Popular Tags: [View All]
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ended a 4 player session of Runewars that ended in a surprise victory for me.

We had 4 pretty seasoned gamers Justin, Vicky, Dave and myself.

After initial setup and preparation we have Justin as the Evil Undead, Vicky the Humans, Dave the Uthuk and, myself as the Elves.

Using all but the 8 tile we had a pretty standard map but upon closer examination there were some serious bottlenecks. These mostly hindered the Uthuk, as he faced not only some serious mountains and bodies of water but also had some pretty heavy clumps of neutrals.

Also unfortunately, my quests were on the other sides of the map due to a 180 degree rotation of positions when Justin decided he liked the side closest to me and I went third so I ended up with his side. I saw what he wanted when he chose as I initially had a pretty decent left and right barrier with a couple of cities pretty close by, but now they belonged to the undead and I was left with a strong right side keeping the Uthuk at bay. The Humans and I stared at each other across a pretty open stretch of ground.

The undead and humans started in on each other pretty early and the cities that Justin wanted seem to also attract Vicky as she pushed her humans of to her left toward his front.

Dave pushed his Uthuk hard out of the gate and a couple of bad fate cards later he was right back where he started with less troops and egg on his face. I on the other hand pushed my hero out and by the end of summer I owned a city two neutral units and my Hero was well on her way to her first quest.

Justin started building up larger and larger armies as he and Vicky wrestled control of areas from each other with the Undead coming out on top most of the time.

By the end of the third year Dave commented that he noticed just how puny his army was in comparison to the Humans and Undead. They had concentrated on recruiting and trying to gain cities hard which told me that they had to either have hard to achieve quests and needed new ones or they needed the influence perhaps. Either way I was happy they were beating on each other and had not noticed that I had decided to spread myself thin. I worked on getting some heroes to help me and I had three running about, none of whom had accomplished anything but to draw attention to themselves allowing me to get two more runes by spending every influence I had to talk a couple of razor wings into joining the elf cause.

Suddenly the Power for the Pious came up and Justin had no influence. Well we all bid one and forced him to place the runes. Seeing that he had no place to put the runes but one in an are just outside of my home area and another close to Vicky I was trying to contain myself. He did exactly as I expected since he only had one other choice and it was not a good one since it was really hard to get to by his troops.

What he had not anticipated however is that all I needed was Vicky to be angry enough to send her troops after the undead who had just kicked her off a city just two hexes outside of her area.

Please, please, please?

There she goes. Nice. Out of my way and left her rear flank unprotected.

The next turn I strategize. I use mountain pass to move a single elf archer into the human homeland onto one of her evacuated runes, another elf warrior off of a rune onto the rune Justin placed over near me, another to replace that one who just moved, another to replace that one who was sitting on a rune, so on. until I had six. All in all 5 individual moves one hex each from 5 individual elves.

“Sorry folks, I just won." I announce.

I reveal all 6 and all but 1 had 1 elf on it. The chain of elf stealth that was completely unnoticed due to the humans and undead pushing their massive hoards onto each other and poor Dave being beat down by
the giants and dragons who had retreated to form an even more improbable wall of neutrals.

I was happy I won of course but mostly because this was like a good read. The elves seeing that war was building on the western front sent out their best warriors to find the elusive dragon runes. The only hope in saving their precious home from the evil that lay across the land. Using a hidden mountain pass to sneak into the Human land and steal their rune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
A few things here disturb me:

"Also unfortunately, my quests were on the other sides of the map due to a 180 degree rotation of positions when Justin decided he liked the side closest to me and I went third so I ended up with his side. I saw what he wanted when he chose as I initially had a pretty decent left and right barrier with a couple of cities pretty close by, but now they belonged to the undead and I was left with a strong right side keeping the Uthuk at bay."

Why do you think of the area you are standing in front of when you build the map as yours?

"Justin had no influence. Well we all bid one and forced him to place the runes."

Why didn't you bid 0? (assuming he didn't have the primarch of the wizards' council title).

"The next turn I strategize. I use mountain pass to move a single elf archer into the human homeland onto one of her evacuated runes"

Do you mean an area in their home realm? If so, that is not actually allowed by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Homeland is always fair game; always. The only "bonus" to having homeland is that all 3 hexes are considered yours, and friendly, even if you have no unit on them. But, just one unit of any enemy on them, and it's their hex/area now. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
My point was that you cannot strategize into enemy home realms. They are never considered empty, and strategize specifies friendly or empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew is right. You can only Strategize-move into empty or friendly areas. The definition of "Empty" expressly excludes Home Realms.

You can Mobilize or Conquest move into them, but only Strategize-move into a Home Realm if it's your own (and has no enemies, of course), or if it's an enemy's and you have a unit in there to make it friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wardac wrote:
A few things here disturb me:

Why do you think of the area you are standing in front of when you build the map as yours?

I don't. Its just wording. We made the map, once it was done, the player across from me, chose the position closest to me as his starting area.
Placed his home realm.

wardac wrote:
"Justin had no influence. Well we all bid one and forced him to place the runes."

Why didn't you bid 0? (assuming he didn't have the primarch of the wizards' council title).

He did have it so we had to force him into losing. I should have said bid one more.

wardac wrote:
"The next turn I strategize. I use mountain pass to move a single elf archer into the human homeland onto one of her evacuated runes"

Do you mean an area in their home realm? If so, that is not actually allowed by the rules.

DOH!!! Well we all missed that one. Tainted win. Arrgh I hate those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twthomas wrote:

DOH!!! Well we all missed that one. Tainted win. Arrgh I hate those.

Don't we all But we all have them from time to time. Oh well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Double-Doh, "Stra-ti-gize". I did not see that, nor did I ever think about an unocupide homeland as still being "unfriendly" for Stratigize purposes.

Live and Learn, or, in my case, lose and learn. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking back on this, I think I still would have won. Just would have had to conquer the homerealm hex on the next season. Don't think the human player had any idea I was coming through the mountain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
in case you didnt know, moving units into an empty enemy homland is considered a BATTLE, and fate cards are drawn (valuable for necromancers and knights)
So if you mobilized into an empty enemy homeland hex, your extra supremacy move could NOT be a battle.

I have lost too many games because I got spent too much time and energy trying to squash one player's armies, not noticing the sneaky third player who is quietly gathering up all the dragon runes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, this is a recent ruling from Corey (and a reversal, actually, as his previous ruling was that moving into an "empty" enemy home realm with a Conquest or Strategize was not a battle, but now it's more consistent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.