Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Q:When I say "lawyer" what pops into your head? A:Someone who designs games about penguins." - Dormammu
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long-time Martin Wallace fan, I was quite happy with Steam Barons, with the one exception of the wonky random order rule (as others have noticed - http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/478524/random-order-of-play-....) MW's response made sense, but still was not completely fulfilling - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4272446#427244.

The variant I have in mind is simply a cross between total randomness and complete predictability: Just group the six companies into 2 groups, based on this turn's performance. In case of a tie (there will be several), the company with the highest share "wins" the tie. If there is still a tie (a definite possibility), then just randomize.

Once you have two groups, randomize each group, such that the three companies that performed worse this turn will move first next turn, in random order. Then buy stock for the current round.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like it may try this next time and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Pruitt
United States
waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea with one exception. I'm wondering if it would be better to group the top three and bottom three companies according to share price instead of current performance?

I think that share price is a bit tougher to manipulate than performance. Pinning turn order to share price may lead to fewer instances of bizarre behavior during the ship goods phase.

I will give this a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Southerland
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one ever replied as to how these alternate rules attempts worked. Did you think it worked better this way? About to get this on the table tomorrow night for the first time in many years and upon reviewing the rules the random turn order jumped out at me as pretty strange. Looking up on the geek I found your response but no review of the results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bellor Vargath
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crowmagnumb wrote:
No one ever replied as to how these alternate rules attempts worked. Did you think it worked better this way? About to get this on the table tomorrow night for the first time in many years and upon reviewing the rules the random turn order jumped out at me as pretty strange. Looking up on the geek I found your response but no review of the results!

Just wondering if you ended up trying this variant and your opinion of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the other thread:
Frog1 wrote:
Nice review. Glad you enjoyed the 2p rules.

In earlier versions of the game the order of player was determined by company performance. This led to two problems, a) companies deliberately underperforming to guarantee first place in the ensuing order of play, and b) perfect information aboutthe performance potential for the following turn. This made the game far too dry. In reality stocks are not predictable, otherwise some brokers would be a lot richer than they already are. All you can do is invest in companies where turn order is not so crucial, or you can take a chance.

Martin

I sure would like to know what the rules were for company performance turn order? Just in order of performance (best to worst) during the round? I would rather give the "far too dry" game a try rather than give the "random order nonsense" game another try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no one that have replied too this variant? ^_^

Just played the game today and it was a great experience.

Winner had 88p and second had 84, other were about 40, 30 and 25.

One player did not like the random turn order, I dident think it was too bad.

But would be fun to see what other people say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.