GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,342 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game to get family started? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George L.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hi all, I've just recently been introdiced into the massive world of "real" board games by a friend, and now want to get the family involved. My father and I are very much strategy oriented, while mom and little sis are easily confused, to put in nicely. I'm specifically looking for something fairly simple but still loaded with strategy, can still be just as fun with 2 players, not at all language dependant, and near universal appeal. Any recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With my girlfriend and our 9 year old, Talisman is a big hit http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27627/talisman-4th-ed... . Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out the pretty link system here. I used Strange Eons to make our daughter a lopsided fairy card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game that we got started on as a family was Carcassonne so I would say that is worth looking at. Since then we've played several different games as a family including Catan and Ticket to Ride. The geeklist [geeklist=42454][/geeklist] has these and many other lighter games so you may want to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Salazar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Carcassonne to me seems to fit that description. Super easy to learn but when u use the farmers gives it a good bit of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Morehead City
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza (card game), Carcassonne (tile game), Ingenious (abstract). These are all good for 2 or more players, easy to learn, not language dependant and still have a fair amount of strategy. If you were to only get 1 of those three I would go with carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Bohnanza was one of our first family games as well but it really is for 3 or more players. There is a 2 player variant but it is not my favorite 2 player game. Carcassonne works much better for 2, I find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, sorry, I missed all your criteria blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Another vote for Ticket to Ride. Very intuitive rules and appealing to new gamers.

Carcassonne is also a good bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much recommending Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne. Both have been hits with my family, and both meet your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Yates
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
georgewuzheer wrote:
Hi all, I've just recently been introdiced into the massive world of "real" board games

Freudian slip there George?

Welcome anyway. I tend not to tread too heavily in the areas of complex strategy but (based on being in a similar situation to yourself) my recommendations would be:

Stone Age - which can be played 2-4. Beautiful components and artwork. Not heavy on strategy but your Dad and your sister should be able to find common ground.

Alhambra - I was in a similar situation to you with my Mum and my brother and my thinking of what games they would like. My Mum is a Scrabble/Bridge fan and none of my games were that well received - until we played this.

Zooloretto - not 2 player, to be fair, but this game has been the most singly best received amongst my friends who don't usually play boardgames. In fact I'm probably responsible for a sales spike around the York area as people play it, love it and buy it. Again, it's not overburdened with heavy strategy but it's subtle and clever and it has baby pandas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is a good recommendation although might I suggest that if you go for Carc you get Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers. It's a better game than basic Carc although doesn't have the option of all of the expansions that are available for basic Carc. On the other hand you have a better game without having to buy expansions, so swings and roundabouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Flesch
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote goes for either Carcassone or Settlers of Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
androidlove wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out the pretty link system here.

Off topic, but if you click on "quote" in someone's post, you can see how they made their links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have gotten many good suggestions, but I would vote against Ticket To Ride, twice if I could. Perhaps it's my own opinion bleeding through too much. Aside from some nice components, I find it no different than any off the shelf department store game, and wouldn't call it "loaded with strategy."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be a little light for what you and your dad are looking for, but I think Tsuro would be a great start for your mom and sister.

It plays 2-8 players, not language dependent (once everyone understands the fairly simple rules), quick to play (15-20 min, again, once everyone knows the rules), and can be strategic (it's a tile-laying game and at times you can affect your opponents when you place a tile).

Check it out and see what you think. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
In order of my own rating I've selected what I'd consider to be starter games that are also pretty much language independent...

Acquire - basic economic majority stock buying
Ra - auction game weighing risk and reward
Bohnanza - 100% interaction in trading
Cash-a-Catch - really fun auction game with a bell
Catan - basic starter euro, really opens up future playing options
Blockers! - great abstract strategy, simple and inexpensive
Wasabi! - competing sous chefs making recipes by playing food down on sushi matts
Ticket to Ride: Europe - if you're going ticket to ride I recommend this version over original
Carcassonne - base game is a little bland but if it hooks the mom and sis there are a few expansions I'd recommend
TransAmerica - quick and easy to learn train game

Quick Easy Card Games
Loot
Coloretto
Mamma Mia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settelers of Catan (maybe not great as a 2 player)
Carcassonne
Finca is a great game as 2 player and still good with 3-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Taylor
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Carcassonne family is a great place to begin, but I would suggest looking at Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers rather than vanilla Carcassonne, at I find it far more accessible. The scoring is simpler and more intuitive, and I've enjoyed it with my (precocious) 5yo nephew, my teen aged children, and other non-gamer adults. Easy to teach, but fun for me too, as there's lots of opportunity for smart play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure there's a game that will help you get a family started. You'll probably have to meet a girl, get married, and go about it the usual way.

Don't be in too much of a hurry, though. Enjoy your youth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Keech
United States
Brentwood
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
georgewuzheer wrote:
I'm specifically looking for something fairly simple but still loaded with strategy, can still be just as fun with 2 players, not at all language dependant, and near universal appeal.

Trying to think outside of the box here. (I know, theres a joke in there somewhere.)

The following games meet your first three criteria. Your 4th critera "universal appeal" is a bit too subjective I'm afraid. (I think the only game that would fit that one would be one that spits real money at you every time you look at it.)

Cityscape City building game using wooden blocks and dice.
King of the Elves This one may be out of print but it's fairly easy to find online.
Blokus or Blokus Trigon Both good choices but I personally prefer the Trigon version.
Aquädukt Invest in a new 20 sided die if you play this one. Many here have complained about the one that comes with the game.
Café International: Das Kartenspiel Dont let the word "Kartenspiel" scare you away from this one. There is no card text but you may need to download an English translation of the rules.
TransAmerica The only words in this game are the city names on the cards.

Good luck and welcome to the world of boardgaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hebert
Canada
Vercheres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lost Cities is a card game for 2 player that my wife and I really enjoy even if she is not into boardgames. Its played in 20min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started them with Carcassone and it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We find that "Settlers of Catan" is a great game that even appeals to many diferent people, even those who aren't big gamers. It's relatively easy to get into, with a bit of work setting up the game board map, since you basically customize the board each time you play.

I would suggest picking up the basic game and trying it out.

I've since picked up the expansion 'Seafarers' and 'Cities and Knights', and we've have had some great fun in the giant Catan maps (game board) we are able to build with all both of those expansions and all of the associated 5-6 player extension packs.

I'm a sci-fi nut, so I'm now looking into getting "Twighlight Imperium 3", which strikes me as being a bit like "Settler of Catan", but in space. The games are really very different, but I see some similarities, just in the bit of pre-purchase research I've done so far.

Leif

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in your postion before, you really need two games mate. One for you and your dad and one for the family. But to answer your question -

Ticket to Ride with Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 or Ticket to Ride: Europe

Acquire, The 1999 Avalon Hill version is my favourite.

Ingenious and Wizard are both good (you can make wizard yourself from a standard deck of cards).

But if I were you I'd definitely go for Dog. I've had more fun out of this family game than all others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.