BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Board game equivalent of computer game Counter-strike? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Capn Stoobie
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a board game (or card game) equivalent of the PC computer "Counter-strike"? This is the game where a squad of counter-terrorists attempt to stop a small group of terrorists from planting a bomb, played in a small map area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Not exactly, but some that are close. Frag by Steve Jackson Games is an attempt to capture the first person shooter multiplayer experience in a board game, but it uses Quake 3: Arena as a model. Tannhauser is an alternate history WWII game which plays out like a Wolfenstein team deathmatch. They are very different, but they might capture what you're looking for. I hope you like dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frag is the obvious answer.

Space Hulk is also similar to a corridor shooter (Doom, Quake) and has objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Space Hulk would also work if you can find a copy. And if you do, tell me where.

And of course, how stupid of me not to suggest Doom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capn Stoobie
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny that Space Hulk was mentioned, as I recently bought the new 3rd edition from ebay (yet to play it yet though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capnstoobie wrote:
Funny that Space Hulk was mentioned, as I recently bought the new 3rd edition from ebay (yet to play it yet though).

Ah, Ebay. Why didn't I think of that? Yeah, give that a try and see if it scratches the itch. If not, message me and maybe we can work out a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capn Stoobie
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
capnstoobie wrote:

Ah, Ebay. Why didn't I think of that? Yeah, give that a try and see if it scratches the itch. If not, message me and maybe we can work out a deal.

I noticed Amazon has 3 copies of Space Hulk in stock (new)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thyme Ludwig
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoever mentioned Tannhäuser was on the right idea, with a squad based combat game. A note though, they mentioned that it was Team Deathmatch style. While true, it is also worth noting that there are three other game modes, with Capture The Flag and an Objective based mode also provided for, along with a storyline scenario mode. The Objective mode actually reminds me somewhat of Counter-Strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capn Stoobie
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halo ActionClix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capnstoobie wrote:
TwentySides wrote:
capnstoobie wrote:

I noticed Amazon has 3 copies of Space Hulk in stock (new)...

From a 3rd party retailer, for $160.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you count as "equivalent".

I don't see any boardgame as being remotely equivalent to a First Person Shooter that supports 32 players and features player elimination, that supports with physics, that gives top prize to twitch reflexes and excellent hand-eye coordination, all taking place in a relatively wide-open world where rounds last just a few minutes and you have limited intel about the locations of both teammates and enemies.

If by "equivalent" you mean "a tactical game where two sides fight it out with modern-ish and generally equivalent weaponry" then yes there are a quite a few systems. You could take a look at these geeklists for a starting place

Insurgency and terrorism
[geeklist=11757][/geeklist]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if you don't mind a little DIY, you can try Modern Ops, which uses the free Savage Worlds Showdown miniatures rules. It's fast and light compared to something like Warhammer 40k, and you could do terrorists vs. counterterrorists quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Medvedev
msg tools
Phoenix Command (and supplements)

Have a luck in finding players,though
(not speaking about game itself)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you're looking for specific elements of Counter-Strike (such as bomb/defuse), I don't think that there is anything close.

I did once come up with an idea that was a bit of a strange hybrid of Frag, Fudge Firefight (2 part article at fidgefactor.org) and The Rules With No Name (a few years before the book).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Pavone
United States
Ruby
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader.

Or you can do like my friends and I did in high school and modify the Car Wars pedestrian rules for such a thing.

Or you could try Firefight by Alternative Armies.

In fact, you could use any squad based miniatures game with a few changes to fit your needs/wants.

Oh yeah, forgot this one. Revised Recon by Palladium. It's more of an RPG but it is pretty simple and describes rules for modern combat with guerrillas, terrorists, special ops teams, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firepower. Much more so than Advanced Squad Leader. Individual soldiers with guns modeled after the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frag is fast and dirty, but is based on FFA deathmatch. Lots of people make custom rules to emulate other games though.

Tannhauser might also work, though I'm not personally familiar.

Space Hulk is an interesting suggestion, and not one I would have thought of. It's an entirely different beast, but still a good game.

Doom is like a less heavy Space Hulk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Okko: Era of the Asagiri as well. I have not played this game but it gets a lot of positive comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.