Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously in a two player game, a huge part of the game is knowing what characters your opponent has chosen. In a lot of situations you can usually take a pretty good guess at what they have chosen. However, no one wants to chose the Thief, only to steal from a character not in play that round. Here's an easy way of knowing who they have chosen.

Once you receive the character cards, figure out what is missing. For this to work, the Assassin and Thief must still be in play. Choose the Thief and unless it's your first turn as the King, discard a card (something other than the Assassin). Remember what cards you passed to your opponent! Once you get the cards back, check if the Assassin is there. If not, you will know they are either the Assassin, or whatever else is missing.

How this works:
The King will call for the Assassin to come into play. If your opponent reveals the Assassin card, then this strategy is useless...and good luck with choosing who to steal from!! If the Assassin is not in play, then you know immediately what card they chose, and who to steal from.

This works great if your opponent has a lot of gold at the start of the round, and you know they chose the Magician, as they won't get a chance to spend it. However...this strategy isn't much help if you're trying to steal from the Architect or Warlord.

Despite some of it's flaws, I have still managed to steal a lot of gold using this strategy. Good luck!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Opposing this strategy is:

When you get the cards, check if the Assassin is there, if not then this strategy is useless. If it is then take the Assassin, and discard whatever you don't want your opponent to have.

Once the Assassin is called by the king, you choose to assassinate the Thief, and you are home free. You get two turns, and keep you money. Your opponent only gets one turn.

I've managed to win a lot of 2- & 3-player with this strategy.

Lars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the character cards discarded in the 2p variant are still randomly done so. It sounds like you guys get to choose which card goes out when passing the rest to your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I thought the character cards discarded in the 2p variant are still randomly done so. It sounds like you guys get to choose which card goes out when passing the rest to your opponent.

In the 2 player rules, the king (player 1) randomly picks one to go facedown. Then picks one for himself, passing the remaining 6 to player 2. Player 2 picks one, then picks which one goes facedown, passing the remaining 4 to player 1. Player 1 picks one to keep and one to go facedown, then player 2 picks the last to keep and the last to go down.

So the only random card to go out is the first one by the king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Opposing this strategy is:

When you get the cards, check if the Assassin is there, if not then this strategy is useless. If it is then take the Assassin, and discard whatever you don't want your opponent to have.

Once the Assassin is called by the king, you choose to assassinate the Thief, and you are home free. You get two turns, and keep you money. Your opponent only gets one turn.

I've managed to win a lot of 2- & 3-player with this strategy.

Lars

Ok, I've only played this game once, so I am obviously still learning strats. That is one that works pretty easily.

Could another counter strategy be take something else and discard the assassin. Great they know what you have. On the next pull take something with a lower initiative and simply spend all your gold on the first characters turn. They could counter by taking the closest one that is lower that what you chose, but then you could just take the one lower. So taking all that into account and what you believe the other player would do you could even force them to take something that wouldn't be useful to them. Of course this would depend on how your opponent plays and thinks that you play etc.

Man this game seems really fun. As a former poker player I can really get into it. A lot of 3rd level thinking of "what would they think I would do", "what would they think that I think etc".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP assumes 1st player did not choose Assassin or Thief; 2nd player chooses Thief; 1st player chooses or discards Assassin on second draw. In this scenario, 2nd player knows 1st player has 50% chance of having drawn Assassin on second draw, and so if Assassin is not played, 2nd player has 100% chance of knowing what 1st player drew on second draw and can steal from that character.

Lars notes that to counter this, 1st player, once he sees Thief is missing but 2nd player has left him Assassin to choose in second draw, can simply choose Assassin and then assassinate Thief.

Consider this modification to OP's scenario. 2nd player gets first pass and sees Assassin is missing, along with one other character, not Thief. There is a 50% chance that 1st player selected the Assassin randomly to go facedown, and therefore has no opportunity to assassinate Thief. Choose Thief, and discard what would appear to be your optimal draw based on the information available to your opponent. If 1st player doesn't have Assassin, you're home free and can steal from the other, known character he must have. If he has Assassin, he has a difficult choice of whom to assassinate. And either way your second draw is not likely to be assassinated.

To thwart this, however, all the 1st player needs to do (if he doesn't have the Assassin) is spend the money before the thefted-from character's turn. This means that if you pass one or more cards in earlier turn order than the one missing card from 1st player's first draw, then 1st player can just choose one of those for insurance. So in practice, if the missing card is not the Magician or King, you cannot guarantee you will be able to steal from that character. (If Magician is missing, you're fine; if King is missing, you must discard Magician, which will probably disrupt the discard-apparent-optimal-draw move above. If Bishop or higher are missing, if you select Thief then you must pass at least one card in earlier draw order than the missing card.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.