Popular Tags: [View All]
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking my 7 y/o is ready for Heroscape. However, there are so many different sets and expansions now that I'm not sure where to start. Is HeroScape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie the best set for getting started? Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt Rise of the Valkyrie is the best set to start with. It has the most terrain and figures so best value for money. Besides that it has some of the best terrain and figures released to date and is a perfect spectrum representing what the game as a whole has to offer. By contrast the Swarm of the Marro master set has less and less varied terrain (and in my opion less attractive) as well as less, and less varied figures. On the up side it does have common squads which is an element of the game completely missing from the first master set but you will not miss it until you start to expand and when you do there will be plenty of time and opportunity to introduce common squasds. Have fun and welcome to the 'everything in the toybox battle system'!

The next step will be more difficult. If you decide to go deeper then your next purchase will depend on what you want to expand and why. The two best second purchases in my opinion would be; Swarm of the Marro if you want to get some more terrain and a fair amount of new figures. Alsa a great way to introduce common squades which are missing from the origional master set. Or, wave 1 if you are looking for more figures and want to build symetry with your existing set. If you go this route be sure to get at least two coppies of each of the three common packs. Of course you're going to want to get a few road sets soon, and you might as well pick up the new master set to since you have the other two, besides the shadow tiles and treasure glyphs are both neat new game mechanics. Oh, I'd better be quiet now before this gets out of hand and I scare you off...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much, Eric. I showed my son some pictures of the game here on BGG the other day. He hasn't stopped talking about it since. I think he'll love it. I really appreciate your comments. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26370

might help you out.

there's a gallery list linked near the topic of the thread too.

Enjoy

edit

You may find this useful for padding out your collection.

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/auggiesgames/Categories...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotty ~ YES definitely! The "Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set" is the best place to start for every reason that Eric said and then some... in fact I would reccomend you get at least two RotV:MS's before you start collecting any of the expansions (Wave #'s 1 - 10).

To truly experience the Game System as it was intented you need lots of the terrain tiles (as many as you can get your hands on at a reasonable cost - I've even picked one up at a flea market for $5.oo). You can always add heroes and squads a little at a time in the coming months - just type "heroscape" into an eBay search and watch 500+ items pop up. I have my two grandsons (ages 8 & 10) over once a month to play HS and they will spend hours building the "battlefield" landscapes before we actually get to "fight" a couple of battles before bedtime.

WWW-dot-HEROSCAPERS-dot-COM is an *EXCELLENT* resource through which, besides finding downloadable ideas for maps, scenarioes, strategies, etc. you might also locate other HS'ers or events in your area. Welcome to our addiction (haha), don't overspend your budget. But for 12-Step recovery tips seek out the "League of Extraordinary Heroscaping Gentlemen [and Ladies]" forum thread here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Scotty,

I just recently started playing Heroscape a few weeks ago =). I gotta say I am really liking it.

As everyone else has stated, I think the Rise of the Valkyrie master set is definitely the way to go. It is the only set that I have so far (and can afford at the moment), but its great for the value.

I managed to snag it for a good price of the BGG marketplace.

It comes with a ton of terrain in the form of stone, sand, and grass, as well as water tiles and 2 ruin pieces, as well as a nice assortment of special power enchanting glyphs. It also comes with (in my opinion) the coolest figures of all the master sets. They can be broken up into "good guy" and "bad guy" armies as well (based on what general the units follow) if your son would be into that kind of thing.

The rule book comes with easy to understand rules for both the basic and master game, with a ton of pictures/examples explaining different situations. It also comes with instructions on how to build 5 premade maps with different objectives on each. After going through those, there is enough terrain to goof around and experiment with on your own for building battlefields. True its not enough to build tons of large/awesome battlefields, but it is certainly enough to start with, and enough to tell if you and your so will like it enough to sink more money into it =D, and this set alone provides plenty of replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any kids I show the game to love it as do most adult gamers. I even got some non-gamers into the terrain-building as it was like a puzzle to them.

Enjoy!

-Fallow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.