Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Wynn
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game of TTR:Europe was between Kyle(blue), Pati(yellow), Joanne(red), Kael(black) and me(green). All of us are TTR newbies. This was Joanne, Kael and my 5th game ever and Kyle & Pati's 2nd. Not very high scoring but no lack of excitement and drama!

Early in the game, Joanne(red) took the Frankfurt-Essen route which forced me(green) to go Frankfurt-Amsterdam-Essen in order to secure my long route of Cadiz to Stockholm. This was all much to Pati's(yellow) chagrin as she was heading from Wien to Stockholm and already was re-routed. Pati then thought she would tie-in from the other end by coming through the long Petrograd-Stockholm tunnel only to be usurped by Joanne in a game-ending point grab. Bazinga! Nothing like some heated sibling rivalry fought out on the rails of Europe!

In other news, Kael(black) was almost sent to bed early when he fouled up his Mom's(red) attempt to loop a route through the NorthEast to secure her bid for the European Express.

After playing a few 3-player games, we sure noticed how CROWDED things became when you jumped to 5 players!

Final scores:
Joanne 126 (73 scored; 4/4 tickets; 3 stations)
Robb 113 (55 scored; 5/5 tickets; 2 stations)
Pati 103 (51 scored; 4/4 stations; 1 station)
Kyle 100 (46 scored; 4/4 tickets; 2 stations)
Kael 96 (66 scored; 2/4 tickets; 3 stations; European Express)

What I really love about this game (so far) is that it's never over till it's over! We all thought that Kael(black) had it in the bag but didn't know he had two incomplete tickets. Pati(yellow) could possibly have won if her Petrograd to Stockholm gambit paid off. All our games also seem to have VERY narrow spreads in the points separating groups of players (7-point spread between 3/4/5 this game!)

As this is the FIRST of the TTR series we've tried I'm wondering where we should go from here? We definitely are going to run through this particular game several more times but for the next step I'm considering picking up TTR:Europa 1912 and possibly TTR:Switzerland! Might not get the original TTR just yet as it may feel like a step backward...so, when is TTR:Canada coming out, huh??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wynnr67 wrote:
As this is the FIRST of the TTR series we've tried I'm wondering where we should go from here? We definitely are going to run through this particular game several more times but for the next step I'm considering picking up TTR:Europa 1912 and possibly TTR:Switzerland! Might not get the original TTR just yet as it may feel like a step backward...so, when is TTR:Canada coming out, huh??

Once you get used to the tickets and play some more games, you'll find out the biggest problem with Europe is that most people keep their long ticket, and there are only 6 of them, so games become a bit more predictable. Therefore, Europa 1912 is a good extension because it's a cheap way to add to the ticket set.

TTR: Switzerland looks like it's out of print (see other threads around here). It used to be a cheap way to expand (although it was maxed out at 3 players) but I think the cost is getting prohibitive unless there's a reprint.

As far as the original TTR goes, not sure it's a step backward. As you'll see from the many discussions on this site it's definitely a question of taste. I like every game in the series but as opposed to quite a few others it seems, I think the strategic depth in the original beats the strategic depth in TTR:Europe, even (especially?) without stations, ferries and tunnels. There are more long routes in the original, so more opportunities to get points on the board; depending on style of play, winning may depend less on the luck you have when drawing tickets.

I'm sure TTR: Canada would feel strangely linear unless you need to go to Iqaluit or something :-) However there are 50+ homemade expansions that you can download, print and assemble. Quite a few of those expansions (France and the UK come to mind) are as good as the original boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Wynn
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I want to give the original TTR a try! The ticket aspect of the game is what appeals most to my kids (7 & 12 yrs old) especially the younger one. She loves completing them and stacking them under the dish she holds her trains in. Didn't know there were so many homemade expansions! We'll have to check them out as well as pick up a copy of Europa 1912!

Thanks for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
wynnr67 wrote:
After playing a few 3-player games, we sure noticed how CROWDED things became when you jumped to 5 players!

Five players shouldn't generally be much more crowded than three players. Maybe a little, but 3 and 5 are the two crowded numbers.

Did you notice the rule about only using one half of each double track in a 2- or 3-player game? That would make 3-player very open, when it should be fairly crowded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Probably because we did not have our first game of ticket to ride with less than 4 players for a number of games, we did not remember the rule of only being able to use one route in a double and I think it would feel horrid to go back to that now. The board feels much MORE crowded with 3 players than with 5 if you follow this rule (it's also really hard to remember when planning if you usually play with 4 or 5).

Nordic Countries and Switzerland are hard to find. If you want to get them, get them now - they will be slightly expensive but a reprint is unlikely. However I would recommend them over USA, which I find to be fairly dull after having learned the game playing Europe. Europa 1912 is an absolute must! You don't necessarily need to follow the variations of rules, just add in the new long and short routes to your standard pack and already the game is hugely improved... this really balances out the need for each route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Wynn
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh yeah...now that you mention it I DO remember reading that! Forgot to eliminate the double-routes in the 3-player. Now that we have a handle on the basics, I guess we should start following the rules although it IS gonna tighten up the 3-player game a bit!

I'll pick up TTR: Europa 1912 and will have a look for Switzerland and Nordic!

Thanks for the replies all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mely Valen
msg tools
mbmb
Hey Robb!! Could you take please a HQ picture of your Europe board??? or anyone can please? I leave you mi email: mefronme@gmail.com. Thnx so much!!!

And as you've said Robb, what this game has is that you don't know who is gonna win till the very end!! In the USA version for example, the long routes aren't dealt at the beginning so the ones who gets the long routes are probably the ones who'll win and that's beacause the longgest tickets have the biggest stretches and obviously you get more points for that and your ticket gives you lot of points too so It depends of luck so much. And is true that if you have short tickets you can take more, but the problem is that you loose turns doing that so it is not the best solution. In the Europe version that doesn't happen and that's cool. What do u think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mely Valen
msg tools
mbmb
sorry, mi email is mefrone@gmail.com I typed wrong sorry and thanx again!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mozos wrote:
And as you've said Robb, what this game has is that you don't know who is gonna win till the very end!! In the USA version for example, the long routes aren't dealt at the beginning so the ones who gets the long routes are probably the ones who'll win and that's beacause the longgest tickets have the biggest stretches and obviously you get more points for that and your ticket gives you lot of points too so It depends of luck so much. And is true that if you have short tickets you can take more, but the problem is that you loose turns doing that so it is not the best solution. In the Europe version that doesn't happen and that's cool. What do u think?

Wrong. Nothing in the rules says you need to use short routes to complete short tickets, or long routes to complete long tickets. The direct path (e.g. the one that uses the least trains) is NEVER the most efficient way to complete a ticket. In fact, I've often argued the exact opposite (and think I have a good track record to show that it works) -- if you have low-scoring tickets you need to focus on long routes MORE, not less. Of course if you have Duluth-Houston or Sault St. Marie-Oklahoma City you'll be tempted to take the direct route through the middle but it would be your mistake, not the game designer's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.