Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, All! I took a shot at getting into tonight's Battles of the American Revolution demo via GMT and VASSAL. I got on early in the hope that I could figure out the technical end and get on without too many problems...

I DID get connected to Ventrilo and was able to listen AND talk! (Well, I THINK I was talking!) I seemed to run into issues either with VASSAL itself or with the module.

The guys on-line were VERY nice and quite newbie-friendly. I heard their instructions, but found myself quite unable to follow them.

Could someone point me to a newbie guide to all of this? I signed out of this evening's demo after several tries as it became clear it just wasn't going to be my night. soblue Any help would be much appreciated!

AND here's hoping for a FUTURE demo of this series that I'll actually be able to access!!! THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a page with info on getting started with VASSAL:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/rvj7r

I don't know anything about the game you are trying to play, but I think it's generally a good idea to try a simple module to get the hang of how VASSAL works. The Memoir '44 module is good for this, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more recommendations for you:

Check out the following GeekList:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/23350/the-boardgamegee...-
Use it to find someone to arrange to play a game with on VASSAL.

Also, it's good to have a backup method of communication in case you and your opponent aren't able to use VASSAL's chat window or your phone program. My friend and I use Yahoo Messenger, and it has made things easier for us a number of times when we couldn't figure things out in VASSAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to be running into problems when it comes to actually downloading the modules! Earlier, someone mentioned running the demo/tour module. I've downloaded VASSAL, but I can't seem to locate that tour module. Frustration is setting in. yuk I'm sure it's some small, stupid thing I'm missing.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan

When I first downloaded and installed Vassal, I too looked for the tour demo. When I found it and played it, I was dubious about its merits.

If playing a game using the Vassal modules is what you are after, then download the module from the Vassal site, open it in Vassal and then just investigate the menus ... charts, tables, counters etc.

Drag the counters and markers etc. to place them on the board and generally, right clicking on the counters will bring up a menu which gives you the options for the units, chits, markers etc.

The demo I viewed doesn't go much beyond that described above.

Play with it and I'm sure you'll soon get up to speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is VASSAL... being newer to the scene I must admit I thought it was some kind of online pet project started by Tom Vasel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL is a program that you use to load modules from the Vassal site.

Basically, a module is an electronic on-screen version of a game - it generally has the game map, counters, markers, charts and tables - and you play it on-screen (either solo or across the internet with an opponent(s)).

Try it at www.vassalengine.org - it's great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
What Doug said! Vassal is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
VASSAL is a program that you use to load modules from the Vassal site.

Basically, a module is an electronic on-screen version of a game - it generally has the game map, counters, markers, charts and tables - and you play it on-screen (either solo or across the internet with an opponent(s)).

Try it at www.vassalengine.org - it's great!

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang in there Dan and follow the links people have already provided. Vassal really isn't too difficult, and once you get the hang of it you'll wonder what you found so difficult. Whenever I'm away on biz I play games with my 13 year old son via Vassal and we've been doing that for the past 2 years. I agree with others that a backup comm/chat program is a good idea - depending on whats worked better from my hotel room I've used any one of a number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL and Skype is a great combination ... if both players have these then you are all set to go.

Works great with a Skype phone ... even better with a Skype-compatible headset.

"Blue Leader ... this is Red Dog ... you sure that move is in the rules?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
I seem to be running into problems when it comes to actually downloading the modules! Earlier, someone mentioned running the demo/tour module. I've downloaded VASSAL, but I can't seem to locate that tour module. Frustration is setting in. yuk I'm sure it's some small, stupid thing I'm missing.

Thanks for the help!

Okay, a couple of questions:

1) You can run the Vassal program itself?
[If yes, look for an entry in the menus for 'Take the tour'.]

2) Are you on a Mac?
[Macs can have problems with automatically decompressing modules (which are really just archive packages), which makes them unusable for Vassal.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
I seem to be running into problems when it comes to actually downloading the modules! Earlier, someone mentioned running the demo/tour module. I've downloaded VASSAL, but I can't seem to locate that tour module.

If VASSAL installed properly, you already have the Tour module. It is in the VASSAL\doc directory (filename: tour.mod).

But you don't need to know where it is, because as the previous poster indicated, you launch the Tour by selecting the Take the tour option in VASSAL's Help menu. Also, I'd recommend perusing the User's Guide, which is also a choice in the Help menu--selecting it should open a 24 page PDF document.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Tahzoo wrote:
Hi Dan -

Also, as I see you are a fan of CC:A, you should try that module. It's quite simple and there is a big, active community of players for CC:A on VASSAL:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccavassal/

I'll play you some night if you want, send me a message if you do.

Best of luck!

I'd second this recommendation. You won't find a friendlier, more helpful community of gamers than the CCA Vassal players. Subscribe to the yahoogroup and there will be plenty of people to help get you up and running......me if I'm on but my time zone may be an issue for you.

I don't have a lot of experience with other Vassal modules but the CCA one is particularly simple and user friendly.....I love that you can see the whole map and other game elements on the screen at the same time. An excellent module to start with.....and an excellent game in its own right. I learned to play CCA on the table.....I learned to play it to its potential and fully appreciate its quality on Vassal.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
yosemite wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Okay, a couple of questions:

1) You can run the Vassal program itself?
[If yes, look for an entry in the menus for 'Take the tour'.]

2) Are you on a Mac?
[Macs can have problems with automatically decompressing modules (which are really just archive packages), which makes them unusable for Vassal.]

Yeah, VASSAL itself seemed to come up with no problems. I'll take another look for that menu entry for the tour. *Edit...forgot to mention-I'm NOT on a Mac!*

And thanks to EVERYONE for all the encouragement! Being an oldster, I sometimes lack patience when encountering "technical difficulties"... shake

I appreciate all the suggestions! I'll definitely check out the C&C:A module sometime soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Tahzoo wrote:
Hi Dan -

Here is another place to start:
http://tnfc.blogspot.com/2008/05/what-is-vassal-and-how-do-i...

Not sure if you are into Manoeuvre or not, but this should teach you the basics.

Also, as I see you are a fan of CC:A, you should try that module. It's quite simple and there is a big, active community of players for CC:A on VASSAL:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccavassal/

I'll play you some night if you want, send me a message if you do.

Best of luck!

Thanks, Dan! I DO play Manoeuvre (though I hate SPELLING it!), so I'll look into that. CC:A sounds like a good bet as well.

I WILL master this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.