Time's Up! Title Recall!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discussion between turns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if partners are allowed to discuss the missed items between their turns. For example, to tell the other the titles he/she missed the last turn, or pin down what keywords or actions will be used to 'signal' the different titles next turn.

I typically play so with non-gamers to avoid the frustration having stuck on tougher titles but it does make the game much easier.

Just wondering if there are official rules for this? If not, what do you guys usually play with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soojin wrote:
I'm wondering if partners are allowed to discuss the missed items between their turns. For example, to tell the other the titles he/she missed the last turn, or pin down what keywords or actions will be used to 'signal' the different titles next turn.

In answer to the first part of the question we consider it fairplay not to discuss what was missed - those that are missed are not discussed - ever.

For the other ones that we did get we would not want to discuss keywords or signals because the other teams will steal them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Greg on this one. I think you lose some of the fun of the game if you reveal information between turns. Some of the funniest moments we've had playing the various Time's Ups occur when partner A tries to give a great clue that partner B doesn't get, then on a subsequent turn tries it again and fails, then later partner B gets the card and suddenly realizes what partner A had been doing all along.

I really really really wish I had a video of the time my friends Andrew and Trevor were partners, we were in the third round, and Andrew got the Toucan Sam card. He mimed the beak by putting his hand over his nose and pulling forward, tried it again, eventually tried to get some flapping wings into the mix. Trevor wasn't getting, though clearly the rest of the table understood. Andrew went through this a second time, with not better look. Later, Trevor's turn... "ohhhhh" . Andrew gives the answer.

All that to say, I would strongly discourage revealing info because I think the game is less fun without the joy (and occasional frustration) of discovery you get from figuring out the clues. However, if your group really has a hard time giving/understanding clues and gets frustrated so they're not enjoying the game, and it would be more fun for you all with more table talk...who am I to tell you not to?

I think "officially", you're not supposed to discuss the answers or the clues, aside from a rereading of all the cards after the first round is completed, but again, if you're playing Time's Up and people are getting frustrated instead of having fun, use whatever rule changes you need to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
No discussion about clues or answers at all between turns. This means you can't reveal what the answers were, you can't discuss what gesture you will use next time, and you can't talk about what you would do different in the future. If you allow any of this, then the fun of the game will be ruined for all those involved. And, of course, why would you want to discuss it because then your opponents could steal your clues and take the points from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no, no. No between turn discussion about correct or incorrect answers. For correct ones, it's certainly on the cusp of cheating (for future rounds). For missed answers it is BLATANT cheating.

Part of the game is the memory aspect. "Oh, I now see what my partner was trying to do before, so I'll just do his clue and he'll remember." A lot of people concentrate only on the "knowledge" side of this game--knowing more pop culture than others. But the best players I've ever seen know nearly nothing about celebrities (some of them don't even own a TV and never go to movies and are non-sports fans). Yet, due to the fact that they pay attention, they do very well in the game by using the other half of their tool kit--memory and logic. If you let players cheat, you take away that tool set from the players who don't know who the hell Dirk Nowenski or Jenny Sanford or Kiefer Sutherland are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.