BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Can anyone help me identify a type of Ultra Pro sleeve? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a soft sleeve that has a little circular sticker at the bottom of one corner that's holographic and says "Ultra Pro"

A friend of mine said her sister bought them at Target.. but I don't see them there..

Thanks for any help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are just the standard Ultra Pro Deck Protectors. They come in packs of 50 or boxes of 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks

It's weird, UltraPro.com doesn't list regular deck protectors (just plain protectors .. without designs)

I guess I need to hunt more. I'm just looking for the plain ones that are better than their penny sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kuha
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I can tell we are going to be mortal enemies.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of clear dragon sleeves. Even when they're just a little on the big side, they are still functional since they are also very stiff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeLeRee
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what are you looking to sleeve? Fantasy Flight makes their own card sleeves for their boardgame cards. I've used Ultra Pro for my Magic cards for a decade and a half now. They're my favorite. And the new ones with a matte finish on the back makes for easy shuffling. But I will say that Dragon Shield isn't as terrible choice.
You could always do a search online for card sleeves. I know that TrollandToad.com has huge selection of sleeves at varying prices/quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric and Jeff

I'm not actually looking to sleeve as much as stock up right now.

I used some penny sleeves from one of the bigger companies here and they broke way too quickly.Also, some of the sleeves were mis-cut, so i Had to toss them (think tangents)

I also used to use to play magic over 15 years ago and used the sleeves I've described. I love them to death and they held up very well.

The online selection can be quite daunting because you can't feel/see them in person.

A friend of mine surprised me recently when she brought out her Citadels game (which i got her into ...yay! another geek!) and had these exact sleeves that I just can't find...

I've tried my local comics shop.. only penny sleeves.. walmart and target had some of those yugioh sleeves with designs on the back..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thyme Ludwig
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best of the ultra-pro are these here:
(the matte finish ones mentioned by someone else)

UltraPRO Deck Protectors
Standard Solid
Stock #W-81796
50 sleeves per pack
They come in many colors
(yellow,orange,red,black,light green,green,light blue,blue,pink,and white!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolstuffinc carries them - they can be found here:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_searchResults.php?search_te...

edit: here's a picture (sorry about the quality) of the type from coolstuffinc - I think it's the kind you're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do any of these types come with a clear back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coolstuff has the Ultra Pro sleeves that are completely clear. The back isn't textured like the sleeves with a colored backing, it's just like the front but without the small circular hologram. They're similar to the Fantasy Flight clear sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ranoobu wrote:
Do any of these types come with a clear back?

Did you look at the coolstuff link? It's listed right there. "Ultra Pro Sleeves - 100 count - Clear". I own 800 of these sleeves and they seem to be exactly what you are looking for. You need not look any further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did check, I can't see the little circular sticker on them though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thyme Ludwig
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

UltraPro stopped putting the foil dot on their clear sleeves after people started cheating at MTG tourneys by sleeving some cards backwards(dot out)and other cards normal(dot in) so they could know when certain cards were coming up. Because the dot was so small and the whole surface shiny, it was hard for anyone to notice and catch them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish. All of the Ultra-Pro clear sleeves I have bought over the past year have the stupid hologram. It's the only complaint I have ever had of their sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that any clear sleeves at a sanctioned tournament would be suspect. Matte, opaque-backed sleeves are the only acceptable type. If a player had clear sleeves with a hologram, they would be immediately forced to replace their sleeves if another player complained to a judge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
madking2 wrote:
Quote:

:D

UltraPro stopped putting the foil dot on their clear sleeves after people started cheating at MTG tourneys by sleeving some cards backwards(dot out)and other cards normal(dot in) so they could know when certain cards were coming up. Because the dot was so small and the whole surface shiny, it was hard for anyone to notice and catch them.

That's really interesting to know.. even though Daniel is finding them still hehe

I also agree with what Daniel said regarding removal of holograms..

I can't believe people would stoop so low..

How can you look at any trophy or win knowing you cheated. blah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Scanlan
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran: did you try the sleeves stocked at CoolStuff? Were they compatible with the clear Ultra Pro sleeves with the hologram? I'm looking for the same - I don't want the cheap thin sleeves, I want the better quality clear sleeves with the thicker plastic. The hologram I can live without! Cheers if you can help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.