: "Stay on target!"
...and my Hammer Bot finally made it out of the pits one space at a time and onto the main playing board!

Han Solo: "I know a few maneuvers."
Twonky was the first to make it to the first flag.

Obi-Wan: "Oh don't worry, he'll be alright."
Twitch had gone wandering on a conveyor belt and then managed to find a repair bay.

Luke: "I'll be careful."
My Hammer Bot took advantage of the spreading of the fleet and went for an assault up the middle towards the first flag.

Luke: "I have a very bad feeling about this."
Soon my Hammer Bot found itself on a Gear just three short spaces away from the first flag, yet facing away from the flag back toward the beginning. My next draw of 8 cards included the following: Move 3, Move 3, Move 2, Move 2, Move 2, Move 2, Move 1, and Back Up.

Han Solo: "This is not going to work."
The hand didn’t have a single rotate card! This would have been more than enough to shoot Hammer Bot across the board, through the pits, and off the edge to his doom.

Princess Leia: "It's a wonder you're still alive."
However, by first playing the Back Up card and then the Move 1 card, Hammer Bot ended up back on the Gear, which rotated him to the left. Then his cards rocketed him along an Express Conveyor Belt toward a side wall that he smashed into ...

Han Solo: "I'm not going anywhere."
...more than once.

Han Solo: "I'm going to have to shut down."
Squash Bot and Spin Bot had both taken excessive damage by this time and had needed to reboot with a Power Down.

Luke: "You know that little droid is going to cause me a lot of trouble."
Spin Bot was sitting on a Gear firing lasers in every direction [EDIT: or so I thought] while powered down, but Hammer Bot snuck past on an Express Conveyor Belt.

C-3PO: "He made a fair move. Screaming about it can't help you."
Squash Bot managed to sit on a special repair bay and acquired the double-shot laser card, which was bad news for the other bots.

Princess Leia: "You came in here; didn't you have a plan for getting out?"
Twitch managed to back into an alley next to the second flag. Unfortunately Squash Bot turned into the alley with her double lasers and Twonky was there as well on the second flag.

Uncle Owen: "Hey, what are you trying to push on us?"
Twitch was then pushed and after making his programmed rotation ...

Gold Leader: "It's no good; I can't maneuver!"
…was stuck moving into a wall.

C-3PO: "We're doomed."
With Squash Bot approaching with two guns blazing and Twonky still there on the other side of Twitch, the almost healthy Twitch got blasted into oblivion in a single round.

Luke: "This is Red Five; I'm going in!"
Meanwhile, knowing it was dangerous, my Hammer Bot followed the gun-slinging Squash Bot into the same corridor toward the second flag.

Gold Five: "It came from... behind!"
Hammer Bot gave Squash Bot several hits to the back, ...

C-3PO: "I'm going to regret this."
...and, as expected, once Squash Bot made it to the flag she turned completely around. Hammer Bot started getting hammered in the face, but he made it to the second flag after Squash Bot side-stepped.

Han Solo: "I told you I'd outrun 'em."
Maintaining his lead, Twonky had been the first bot to the second flag, ...

Princess Leia: "Into the garbage chute, flyboy."
...but shortly after reaching it he was pushed and his programming took him off the side of the board.

Luke: "Hey, whoa, just where do you think you're going?"
Around this time Twitch’s programmer, Darren, announced that he needed to head to bed so he could switch the focus of his aptitude for guidance to his son in the morning.

Luke: "I've never seen such devotion in a droid before."
All bots had made it to the first flag and most had made it to the second flag.

Han Solo: "Now let's blow this thing and go home!"
Squash Bot (Jennifer) and Hammer Bot (Bob) shared the victory since they had tied for flags reached, lives left, and levels of damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wendt
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done, "Hammer Bot"! Don't forget the quote from Twonky's programmer upon realizing that Twitch would be a laser sandwich, "HA HA HA HA HA... (continuing until breathless)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wendt
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, this was the game in which one fine gamer (Squash Bot's programmer) offered the quote, "This is the no-points-for-stupidity game of champions!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:

Luke: "You know that little droid is going to cause me a lot of trouble."
Spin Bot was sitting on a Gear firing lasers in every direction [EDIT: or so I thought] while powered down, but Hammer Bot snuck past on an Express Conveyor Belt.

Funny, I didn't think powered-down robots shot anybody with their lasers, but now I see the rules don't say that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I wouldn't have thought they would shoot either. Shut down seems pretty definitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct: bots that are powered down don't shoot their lasers. Since it was my first time playing, my brain failed to factor that obvious fact into the play. Hence, the edit in the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.